Gransnet forums

Health

bp reading

(40 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 14-Jun-17 18:30:11

Just gotback from surgery after BP tested. Got a reading of 144/71 am not sure if that is good or not. Obviously do not require meds but wondering if it should be lower. If so what can i do to help reduce it, does anyone know?

tanith Thu 15-Jun-17 22:18:15

I have had high BP for years and take 2 meds for it then recently had my second hip-replacement and had to stop taking Naproxen for the surgery. My BP has been consistently 125/80 since my surgery. I'm now taking no BP meds and am really angry that I was stupid enough not to realise that the Naproxen was the cause of my high BP. Then again I'm not a doctor.

My hip surgeon was chuffed that he not only cured my hip he also cured my High BP..smile

If you are taking Naproxen and have High BP it might be the cause. Ask for an alternative.

marmar01 Thu 15-Jun-17 21:46:26

my OH had such high reading the Drs thought the machine was broken, he wont take tablets(MEN)!! but i did convince him to start taking garlic oil capsules, the improvement is amazing,back to normalish readings

Bbnan Thu 15-Jun-17 21:33:40

ooonna is correct this is ideal reading with medication I manage to average that s....I once had a stressful day very long story... I passed out and reading was 190/85 had to stay in hospital till it went down to above reading took 3 days....a very very scary thing...very warm weather does not help it at all.

janeyjane Thu 15-Jun-17 20:52:47

Hi I work in a surgery & target BP depends on whether you have any chronic illness, in which case most places like it to be below 140. I think being just over 140 is going to be OK if you are otherwise fit & healthy. There is no normal but then who is normal??

ooonana Thu 15-Jun-17 18:21:18

Around 120/80 is a fair average I think. The diastolic which is the lower figure is the one to pay particular attention to as this reflects the elasticity of the arteries. The systolic which is the top figure is subject to lots of external factors like stress, anxiety rushing to the appointment etc. Try to get there in good time to take a few deep breaths and chill for a while before anyone comes near you with a stethoscope!

Legs55 Thu 15-Jun-17 17:50:36

I have always had very good blood pressure even when pregnant, however now I have Diabetes Type 2 they check it about every 6 months, it is a little higher now (without the Diabetes it wouldn't be a problem), nurses get very "twitchy" because I'm Diabetic but it's still within normal range. Daren't tell tell them DF died at 49, he had very high cholesterol & Anginagrin

I am overweight but due to mobility problems I can't exercise although I do what I can in the garden & take short walks even though I'm in pain, I'm only 61hmm

valeriej43 Thu 15-Jun-17 17:30:34

I have very low blood pressure, sometimes have to have a pint of blood taken ,due to too much iron[Haemochromatosis] and sometime the nurses wont take it without a Dr present in case i pass out

Gardenman99 Thu 15-Jun-17 17:28:04

That is a good blood pressure.

joannapiano Thu 15-Jun-17 17:00:31

I went to the asthma nurse for new meds, and she decided to take my BP. It was 171/101. I have white coat syndrome!
I have a machine at home and it is usually 140/85.
DH has just taken his, and it's 110/61-it's a family thing, our eldest daughter is the same. His BP is always quite low in this hot weather.

paddyann Thu 15-Jun-17 16:53:44

mine has always been high ,even when I was young .I had exceptionally high BP when pregnant and pre eclampsia to go with it which damaged a kidney .Now at the GP surgery if my top figure is around 190 the doctor doesn't blink ,I have had it go to 208 and the bottom figure well over 100 .I'm on high dose blood pressure pills ,but have a very stressful life ..most of the time, so I meditate most days in an effort to bring it down to a reasonable level ,around 155-160 over 90 is normal for me

HannahLoisLuke Thu 15-Jun-17 15:46:12

Your blood pressure is naturally a bit higher as you get older anyway.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 15-Jun-17 12:58:19

FWIW I read somewhere that a tablespoon of grated Grana Padano cheese sprinkled on your main meal each day can help with BP. This is something that I do each day and, thus far it seems to work.
I'm sure it also helps to take all the other advice on board such as possibly a Mediterranean diet, olive oil and a sensible amount of exercise.

Jennieantliff Thu 15-Jun-17 12:11:03

My BP averaged 144/75. My DR set me up with an 8hr ambulatory BP. monitor. Also took bloods, sent me to hospital for ECG and urine rest. It will take 3-4 weeks for the results to get back to the surgery. Should I be worried, it seems a bit over the top to me.

schnackie Thu 15-Jun-17 12:09:20

When I did my nurses training donkeys years ago, the best standard BP was 120/80. I imagine this is still relevant. The top number (systolic) can go up for various reasons and be ok, but if the bottom number (diastolic) got close to 100 or above, it was quite worrying. Not terribly scientific but just from memory.

Craftycat Thu 15-Jun-17 12:06:45

I don't know what is normal but I know doctor always looks surprised & says mine is very good. When I was pregnant they always took it twice as they thought it was wrong. I assume it is low but that can be bad too I think.

grandadoscar Thu 15-Jun-17 12:00:03

hi, there are normal ranges you can find on the web. the link below is a tool on the nhs website which gives and indicator of what the numbers mean

www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/blood-pressure.aspx

your GP should assess what this means to you. possibly performing a follow up reading a little later then investigating why this is. I know its unconformable but please keep asking questions of your GP/nurse.

dumdum Thu 15-Jun-17 11:57:00

I also find am very sensitive to caffeine, so mostly give normal coffee and Pepsi/coke a very wide berth.Also discovered very sensitive to weight gain, and just a small increase will raise it. Swim, dance and dog walk regularly.

Anya Thu 15-Jun-17 11:46:55

The 'bottom' reading of 71 is fine. The top reading of 144 is too high.

Did they do a second BP test, as that can be lower when you're a bit more relaxed?

Best thing you can do is lose some weight. If you are not overweight then I'd have it retested in a month to six weeks.

Wilma65 Thu 15-Jun-17 11:23:32

Mine was 160/80 last time I went to the doc but he wasn't concerned because I get really stressed when going to the docs. He said he always takes about 10 off the reading for patients that get stressed and my lower level was fine, I bought a home machine but kept getting really high readings. Then I read the instuctions which said you can't get an accurate reading on the monitor if you have an irregular heart beat which I have. I went back to the doc and he sent me for and ECG and all is fine but the home monitor is no use to me.
I too worry about heart attack/strokes but am doing more exercise, started a diet and hope that will help

Teddy123 Thu 15-Jun-17 11:13:43

The easiest way to reduce blood pressure is to only use salt whilst cooking but don't add to meal once prepared.

Mine is 130 over something or other. It's the first number which is important. 147 is slightly elevated ....

dumdum Thu 15-Jun-17 11:10:16

Have white coat syndrome so I home monitor and take results to GP appts. Usually in the region of 135 ish over 75, never had problem with the diastolic ( the lower one). I take perindopril 8mgm daily. Am diabetic so have to keep a fairly tight rein on it.

JaneD3 Thu 15-Jun-17 11:06:48

The first reading is more affected by what is going on, but your second figure is lovely and low. I wouldn't worry!

Shazmo24 Thu 15-Jun-17 10:52:20

Mine is usually around 120/65 but everyone is different

KatyK Thu 15-Jun-17 10:38:11

Mine is through the roof at the moment and I am on medication! I am totally stressed out over things happening here. I went to the GP this morning and it was sky high - far higher than those mentioned here. GP didn't seem unduly concerned. She has upped my meds and is sending me for blood tests but she didn't seem too concerned. I, on the other hand am waiting for the impending heart attack or stroke which doesn't help does it?

inishowen Thu 15-Jun-17 10:29:04

This is very apt for me as mine was 166/88 yesterday and I have been referred to the doctor. This is the third high reading I've had.