Gransnet forums

Health

Breast screening......

(87 Posts)
icbn2802 Fri 23-Jun-17 15:05:51

I've just had a letter; well to be more precise, an 'invitation' ( they can dress it up as much as they like but it's still making me very nervous) to take part in a trial they're doing, to 'screen' woman who fall just under the 50 age bracket.
Am feeling kind of anxious. And have got about another 4 weeks to sit & think & steadily wind myself up about.
I'm basically just after a bit of reassurance from others who've already been through this, it's not the sort of thing I can talk to mum about so don't really have anyone else to turn to.....

Elegran Sat 01-Jul-17 16:01:43

stella,s oncologist and her friends (also oncologists) will have been aware of all those influences and taken them into account in their research when avoiding mammograms. Most people don't have all those facts at their fingertips, hear "more likely when it is in the family" and think they are safe without considering all the other factors.

Anya Sat 01-Jul-17 15:47:40

Incidentally here is a comprehensive list of risk factors for breast cancer:-

Gettting older. The risk for breast cancer increases with age; most breast cancers are diagnosed after age 50.
Genetic mutations. Inherited changes (mutations) to certain genes, such as BRCA1 and BRCA2. Women who have inherited these genetic changes are at higher risk of breast and ovarian cancer.
Early menstrual period. Women who start their periods before age 12 are exposed to hormones longer, raising the risk for breast cancer by a small amount.
Late or no pregnancy. Having the first pregnancy after age 30 and never having a full-term pregnancy can raise breast cancer risk.
Starting menopause after age 55. Like starting one’s period early, being exposed to estrogen hormones for a longer time later in life also raises the risk of breast cancer.
Not being physically active. Women who are not physically active have a higher risk of getting breast cancer.
Being overweight or obese after menopause. Older women who are overweight or obese have a higher risk of getting breast cancer than those at a normal weight.
Having dense breasts. Dense breasts have more connective tissue than fatty tissue, which can sometimes make it hard to see tumors on a mammogram. Women with dense breasts are more likely to get breast cancer.
Using combination hormone therapy. Taking hormones to replace missing estrogen and progesterone in menopause for more than five years raises the risk for breast cancer. The hormones that have been shown to increase risk are estrogen and progestin when taken together.
Taking oral contraceptives (birth control pills). Certain forms of oral contraceptive pills have been found to raise breast cancer risk.
Personal history of breast cancer. Women who have had breast cancer are more likely to get breast cancer a second time.
Personal history of certain non-cancerous breast diseases. Some non-cancerous breast diseases such as atypical hyperplasia or lobular carcinoma in situ are associated with a higher risk of getting breast cancer.
Family history of breast cancer. A woman’s risk for breast cancer is higher if she has a mother, sister, or daughter (first-degree relative) or multiple family members on either her mother’s or father’s side of the family who have had breast cancer. Having a first-degree male relative with breast cancer also raises a woman’s risk.
Previous treatment using radiation therapy. Women who had radiation therapy to the chest or breasts (like for treatment of Hodgkin’s lymphoma) before age 30 have a higher risk of getting breast cancer later in life.
Women who took the drug diethylstilbestrol (DES), which was given to some pregnant women in the United States between 1940 and 1971 to prevent miscarriage, have a higher risk. Women whose mothers took DES while pregnant with them are also at risk.
Drinking alcohol. Studies show that a woman’s risk for breast cancer increases with the more alcohol she drinks.

Anya Sat 01-Jul-17 15:41:36

She said, I said, she told me.....very interesting but all inadmissible in evidence as hearsay. Yes, we are all entitled to our opinions, but when we seek to dissuade others from a non-invasive, potentially life-saving procedure, which lasts only minutes, then it ceases just to be an opinion and ventures into the realms of persuading others to follow your example. I call that irresponsible.

I just hope you are not one of the many, with no family history of breast cancer, who succumbs to this disease.

Stella14 Sat 01-Jul-17 13:17:49

Mawbroon and others that have an issue with my point about 'no family history of breast cancer'. Statistically, there is a higher risk of the condition if close relatives have suffered from it. I suppose you would be speechless to learn that I told a female Gynaecologist (I was seeing her for an unrelated matter) my reasons for choosing not to attend mammograms. I asked her if she thought I was being foolish. She said "not at all", since I had researched it properly. She also told me that she had several female Oncologist friends who chose not to have mammograms themselves for the same reasons and having taken account of there being no family history of breast cancer. Now you really do have something to shake your heads at. It is possible to respect someones differing opinion!

Desdemona Wed 28-Jun-17 16:52:28

I had my first mammogram yesterday, was worried beforehand but had no need to be - I was in and out in five minutes and the staff were very friendly, matter of fact and efficient, so I would definitely say please don't worry about them x

Desdemona Mon 26-Jun-17 16:39:57

I was 50 last week and received an invitation on my birthday, for an appointment which is tomorrow!

I too, am very nervous to be honest - but I am going nonetheless having known several women who have suffered breast cancer.

I even find going for a haircut stressful, so am not expecting this to be a picnic....

icbn2802 Mon 26-Jun-17 16:05:20

I guess I'm looking at the bigger picture as such & it's making me nervous. Lost my father in law to cancer only a month ago so guess because we've had such a recent tragedy that it's heightened my anxiety about the results. Am very body conscious as well so all in all will be most glad once the whole things done & my dignity can be restored.

W11girl Sun 25-Jun-17 09:50:04

Nothing to worry about...be glad of the opportunity to be screened. I have been screened for quite some years now, purely because of my age, for breast and bowel cancer and I am glad of it. On the last breast screening, there was a shadow that needed investigating and on the last bowel screening I had a polyp removed...neither of which showed symptoms and neither of which were detrimental to my health..I was so pleased these things were found early and dealt with.

willa45 Sat 24-Jun-17 22:44:22

A smart woman doctor gave me a tip a few years ago (for those of us who are more sensitive). A small dose of Advil or Tylenol about an hour before screening helps dull the 'experience'. Trust me, it really works!

HootyMcOwlface Sat 24-Jun-17 22:41:41

It sounds stupid, but having my boobs squished always gives me a claustrophobic feeling! Weird.

As for pain (sorry, not read full thread, so might have already been mentioned) - I was told the bigger you are the better, it is the less well endowed that feel more discomfort. I'm not big and do find it uncomfortable, but it only lasts a very short while, so it's not too bad, it's the claustrophobia feeling I hate.

00mam00 Sat 24-Jun-17 20:57:57

My cancer was found during a routine mammogram. They said it was very small and was soon dealt with. A good friend of mine had exactly the same happen. I would never hesitate to advise women to be checked. The discomfort is soon over and forgotten and could be life saving.

However, no one should feel pressurised to go through something they find scary or do not agree with.

Thebeeb Sat 24-Jun-17 20:36:17

My very first mammogram 15 years ago brought up a very deep grade 2 cancer. Successfully treated. Three weeks ago another routine one found calcifications which need removing and subsequent radiotherapy. I had no idea either time. The staff, nurses, radiographers and consultants are kind, efficient and nothing is too much trouble.

Please try not to be anxious and good luck.

jocarter Sat 24-Jun-17 20:32:01

You will come out of there wondering why you had been nervous, it's truly not a problem. Just relax and treat yourself to a nice coffee afterwards

Piggypoo Sat 24-Jun-17 20:17:20

I am 47, and have just had this done, I was invited too, and jumped at the chance, I was a little apprehensive, but found the whole process quick and although a wee bit uncomfortable, the staff put me at ease and explained the process step by step. Don't worry, it'll be over before you know it.

Diddy1 Sat 24-Jun-17 19:47:32

I have been going for years, but am now out of the age range, but will keep going without an invitation. I honestly have never felt any uncomfort or pain, one thing did bother me, being claustraphobic, I asked the Nurse what happens if the electricity fails, she smiled and said "we just wind it up by hand and release you"
The electricity has never failed, there is NO need to worry, just go for it!

Charleygirl Sat 24-Jun-17 18:02:19

juggernaut that was not my problem- I think I was one of the few who did not make a fuss and I lived close by.

downsized Sat 24-Jun-17 17:45:40

My sister was 48 when she found two lumps in her breast. She was too young to have been offered a mammogram.(this was in 2000). She died 6 years later.

My eldest sister was 65 when she found a lump in her breast. She had always gone for her routine mammograms and was almost due for another one. She died six years later.

My cousin was 58 when she found her lump which had not shown on her last mammogram. She died two years later.

I've had mammograms privately since I was 42, as they are not offered routinely here until you are 50. I have never found them painful.

To the person who commented they had 'no history of breast cancer' in the family, neither did we until my sister was diagnosed in 2000. She breastfed her three babies as well. It doesn't follow. Please get tested. flowers

Juggernaut Sat 24-Jun-17 17:25:37

I always attend for my mammograms, my mum had breast cancer when she was in her seventies, so I'm careful.
Like, Charleygirl, I've been asked a few times if I could attend without any actual button press happening, to give trainees experience of dealing with big boobs. Apparently some of us have breasts which are too large for the scanner to get in one shot from each angle, and we have to be manouvered backwards and forwards a few times!
There is a plus point to big boobs though, if I fall over forwards I'll never damage my face wink

Elegran Sat 24-Jun-17 16:45:06

Do go again, Legs55 I think they have improved since I went for my first one. Having had one lump removed doesn't mean that you have had your ration and will never get another. The random mutation which causes a spontaneous growth could strike again at random.

Charleygirl Sat 24-Jun-17 16:37:43

many years ago I was asked by the radiographer if I would go several times to act as a guinea pig for student radiographers. It was to get the positioning correct without pressing the button. I was asked because it did not bother me- a slight squash and it was over.

M0nica Sat 24-Jun-17 16:24:24

Breast cancer wasn't in my family - until my aunt was diagnosed with it.

Breast cancer is not genetically determined, except in a small number of families with a very specific gene, usually associated with early onset breast cancer.

cc Sat 24-Jun-17 16:21:12

Do go, even if it isn't pleasant. Several of my friends have had breast cancer which was picked up at these screenings. I've been for the NHS test a few times but think I may be too old for another - in which case I'll definitely pay to be screened again. My aunt had breast cancer in her 70's which was not picked up.

Same goes for cervical smear tests, I've always gone for the screening and have had minor treatment, as have many of my friends. I'm told that they are not really necessary after 65 but will be checking this out!!

Legs55 Sat 24-Jun-17 16:13:08

I will no longer go for my Mammograms, I do find them painful but as my last one was about 12 years ago maybe they are better now. I have refused the last two "invitations", I am 61.

I developed a Breast lump about 15 years ago which resulted in mammogram & ultra-sound at Hospital, satisfied it was a benign lump, Consultant had not worries. 10 years ago I had my 1st (& last) routine mammogram, because my little tumour had grown slightly & position of it (underneath my breast but would become an irritant if it continued to grow) I was referred to special Breast Cancer Unit, 3 appointments, 2 ultra-sounds, 2 needle aspirations, 1 biopsy later I was referred to local Hospital where I had the lump removed. I had several problems & just before a routine follow-up appointment I noticed a smell like bad bloodblush. At my appointment I was told I had to be at Hospital for 8 next morning for 2nd operation. If I had left it any longer I would have developed sepsis. I had to have wound packed with dressings for a few weeks until it finally healed. I have so much scar tissue now so I self examine.

Sorry for the long explanation of my personal feelings however I would encourage any woman to go & not be frightened, staff are second to none, after all it may save your life. My DD will have to go regularly as her half-sister had early (in her 40s) Breast Cancer. Good luck & overall don't worryflowers

Elegran Sat 24-Jun-17 15:37:16

In my DH's family there was no-one with bowel cancer, but he died of it. In many families there is no history of being run down by a bus, but most people take care crossing the road.

MawBroon Sat 24-Jun-17 15:33:09

Some heads firmly in the sand it seems.
Statistically that may not make a huge difference overall, but for ONE person it may be the difference between life and death.
"No history of breast cancer in our family"??? hmm
Speechless!