Gransnet forums

Health

Breast screening......

(86 Posts)
icbn2802 Fri 23-Jun-17 15:05:51

I've just had a letter; well to be more precise, an 'invitation' ( they can dress it up as much as they like but it's still making me very nervous) to take part in a trial they're doing, to 'screen' woman who fall just under the 50 age bracket.
Am feeling kind of anxious. And have got about another 4 weeks to sit & think & steadily wind myself up about.
I'm basically just after a bit of reassurance from others who've already been through this, it's not the sort of thing I can talk to mum about so don't really have anyone else to turn to.....

tanith Fri 23-Jun-17 15:11:07

No need to be anxious I've always found it uncomfortable but not painful but it brought reassurance, a small price to pay in my book.

devongirl Fri 23-Jun-17 15:12:56

I agree, your boobs are squashed (rather uncomfortably) but nothing more than that. In the unlikely event that anything was found, early detection is ultra-important - go!!

Teetime Fri 23-Jun-17 15:21:51

I agree I always went for my scans and glad I did- I took a couple of paracetomol before I went and that seemed to help any discomfort. I am having one on Monday - I now fall outside the age range but we are invited to continue here if we want and I do. The radiographers are usually very nice and it doesn't take long. Good Luck with it- you'll wonder why you worried honestly you will. {flowers]

hulahoop Fri 23-Jun-17 15:22:10

Go for it bit uncomfortable but bearable

nonnasusie Fri 23-Jun-17 15:25:12

I have one tomorrow!! 35c here at the moment! No deodorant allowed ! I feel sorry for the radiographer ??! Probably my last one as I also will be outside the age range!

NanaandGrampy Fri 23-Jun-17 15:26:48

Def go for it . As everyone has said , a few moments of discomfort and it's done .

MawBroon Fri 23-Jun-17 15:31:26

Feel free to ignore this pic!! grin
The machines are much much less painful than when I first had "mammiegrams" and the manufacturers seem to have realised we women don't come in straight lines and right angles. I can honestly say the last one and the one before were a doddle, but the suggestion of taking a couple of paracetamols twenty minutes or so before is a good one. A tot of brandy does it too, but I expect you are driving ?
Good luck!

nanaK54 Fri 23-Jun-17 15:32:10

Another one saying 'go for it' - it is uncomfortable but hopefully not painful

icbn2802 Fri 23-Jun-17 15:40:01

Is it more painful/uncomfortable if you have 'more to squish', just out of interest. I will definitely go but just wondering whether having a smaller chest is an advantage or not ?

dbDB77 Fri 23-Jun-17 16:00:41

I agree with MawBroon - it used to be uncomfortable - nothing painful - but now the new machine is not even uncomfortable - a doddle indeed.

Greenfinch Fri 23-Jun-17 16:19:15

I am at the other end of the scale.I had the invitation to take part in a trial for the over seventies which I accepted without hesitation.Having had 20 years of mammograms I can honestly say I have never found them either painful or even uncomfortable.Just a squashed feeling and then it is all over with.

devongirl Fri 23-Jun-17 16:53:26

Quite right Greenfinch, the trial covers age extension at both ends of the screening program, though it has always been possible to request a mammogram if you are over the upper age range for being sent an invitation.

LadyGracie Fri 23-Jun-17 17:37:02

It is uncomfortable but well worth it, I haven't a lot to squeeze. My follow up letter saying everything was ok also advised that my next mammogram in 3 years at the age of 69 would be my last. I live in Wales, as far as I'm aware there are no extensions here.

M0nica Fri 23-Jun-17 18:35:03

I have been selected for a trial screening women over 70. I think I am due at least one more.

Even though you no longer automatically get called for screening after a certain age, you can ask for a mammogram if you want one.

Although I know mammograms are less effective as you get older, but many older women are diagnosed with that cancer so I intend to ask for one every three years

rosesarered Fri 23-Jun-17 19:14:01

A friend of mine aged 74 asked if she could have one done recently, went along, and they found a lump.Cancerous, she had it removed really quickly....but if she hadn't gone along for a screening, who knows.She had not detected anything herself and had no pains.
icbn Only you can decide, but screening does pick up a number of people who have cancer before they know it themselves.
Only done every three years of course, but still worth doing.

icbn2802 Fri 23-Jun-17 19:19:36

I'm definitely having this done. I was just wanting some insight into what it's actually like. I've never missed a cervical screening; as undignified as they can be I'm very aware just how important they can be. So I won't be turning down this 'opportunity' for want of a better term!
Thanks everyone for your comments ?

Grannyben Fri 23-Jun-17 21:20:20

I was called for screening when I was 49 and I've just recently been for my second one, three years later. It's literally 5 minutes. You go in the cubicle, whip your top and bra off, put your cardigan/jacket back on then wait to be called through. Each boob gets scans from a number of angles and thats it. I haven't got big boobs and I must say I've found a couple of the positions quite painful but the pain has gone as soon as the plate lifts up. Good luck, it really is worth doing

Deedaa Fri 23-Jun-17 22:25:38

At least with this one you get to keep your knickers on grin

paddyann Fri 23-Jun-17 23:39:38

I've had my smear test,my mammogram AND my bowel cancer check all within the last couple of weeks ,I'm wondering if there are more checks on their way ,I've been waiting over 3 weeks foor an appointment for an MRI scan which is unusual here ,usually appointments are quick,so I might call them Monday and hopefully no more Doctors for a long while

Shazmo24 Sat 24-Jun-17 09:08:42

Just do it! I have breast cancer in my family so have had mamagrams from the age of 35 (I'm now 56)...I'd rather do it than not Just let the radiographer place your breasts where they need them to be and it will be over in moments..It does feel strange them being flattened but the discomfort is over in moments

Disgruntled Sat 24-Jun-17 09:17:30

Can I throw in a note of caution here - thermography is safer and more effective than mammography, but you have to pay for it.

MinniesMum Sat 24-Jun-17 09:25:25

icbn280 Please, please don't be anxious. It is only an X-ray although a little uncomfortable, it is very quick. I went along dutifully for years with negative results until .... 2004 when I was called back as they had "found something". The doctor examined me and couldn't feel a lump but showed me the Xray and there was a huge dark splodge all across my right breat. She thought it was a cyst so inserted a needle and I watch as the dark blotched disappeared into the syringe. I can only describe the relief as the same as the moments after giving birth when the pain and pushing stops!
I did ask her if it could turn to cancer and she said that was quite possible. I also asked her if it had anything to do with taking HRT and she did say "it is beginning to look like it for some women" I had already stopped HRT by then.
With all the cuts to services going on at present, we are so very very lucky to have this sort of support and care.

Elegran Sat 24-Jun-17 09:30:11

You say it's not the sort of thing you can talk to mum about, *icbn2802, but your mum must be about 70+ so she has either done it, in which case she knows all about it and the pair of you, as grown women, could exchange notes, or she hasn't done it but ignored all the "invitations", so talking about your experience could push her to go and have it done too.

luluaugust Sat 24-Jun-17 09:41:05

Honestly, quickly done and out the way, do take up all the delightful tests you are offered as the years go on flowers