Gransnet forums

Health

Diet Coke

(132 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 28-Jun-17 12:56:10

I am a diet coke addict. I don't say this with any sense of humour. I am a true addict. I easily drink 6+ cans a day and it was rising. So last week I decided to take control. I haven't had any diet coke since Saturday and it's killing me. I am having so many withdrawal symptoms. It's far worse than when I gave up smoking. I've sorted out the headaches by drinking coffee. I guess that was the caffeine withdrawal. But I'm continually thirsty and hungry. I'm drinking lots of water. Easily more than 2 litres a day but the thirst is always there.

I'm hoping that as the days go on it will get easier like when I stopped smoking and that this excessive thirst and hunger is the diet coke version of the stop smoking cough.

Has anyone else given up diet coke or anything similar?

vampirequeen Sun 17-Sep-17 16:45:20

I've drunk lime and soda a couple of times. It's nice and it keeps my mam happy when we go out for lunch lol.

Morgana Sun 17-Sep-17 15:56:04

I drink a lot of hot water but recently discovered I like soda water with a slug of lime. Re sweeteners I believe they are really bad for us. D.H. had terrible hip and leg pains until he stopped using sweeteners in his tea.

vampirequeen Sun 17-Sep-17 13:26:59

That's brilliant. Sadly I know myself to well and one Diet Coke would lead to another.

People's attitudes have been very odd since I gave up. Some have been supportive (like here ....thanks everyone cos it really helped) but others have almost tried to keep me addicted even though they don't drink it themselves.

I went to lunch with my mam and, although she has always complained about Diet Coke, she wasn't happy with me drinking plain water.

Another person asked what I drank instead so I said, ' Mainly water but I drink coffee too.' She was horrified and asked how I could possibly drink water with no flavouring.

In fact the water issue is the thing that people seem unable to cope with. I don't understand it. We're designed to drink water. Some make suggestions of what I could drink instead (often other forms of diet drink lol). But most simply seem to go into shock at the concept of not adulterating my water with coffee, tea, a range of juices or some chemical mixed flavouring.

Menopaws Thu 14-Sep-17 23:13:32

Hi VQ, was thinking about you the other day as well! I'm doing well, I got to 60 days but made a conscious decision to have a drink at my husbands 60th birthday party the following day but I waited until well into the evening and really enjoyed it and yes overdid it a little, had a couple of glasses the following day as my daughters 30th and then back to nothing since then, I really feel in control and can decide to have a drink for an occasion but not really fussed otherwise.
Feel I've cracked it but very aware not to get too complacent, how you getting on?

Lindy2017 Thu 14-Sep-17 21:59:38

Well done vampire queen ?I gave up Diet Coke a few years ago as I found the aspartame was actually making me hungry and jittery - I guess the caffeine wasn't helping either! I felt much better once I kicked it. Took a couple of weeks but I've never craved it since.
Just as an aside, do you like tonic water (not sure whether it has sweeteners though.....)

vampirequeen Thu 14-Sep-17 11:39:11

How are you doing Menopaws?

vampirequeen Thu 14-Sep-17 11:38:51

Will be 12 weeks tomorrow. I only miss it if I let myself get really thirsty so I try not to. I fancy it sometimes but won't let myself have even one because I know what will happen. Twice, when I've been incredibly thirsty and water hasn't been available, I've had full sugar Sprite (no aspartame). I couldn't get over how sweet it tasted. DH and children told me that Diet Coke is just as sweet but it didn't taste like that to me. So I guess I'm tasting 'sweet' more than I used to.

Health wise has been more difficult but it's possible that after the initial withdrawal symptoms it's just been coincidental.

Jalima1108 Sat 12-Aug-17 10:21:40

vq if you put the money in a jar each day you could feel very pleased with yourself and then treat yourself to something nice and pampering - a spa day perhaps?

vampirequeen Sat 12-Aug-17 10:18:44

Oddly I haven't noticed any extra money in my purse sad but it would be about £90.

It's nice not to be panicking about Diet Coke anymore. I used to panic if I had only two left in the fridge and would be worrying about getting out for more. In the past I have been known to buy Diet Coke instead of food.

Riverwalk Sat 12-Aug-17 09:36:41

Have you worked out how much money you've saved?

vampirequeen Sat 12-Aug-17 08:41:57

You have been lucky. It starts with one can a day and escalates.

devongirl Fri 11-Aug-17 15:19:29

I consider myself very lucky: I had a serious accident last year, before that I used to drink a can of Coke every lunchtime, but none during my 3 weeks in hospital nad lost the craving altogether, I could count on one hand the cans I've drunk since then.

vampirequeen Fri 11-Aug-17 15:14:38

Thanks Anya. Yes it was/is a true addiction. I'll never be able to drink it again because I know myself and I'll be hooked again straight away.

Anya Fri 11-Aug-17 07:09:35

You can't give up now, you've come so far.

Well done VQ - this has been a real adddiction hasn't it?

vampirequeen Fri 11-Aug-17 06:59:24

7 weeks today. Things beginning to settle down (fingers crossed). I've found that the cravings increase if I let myself get thirsty so I keep topping up with water or coffee. It still feels weird not having several cans in the fridge and not buying it in the supermarket but overall I think I might be getting there. Hope I haven't jinxed myself saying that hmm

vampirequeen Sun 06-Aug-17 08:52:45

The constant thirst is beginning to reduce at last. My digestive system is still a bit dodgy but I think that might be settling too. The cravings are there but they're more manageable.

vampirequeen Sun 06-Aug-17 08:49:47

I haven't drunk alcohol for decades. I don't really like the taste let alone the affects it has on me. Also ex was an alcoholic so drunk people scare me. I don't understand why people feel they need to drink to have a good time.

Yesterday we took the children to their mam and stepdad at a holiday camp they're going to stay at this week. We got there about 10.30am and people were already drinking. Why?????

Luckylegs9 Sun 06-Aug-17 07:42:00

Vampire lady, visit the doctor, that constant thirst might be an indication of something else. I would try to get a taste for eating apples and drinking water, think of your new trim figure and sparkling teeth.?

NanKate Sun 06-Aug-17 07:22:28

Mega respect to you both. It must be so difficult.

The upside is that you both should live a longer and healthier life because of your strength of character.

Keep at it. flowers flowers

Menopaws Sun 06-Aug-17 06:51:56

I've become an alcohol tutter! Went to a fancy lunch yesterday and drank water etc, lovely afternoon but left early as could see it going on and on, my husband returned home at 2am very worse for wear and I had waited up mainly cos I watched a good film. Now in the morning he is creeping about trying to look normal and I am obv on here but heard myself tut and say serves you right!!
I am so pleased that I feel bright and breezy and not shit like I would have done if I had stayed on, for once I didn't feel I needed to explain why I didn't stay or feel I had to be last man standing, so feeling good but must rein it in when it comes to what others do!

M0nica Sat 05-Aug-17 19:06:57

I am full of admiration for both of you.

Menopaws Fri 04-Aug-17 21:57:07

I thought I posted earlier so apologies if it appears twice, anyway 45 days now so still good, feel fine although I need to curb eating as put weight back on I lost initially, two social weeks coming up but I feel strong and don't want to go back to day one, well done VQ

Nanabilly Fri 04-Aug-17 08:56:43

6 weeks wow . Well done you .I'm sure that eventually you will feel so much better ,once all of those chemicals have left your system and your body detoxed.
Be proud of yourself.

vampirequeen Fri 04-Aug-17 08:45:40

6 weeks today. Physically still not 100% but much better. Cravings still there but not as much. Worse in Diet Coke buying situations like shopping or cafes.

How are you Menopaws?

vampirequeen Fri 28-Jul-17 19:20:05

Your doing really well Menopaws.

I'm beginning to feel better, seacliff. The physical withdrawal symptoms were terrible at first but now they've eased off. It's just the cravings now.