Gransnet forums

Health

Sanitary protection when money is tight

(71 Posts)
pensionpat Sat 01-Jul-17 11:55:44

At Food Bank yesterday we were discussing the difficulties in affording sanitary wear. Apparently some girls miss school regularly every month, and there has been a death due to a girl leaving in her tampon and having toxic shock syndrome.

We shall appeal for donations, but can't think of the best way to distribute them. One volunteer has talked to local schools, but they have refused to be part of the solution. Understandable since their resources are spread thinly. I'm sure this might be the case in GP surgeries too.

A suggestion was made to ask voucher holders if they would like some supplies to be included with their food, but this is restricting the help to Food Bank clients. Plus the old argument of potential embarrassment to either client or volunteer.

Have any of you tackled this issue or have any ideas?

whitewave Sat 01-Jul-17 15:19:03

rose what is so sad is that you would rather push the idea that there are chaotic, neglectful households when talking about food banks, which in turn feeds into the idea of the undeserving poor.

Those working in food banks know different - I suggest you read Frank Fields report. At least you would then be a little more informed.

So agreeing with you that your childhood was poor as was so many others during that post war period is daring to tell you what you childhood was like!!!!????

rosesarered Sat 01-Jul-17 16:17:11

ww you know nothing as to what my childhood was like it was not like many others it was worse in oh so many ways and am sure that I know a great deal more than you do about poor and chaotic lifestyles!
You are going OTT with your posts at the moment, they are rude, patronising and
Unpleasant, is this your caring left wing side?

pensionpat Sat 01-Jul-17 17:55:20

Thank you all for your contributions. We are meeting to discuss the issue. You have been my focus group.

Katek Sat 01-Jul-17 18:07:30

Just had quick look on Tesco.....they sell 10/16 towels in either normal or night time absorbencies for 25p and 70p. Tampons are 24 for £1 (non applicator) or 20 for £1 (with applicator)

Very reasonably priced I thought.

Tegan2 Sat 01-Jul-17 18:28:15

Of course, there's also the problem that teenage girls get so embarrassed about such things [I know I did, and I'm sure things haven't changed much since then]. I even used to feel embarrassed buying tampons or sanitary towels, although, strangely enough felt ok when I was buying such items for my daughter. I'm not sure that I would have asked at school for such things if I'd unexpectedly needed them.

glammanana Sat 01-Jul-17 18:54:12

Pensionpat Morrisons do have stick on towels at 25p for 10/12 pack light or heavy use ideal for young ladies to keep in their school back packs.

GracesGranMK2 Sat 01-Jul-17 19:19:13

Who was it who put the information on recently that some people see those who are poor to blame for all their problems and some see society as the problem.

I suppose that those who come down hard on one side or the other will not be convinced by the others argument but I have to say I feel that comments such as ninny has made are intemperate. I am sure some girls are left without because their parent or parents are unable to manage the chaos of their lives but that doesn't mean being judgemental will solve the problem for the girls concerned - surely you want to help them not make pillorying their parents your priority.

There are also parents who will simply not have that money ninny. Not because they haven't done everything they can but simply because the in-work cuts have left them cutting back, and then cutting back again when the next attack on them comes along. The very fact that you do not realise that, in this day and age, you can get to the point where you actually don't have £1.75 shows you really don't understand what the cuts have done and it makes me wonder about how much you just choose not to understand because it is easier to blame the individual every time than look at what your vote is doing to your neighbour.

I am sorry pensionpat I haven't come up with any useful suggestions but flowers to you for what you are doing.

I have just remembered a line from a chap who researched and wrote a book about communities in poverty in the USA. He said that it is not making bad decisions that made the people he got to know poor, it was poverty that made poor decisions the only ones left they could make.

Cherrytree59 Sat 01-Jul-17 19:20:03

I remember writing a letter with a group of girls in my year at senior school to our local MP regarding sanitary wear.
Our point being that it was a biological fact of life that was out of a female control.
As it did not affect males it was in our view discriminatory to charge for sanitary wear.
We felt that basic sanitary products should be free.
We were about 13 or 14 at the time.
I can't remember if we had a reply.

Maggiemaybe Sat 01-Jul-17 19:33:52

As you say, pensionpat, just asking basic questions about the households of food bank users should enable you to add sanitary products to the supplies of those with girls and women of the target age group. As for the wider community, the primary school I used to work in just left a basket of products in each of the appropriate toilets for older pupils or staff to take if needed. It wasn't a huge expense, and didn't take much effort. The cleaners just topped them up along with the soap, paper towels, etc. I'm really surprised that your local schools don't want to work with you, especially if you're offering to donate the products.

Perhaps it's time sanitary products were available on the NHS. I doubt that women who can afford them would take advantage of this - even though free condoms are available, most people surely still buy their own - but they'd be there for those who needed them.

The comments on here targeted at other posters and doubting or downplaying their personal experiences are completely uncalled for. Rude, patronising and unpleasant, as Roses says.

Ilovecheese Sat 01-Jul-17 19:39:17

Whether the girls are without sanitary products because their parents have run out of money or whether they are not very good with money, doesn't alter the fact that the girls need the products.

ninny Sat 01-Jul-17 19:52:43

Gracesgran, Katek in her post said that you can get 24 Tampax for £1, I am sure even the most chaotic and poorest of our society can pay that for their daughters to have sanitary protection so they can attend school if they won't then they are unfit to be parents. Perhaps I am not as gullible and naive as you seem to be.

annsixty Sat 01-Jul-17 20:12:22

As someone who started menstruating in 1948 I can assure you that few of you know just what it was like. Being the child of a single ( widowed mother) I had to endure cloths which were laundered and I wouldn't want any young girl to go through that. Any scheme I could contribute to I will. Please tell me how I can.

Katek Sat 01-Jul-17 20:35:18

Why doesn't your food bank simply make up hygiene packs and put the tampons/towels in there? One of our local churches makes up packs from donated items in cheap/recycled make up bags-toothpaste/brush/deodorant/shampoo/soap/ comb/sanitary products.etc. The packs are distributed to food banks and the women's refuge. That way you would only need to ask if anyone wanted hygiene/personal care pack, whatever you want to call it.

Doesn't take a lot to make up these packs-I've done them many times for shoebox appeals, you can buy 2 toothbrushes for 17p and not a lot more for the other contents. A partnership programme with local church/WI/school/Guides could work well.

MamaCaz Sat 01-Jul-17 20:41:02

I would probably have needed at least 10 tampons a day as a teenager, and sanitary towels too to avoid 'accidents'' when the tampons needed changing! That's quite a few boxes per period - and I was having periods every 3 weeks too. I dread to think how I would have coped if my family had been struggling for money.

Deeana1 Sat 01-Jul-17 20:42:24

I've got to say although I donate food items to the local food bank , it's never occurred to me to donate feminine products like tampax or sanitary towels..

I had a very difficult, poor and abusive childhood and I was left without sanitary protection sometimes when I was a teen..and like a previous poster had to utilise rolled up toilet paper or whatever I could every month.

Thank you for raising this issue, from now On I'll ensure that I donate sanitary items along with basic food items...

GracesGranMK2 Sat 01-Jul-17 21:59:40

Perhaps I am not as gullible and naive as you seem to be.

?sad

Anya Sat 01-Jul-17 22:50:14

Yes PensionPat thank you for raising this issue. I too will add these to any donations I make to food banks in future.

paddyann Sat 01-Jul-17 23:21:48

isn't it sad that people who had awful deprived childhoods are happy to stand back and watch young people suffer in the same way you'd think they'd want to make sure nobody had to live the horrible lives they did ,this I did it so why cant you attitude makes me despair of the people in this country .

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 01-Jul-17 23:23:54

This is actually quite a hot topic and there's been several campaigns and petitions about the cost of sanitary products for poorer families and homeless women. Girls are missing school because of the lack of protection or are given it by friends, etc.

I've been supporting this campaign - Homeless women and sanitary products

I know Justine Greening has been involved in campaigns for school girls on free school meals to also get free sanitary products. Some big names have been helping out - Proctor and Gamble, Boots and British Gas. Have a look online for more information and see if you can network with somewhere.

A couple of months ago I also read about donating products like sanitary products and personal toiletries to foodbanks because it's not something that people think of when they're dropping something in the donation box. Since then, that's what I have donated. I'm sure clients will be grateful to be offered them and would just ask if they need anything. I'm sure many feel bad enough having to use a food bank and will be glad of the thoughtfulness.

Deeana1 Sat 01-Jul-17 23:45:28

I've signed that petition... thanks for posting the link wilma

durhamjen Sun 02-Jul-17 00:03:57

The Trussell Trust provide sanitary wear to anyone who needs it. They take it, too.
The government is supposed to be giving all the VAT from sanitary products to the Trussell Trust.

Maggiemaybe Sun 02-Jul-17 00:13:49

isn't it sad that people who had awful deprived childhoods are happy to stand back and watch young people suffer in the same way you'd think they'd want to make sure nobody had to live the horrible lives they did ,this I did it so why cant you attitude makes me despair of the people in this country .

Who's said that then, *Paddyann? I must have missed it. confused

durhamjen Sun 02-Jul-17 00:21:51

Two people on the first page have said that it was neglect, Maggie. Not very pleasant.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 02-Jul-17 00:39:13

If I still needed protection I would definitely try the more environmentally friendly alternatives to pads and tampons. It's also much cheaper. Apart from the mooncup style designs, you can get reusable pads, sponges and the latest is period pants. The last one appeals to me and I've watched several reviews on the YouTube that give them the thumbs up.

I too have resorted to folded loo roll many times and I remember my Mum giving me one of her old sanitary belts. Pretty hopeless most of the time and my knickers always had horrible stained gusset edges. Thank goodness for stick on pads.

I find it hard to believe that some posters don't believe daughters can be left with out supplies. It's nothing new either. Talk about not being aware of the problems children can have because their parents lack some of the skills to be good parents.

Maggiemaybe Sun 02-Jul-17 01:01:53

Well yes, posters have said that it was neglect, dj, and that is what they think could be the cause of the girl's suffering, in some cases. That doesn't mean they are any less sympathetic to the girls affected. We can disagree about the cause, but nobody has said or implied that they are happy to stand back and watch young people suffer. I think that's offensive.