Gransnet forums

Health

Sanitary protection when money is tight

(71 Posts)
pensionpat Sat 01-Jul-17 11:55:44

At Food Bank yesterday we were discussing the difficulties in affording sanitary wear. Apparently some girls miss school regularly every month, and there has been a death due to a girl leaving in her tampon and having toxic shock syndrome.

We shall appeal for donations, but can't think of the best way to distribute them. One volunteer has talked to local schools, but they have refused to be part of the solution. Understandable since their resources are spread thinly. I'm sure this might be the case in GP surgeries too.

A suggestion was made to ask voucher holders if they would like some supplies to be included with their food, but this is restricting the help to Food Bank clients. Plus the old argument of potential embarrassment to either client or volunteer.

Have any of you tackled this issue or have any ideas?

ninny Sun 02-Jul-17 08:55:08

durhamjen in my world if you have children and then you don't look after them,then you are neglecting them. I have every sympathy for these girls.

durhamjen Sun 02-Jul-17 09:07:41

skwawkbox.org/2017/07/01/video-dont-watch-if-you-afraid-of-having-your-life-changed-so-pls-do-watchshare/

That's silly, ninny.
When you have children you do not know what is going to happen next, particularly in the modern system where you can end up going to food banks because you have been sanctioned.

You think everybody who ends up with nothing but her children should abandon them to the state rather than 'neglect' them?
The link is to a TED talk.

GracesGranMK2 Sun 02-Jul-17 09:22:57

If your first breath is used to judge the parent (the mother was noticeably specified - what if there isn't one?) rather than think of ways to deal with the problem - particularly when you do not know the individual circumstances - and you show a complete lack of understanding about what recent policies have done to the working poor then I think criticism is not as unreasonable as you make it seem Maggiemaybe.

I still haven't come up with any ideas but will, as others have said, put some sanitary towels in the collection box in the supermarket. I do think schools should have them available. I know one of the places I worked used to have a little basket with some in the ladies loo. Apparently it was cheaper than paying for a vending machine.

rosesarered Sun 02-Jul-17 09:24:01

ninny I know exactly what you are saying, but dj thinks that every problem is about money only .

ninny Sun 02-Jul-17 09:26:51

I don't watch dubious links, surely they should have been more diligent and followed the rules re benefits and then they wouldn't have been sanctioned in the first place. Anyway I'm finished with this thread.

rosesarered Sun 02-Jul-17 09:28:08

Nobody at all on here has said that they have no sympathy for the girls concerned, or even for the families.Some of us though do understand that there are problems that money alone will not solve.Free products at school and available at food banks is a good idea, and perhaps already are there in some areas.

ninny Sun 02-Jul-17 09:29:25

Thanks rosearered but think we are flogging a dead horse with this one.

rosesarered Sun 02-Jul-17 09:30:06

smile quite probably.

durhamjen Sun 02-Jul-17 09:46:08

Every link I put on is dubious according to some people.
How do you know if a link is dubious or not?
Lots of people, including Baggs, link to TED talks.

That link specifically mentions using socks as sanitary towels, and having a child, that child being the only thing left when you have no bed, no food, no heating.

However some people will always be blinkered, thinking that their ideas and their knowledge, or lack of it, is the only thing that matters.

goldengirl Sun 02-Jul-17 11:44:57

Thought this a good petition lead by a very active campaigner

www.change.org/p/procter-gamble-support-the-homeless-on-their-period-period-homelessperiod?source_location=minibar

durhamjen Sun 02-Jul-17 11:51:34

Agreed, goldengirl. Signed it ages ago.

GrandmaMoira Sun 02-Jul-17 14:34:35

Apparently single men are large users of food banks so perhaps shaving gear should also be donated so food banks could have both male an female toiletry packs available. I know shaving is not so essential but still important for going to work or interviews.

durhamjen Sun 02-Jul-17 14:45:05

I read that, too, Moira. Fareshare is the foodbank round here. They reckin that half of households using foodbanks have a disabled person and 1 in 3 someone with mental health problems.
Quite scary really.

www.fareshare.org.uk/fareshare-welcomes-trussell-trust-report-on-food-insecurity/

Latest Trussell Trust report.

durhamjen Sun 02-Jul-17 14:45:51

reckin=reckon. I really should read before I post.

paddyann Sun 02-Jul-17 15:29:26

Dj I was told the government was giving the VAT from sanitary products to a Pro Life group ,now with their alliance with the DUP that makes sense .

durhamjen Sun 02-Jul-17 15:40:21

70 different charities, this year, all to do with women and girls, paddyann.
I didn't know there were that many!

Granny23 Tue 11-Jul-17 15:39:17

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-40566524

a step in the right direction?

Charleygirl Tue 11-Jul-17 16:00:28

It never crossed my mind to add sanitary protection to the food bins at supermarkets. A simple idea which will hopefully help.

I know a middle aged man who is down on his luck job wise at present but is expecting a small windfall any day- only dole money backdated. I took him to Aldi and we chose enough food for him and the dog to last for a week. I felt so sorry for him because he was nearly in tears-only £30 spent and hopefully it helped him. He is too proud to go near a food bank.

Sanprorecycler Thu 10-Aug-17 17:24:06

The homeless period have been sending out pink period donation bins to shops in Brighton, Nottingham etc, maybe if they put donation bins in places like public toilets, libraries etc they would get more ladies and girls to donate a pack or box of pads, liners or tampons, they may even own a unopened pack they don't need which could be distributed to people in need

Donation bins could also be put in toilets at schools, colleges and universities too

Deedaa Thu 10-Aug-17 20:48:39

I've started buying a packet to put in the food bank bin when I shop. It's hard to believe that we've become such a third world country.