Gransnet forums

Health

Dental crown removal

(44 Posts)
Sheena Mon 31-Jul-17 21:30:17

Has anyone had one removed and a new one put in? I went to the dentist last week and she said there is the tiniest chip in my crown and that it needs to come out , a temporary one put in for a couple of weeks and then the new replacement. I must admit I have been getting twinges there and considering this crown was put in way back in the 80s it's not surprising I guess that it's getting a bit worn. However..... I am a total baby as far as the dentist is concerned ! I go for my regular 6 month check ups, but the minute something needs to be done I turn to jelly. The whole procedure freaks me out, and the dentist (bless her !! ) has said to me "don't worry about it " ... HA !! Has anyone had one taken out ? Is it as ghastly as I am fearing?

OldMeg Fri 08-Jun-18 07:07:27

I had a crown removed in February and didn’t have a temporary one put on at all. I had to suffer for two weeks the jagged remains catching my tongue and couldn’t talk or eat. The dentist gave an explanation for me having to suffer like this which I accepted as there was barely enough tooth left on which to attach a new crown.

PamelaJ1 Fri 08-Jun-18 06:55:39

The Chinese use their gold crowns to pay for their funerals.
I have four crowns and I’m taking steps now to have them replaced. I’m terrified to use them to bite on food as 2 of them have a habit of falling off, generally just before going on holiday or an event! They are my top front teeth. Not a good look.
So I’m going to have new ones. I’ll have to go privately but I’m sure it will be worth it. I can’t wait ?

adental Thu 07-Jun-18 20:13:37

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Luckylegs9 Sun 06-Aug-17 07:38:29

Deed as, fancy wearing a wedding ring of all those people old teeth, it gives me the creeps, would rather go without and use a curtain ring for the ceremony.
I had a crown revoved, took 5 seconds, didn't hurt, if it was going to hurt the dentist would use pain relief as if you were having a filling. Good luck Sheena, I hate the dentist too.

Chewbacca Thu 03-Aug-17 23:12:41

Apologies for not getting back...
I got a stay of execution until mid September! smile He took x rays and I'm to go back then and decide what we're going to do then. The best bit was that, due to "unforeseen circumstances ", I had to take my GD with me and there was no way I could sit and blub in front of her, so I had to put my big girl pants on and make like I was really pleased to be going to the dentist. We both got a sticker! The dentist said I've got to take my GD every time now because it's the first time he's seen me and I haven't snivveled! blush

Lazigirl Thu 03-Aug-17 11:16:33

Chewbacca . Loved your "slip" grin grin

Sheena Thu 03-Aug-17 10:56:53

How are you Chewbacca? How did it go yesterday? flowers

Jalima1108 Wed 02-Aug-17 14:11:55

that's an idea Marydoll, better than counting sheep.

Jalima1108 Wed 02-Aug-17 14:10:56

I was on holiday when mine fell out djen (next to the front one). I found a dentist who charged quite a bit to put a temporary one on, which lasted for two days.
Luckily I knew no-one except the family.

Chewbacca Wed 02-Aug-17 00:09:02

Thanks Coolgran . In 16 hours, it will be over and done with.

Coolgran65 Tue 01-Aug-17 23:46:52

I have had about 8 crowns for many years, some are over 40 years. Having had a two year course of steroids this affected my teeth/bones and I've had to have new crowns and crowns replaced. Some are fitted to an original tooth but most are on a metal post where the tooth was removed.

Sometimes a crown has had to be removed to have work done to an underlying tooth. Mostly they come off quite easily, sometimes it takes more effort from the dentist..... but never has it been painful.

Fortunately it doesn't bother me going to my dentist, which is just as well.

My last course of treatment was two root canals, two replacement crowns, two extractions meaning two false teeth on a denture.

Tell your dentist that you are nervous, he will really understand. My dh was in law enforcement and also in the forces. He was afraid of little, but broke into a sweat at the dental surgery, we're talking his shirt being soaked at the back. Happily he found a good local dentist who was willing to talk through every step and provide plenty of local anaesthetic. He blames the forces dentist for his fear .... not much of a bedside manner.

Nowadays dentists are kind and understanding. You will be fine. Good luck flowers

Marydoll Tue 01-Aug-17 23:34:21

No discomfort whilst waiting for the new one. Previous root canal treatment meant there would be no pain. The crown had to come out because a gap had appeared between the crown and the gum. Taking it out wasn't painful, there was a lot of noisy drilling to get the old one out, but the procedure was nowhere as bad as I had envisaged. I'll probably have to get the other one done too.
Just close your eyes and think of the escapades in the Argy, Bargy.smile

Chewbacca Tue 01-Aug-17 23:23:05

Marydoll was it a painful procedure or uncomfortable? Was there a lot of pulling and tugging? We're you in any discomfort when you ate or drank, whilst you waited for the new one?

durhamjen Tue 01-Aug-17 23:19:35

The last time I had mine replaced it very obligingly fell off all by itself when I was brushing my teeth. It disappeared down the plughole. A top front one as well. Looked very glam when we went out that New Year's Eve.

Marydoll Tue 01-Aug-17 23:05:18

I had an old crown removed last year. It wasn't painful, but, just not the nicest of experiences. The temp one lasted half an hour, so I just did without it, until the new one was ready.
The anticipation and dread beforehand is much worse than the procedure. The biggest pain was to my wallet.
To distract myself, I tried to see how high I could count in French. I kept losing count, when my dentist asked if I was ok.?

BlueBelle Tue 01-Aug-17 22:54:49

Silver lining my doctor told me in no uncertain terms that he would not prescribe Diaziipam for a very nervous me so they are not all helpful

silverlining48 Tue 01-Aug-17 22:20:17

And you too of course sheena.

silverlining48 Tue 01-Aug-17 22:17:21

My gp agreed to prescribe me with the diazepam which really does do the trick. I can still talk snd walk but wasnt in the least tense or nervous. A total win win.
Good luck chewbacca.

Chewbacca Tue 01-Aug-17 17:48:04

My dentist knows that if he left me sitting in the waiting room for more than 5 minutes, I'll leg it. Plus, he doesn't want me sitting bawling my eyes out and frightening the children. blush
22 hours to go......

TriciaF Tue 01-Aug-17 16:13:15

Thanks, Sheena. But I'm one of those lucky people who isn't afraid of dentists. But I don't like toothache! I prefer to suffer a short time in the dentist's chair, just to get rid of it.

Sheena Tue 01-Aug-17 12:06:48

Two hours shock ?? omg Tricia how did you manage? I hate it if I have to wait 10 minutes ! Heart racing, sweaty hands, shaky legs etc etc. Funny though I am absolutely fine with the hygienist ... no problem. But the Dentist uuurrrgggghhhh !

TriciaF Tue 01-Aug-17 12:02:38

Tizliz - me too. The last time I went the waiting room was packed, (there are 3 dentists) and after nearly 2 hours I thought they had forgotten about me. So in the end I asserted myself and complained shock and I was next in.

Tizliz Tue 01-Aug-17 11:09:52

It's the waiting in the waiting room that does me in. Why can't the dentist be on time? I always have the first appointment but still have to wait and I get so tempted to say sorry, can't wait any longer, bye and make a run for it ?

Jalima1108 Tue 01-Aug-17 11:09:16

Apparently my post was screwed in rather than just pushed in (done 20 years ago!) so that is why the dentist would send me to the dental hospital if it needs to be changed.
Good luck Sheena

Sheena Tue 01-Aug-17 11:00:33

Thanks Sparklefizz .. I worry (as I do a lot ! ) that if I took anything, would it react with the injections for numbing? Many years ago I was at another dentist, and an ambulance was called for a lady as she had taken something to calm her nerves (we weren't told what) and she had reacted badly to the injection. These things kind of stick in your mind blush