Gransnet forums

Health

Magnesium Oil

(21 Posts)
NanKate Wed 02-Aug-17 14:36:55

A friend has recommended this oil to help with the aches and pains I get with my Polymialgia. I am now awaiting a delivery from Amazon to start rubbing it into my shoulder and neck which have been very achy for about 3 weeks.

I have no idea if it will work. When reading the reviews there were lots of 5 stars, but if course it doesn't work for everyone.

I will use for my leg cramps and occasional restless legs as well.

I will give a follow up to report the positive/negative results in a day or so.

Has anyone else tried it ?

Anya Wed 02-Aug-17 15:02:41

This might be of interest re magnesium per se NanKate magnesium and it's properties

It is of course talking about supplements v food rather than a topical rub. However I'm a bit confused chemically about magnesium Oil - Magnesium is a shiny grey solid in its pure state. Highly reactive. It's very abundant in the earths crust and in foodstuff. So it doesn't naturally occur as an oil.

However Epsom salts are mainly magnesium sulphate (or rather the hepahydrate form) and I find a few handfuls added to the bath soothe aching muscles.

Azie09 Wed 02-Aug-17 15:10:04

I take magnesium tablets to help with insomnia. They relax the muscles are do really help with a lovely night's sleep. I also use Epsom Salts in the bath. Presumbly magnesium oil has magnesium mixed in a carrier oil??

paddyann Wed 02-Aug-17 16:18:33

my daughter has been using Frankinsense oil for her fibromyalgia it helps for a little while.the thing she had most success with is the Acti Patch,and now she sees a chinese doctor for chinese acupuncture which is really helping her .I didn't realise the chinese used different needles for acupuncture .I buy her SBC products from QVC as well the arnica bath soak seems to work well and she uses an arnica rub after it

marmar01 Wed 02-Aug-17 16:37:57

Don't laugh, but i swear by "DOG OIL" its a natural cream that does my aches and pains the world of good. (no Dogs used)

Jalima1108 Wed 02-Aug-17 17:09:00

Magnesium helps to prevent cramps and is a muscle relaxant.

It reputedly lowers blood pressure too (there is plenty of anecdotal evidence) but a medical consultant has said it cannot help.

Jalima1108 Wed 02-Aug-17 17:12:14

Mrs Google says re magnesium oil:
It feels slippery like oil, but it is a solution of magnesium chloride flakes in water. It provides the benefits of magnesium supplementation in an absorbable form.

Better to drink it? DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, I AM JOKING!!
or use Epsom Salts in the bath?

Welshwife Wed 02-Aug-17 17:41:12

DD has problems with aches and pains etc and finds Magnesium salts in the bath very good - they are similar to Epsom salts - usually DD buys them at well known national health shop and often she's able to get the on offer. She tells me that after a 20 min soak she feels great and sleeps like a log.

Whatever you do I hope you get some relief.

farview Wed 02-Aug-17 18:55:25

..also sitting with your feet on a Cork tile is said to ease leg cramp...

NanKate Wed 02-Aug-17 20:11:59

Thanks ALL and Anya in particular who is such a useful fount of knowledge IMO when it comes to health.

I am still awaiting the Amazon man so that I can massage some oil into my aching neck and shoulder.

I rather fancy an Epsom Salt bath. Is there no end to the excitement in my life grin

Tegan2 Wed 02-Aug-17 20:23:12

I was putting it on my feet as it is supposed to reduce the swellings caused by Ledderhose but it dries the skin out terribly[even though it's described as an 'oil']so I've stopped using it. However, it is the higher strength Holland and Barrett one so maybe the lower strength wouldn't have been such a problem.Have you tried taking turmeric?

Jalima1108 Wed 02-Aug-17 20:26:56

I have put Epsom Salts on my shopping list!

And they are supposed to be good for the garden too, aren't they?

Menopaws Wed 02-Aug-17 21:23:53

Magnesium tablets stop my restless legs and yes used to sell Masons Dog Oil, very popular

NanKate Wed 02-Aug-17 21:38:41

No[Tegan2] I haven't tried turmeric but I have heard some people find it helpful. I will try one remedy at a time.

Anya Wed 02-Aug-17 23:01:02

Boots sells Epsom salts in a big bag for less that £5. They also sell Dead Sea Salt. Two handfuls of each in the bath is what I find works well for me.

Luckily my achy bits are my feet and ankles usually. They are easy to soak. Shoulders and neck could be more difficult ??

I misread your second post NanKate and had to reread it before it became clear your weren't waiting for the Amazon man to massage your aching shoulders and neck. I'd think if you can get anyone to massage your achy bits with oil, the massage in itself should help. If you find the Mg oil doesn't work trying buying a big bottle of almond oil online and put in a few drops of lavender oil and get someone to massage that gently into the sore bits. Worth a try anyway.

Neck ache is especially horrible.

Jalima1108 Wed 02-Aug-17 23:04:56

I have a big bagful of Dead Sea Salts.

The problem is that I rarely have a bath these days.
But I do have some Dead Sea shower gel, but it is probably the soaking that works.

NanKate Thu 03-Aug-17 06:51:53

Anya I am up for anyone, even King Kong, to massage my achy bits at present grin I will investigate the Dead Sea salt and almond oil thanks.

My Amazon man didn't turn up yesterday, I shall be lying in wait for him today.

Jilly62 Sun 06-Aug-17 06:39:47

I have achey feet too, but think they are a side effect of lercodipine, my BP drugs.....they make feet and ankles swell, but alternative drugs cause a catastrophic cough! Have others had this problem too?...it makes me unwilling to walk.

lena80 Tue 22-Aug-17 12:33:03

A friend of mine has had it, and have been satisfied.

NanKate Tue 22-Aug-17 21:21:21

Yes Jilly I had to have my HP pills changed to Candasarten and I no longer cough.

MissAdventure Tue 22-Aug-17 21:37:15

Epsom salts are lovely in the bath. They feel quite invigorating. Good for 'drawing' boils and stuff, too!