Gransnet forums

Health

Osteoarthritis

(7 Posts)
Gmittens Wed 09-Aug-17 12:38:54

Hi,
Having recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis I wondered if anyone has experience of complementary medicine treatments for this. I have had one session with an osteopath, with another one scheduled, but was wondering about the benefits of acupuncture, raiki etc. Would appreciate comments, both for and against.

tanith Wed 09-Aug-17 13:14:13

I've suffered with muliple joint OA for over 20 yrs tried many treatments, the osteopath did help with painful spine for a few months but nothing I tried stopped the gradual decline of my joints unfortunately leading to a spinal surgery and two hip replacements. OA is a buggar for sure.

GrandmaMoira Wed 09-Aug-17 13:34:49

I found acupuncture very good. You may feel worse after the first or second treatment but after that much improved. It is often available on the NHS.
The best thing was retiring. The stress and exhaustion at work and being stuck at a desk and suffering RSI worsened my OA a lot. Now I can be active and my joints are fine.

Mamie Wed 09-Aug-17 13:47:37

My OH has osteoarthritis. He lost a lot of weight four years ago and has had no problem with knees and feet since. He still has it in thumbs, wrists, shoulders, neck and spine. It is far worse when the weather is damp and the pressure is low; I am not sure if winter sunshine counts as an alternative treatment!
He buys a cream called GSA (we are in France, don't know if you can get it in England) and that helps. He also loves his electric blanket.
When a particular bit is painful (neck and upper spine at the moment) our GP gives him a prescription for fifteen sessions of physio and he finds that very good.

Charleygirl Wed 09-Aug-17 13:48:52

I had reflexology weekly for over a year to help my painful knees. To be honest, it did zilch for me, just allowed me time to relax and chat to the reflexologist.

Nannarose Wed 09-Aug-17 15:58:32

I have osteo-arthritis, and have had 3 joint replacements.
Although the research shows that glucosamine is of negligible help overall, it does help a small number, and I am one; worth a try.
Also helpful:
Physiotherapy at specific times, for specific reasons, including showing me exercises, including hydrotherapy, that I now do on my own.
Swimming
Pilates - initially a small class, with individual attention. I now do daily on my own, checking in for a private session every 6-8 weeks, to make sure I am on track!
Anti-inflammatory medication. The GP writes me up for a full dose, I take somewhere between half and full, depending on how I am feeling.
Wheat bag that you can warm in the microwave, for occasional specific pain.
TENS machine was useful for me when I had hip pain. However, it was unhelpful for shoulder pain and, because 'targeted', no good for generalised inflammation.
Hope that helps.

Gmittens Thu 10-Aug-17 05:09:34

Thank you for your comments. I already do Pilates, and will speak to my osteopath about acupuncture. I am a slim person so losing weight is not necessary, though I understand that can help in some cases. It appears to be that I should try various options to see what works for me.