Gransnet forums

Health

metal knees set off shop alarm

(25 Posts)
TriciaF Wed 09-Aug-17 16:23:30

bonesmart.org/forum/threads/setting-off-store-alarms.4227/
I was shopping in a supermarket today with and english friend, a visitor, and she set off the alarm at the till.
The worker had been told to ask "new clothes?",if this happens, implying the person stole an item of clothing and wore it to go out.
Luckily she remembered it could be her metal knee replacements.
But very embarassing.
I've had a hip replacement but never set off an alarm, even at an airport.

Jane10 Wed 09-Aug-17 17:08:22

I've never set off an alarm with my new knee. I was all set to roll my trouser leg up at airport security too. It was most disappointing that I didn't have to! grin

henetha Wed 09-Aug-17 17:11:59

That's very strange, because I always set off alarms at airports with my two metal knees and consquently always get searched.
Maybe my metal is a different sort to others?

Jane10 Wed 09-Aug-17 18:09:37

Don't know what mine are made of. Maybe ceramic? Or plastic?

Deedaa Wed 09-Aug-17 21:46:27

My knees always set off the alarms in airports but they've never done it anywhere else.

Charleygirl Wed 09-Aug-17 22:25:08

Jane it will be a mixture of metal and plastic. Ceramic knees are very expensive.

Jane10 Thu 10-Aug-17 07:20:45

I'm worth it Charleygirl!!

inishowen Thu 10-Aug-17 09:05:05

I set off the alarm at the airport. The security man shouted to another "she has an issue with her shoes". I was taken to a machine. I asked if I should take my shoes off. They said they were to be swabbed. This was done and the results put into the machine. I was then sent on my way. I found it all a bit frightening. I'm flying tomorrow and won't wear those shoes!

Sheilasue Thu 10-Aug-17 09:16:36

Mine is steel. So if I go abroad it will probably set of the alarm.

silverlining48 Thu 10-Aug-17 09:28:25

I dont have new knees or hips and take off watch and jewellery but always set off the alarm at airports.
Then i was told that its my boots, they have a metal strip in the sole.
Flying again next week, will not be wearing boots ...

Charleygirl Thu 10-Aug-17 09:30:30

Jane I know that you are but I have a feeling that the NHS will agree to differ.

Grannyknot Thu 10-Aug-17 09:41:17

My daughter has a ceramic and titanium hip replacement. She sets off airport alarms. Her prosthetic hip aches in cold weather and I wonder is it that the ceramic gets cold inside her body?

felice Thu 10-Aug-17 09:42:37

I have lots of replacement bits and metal bars etc, the one which sets things off is my Heart valve, I got so fed up with a very rude woman at Edinburgh airport a few years ago that I pulled up my jumper in front of everyone and shouted, " look what do you want to do open the scar and tear the valve out", she moved me on very quickly. Funnily enough it always seems to be at British airports that the staff are less understanding. A very nice man at Prague airport asked me if I would like assistance to my flight and a cup of coffee, and in Zurich they gave me a pass to the first class lounge in the departure hall.

W11girl Thu 10-Aug-17 11:12:46

I have no metal transplants whatsoever, and always "dress" for security purposes when travelling, (no jewellry, soft shoes etc) but I always seem to set the alarm off at airports both here and abroad. I must be a robot! Unless of course I am ingesting every day environmental particles of some description.

TriciaF Thu 10-Aug-17 11:34:17

Thanks for the replies. After reading them all it seems it was more likely to have been her shoes, the uppers made of a sort of metallic material.

muppett1 Thu 10-Aug-17 11:35:54

My step daughter in law set off the airport alarms with a jumper with a metallic strip. I have often been checked. My daughter says I must have a suspicious face! Still working that one out.

Cold Thu 10-Aug-17 13:29:30

I have a huge knee prosthesis, due to an accident, it is not just the knee but also has long stems that are set inside the bones in my thigh and shin bones. I have never set off a store alarm. Not sure about airports as I tend to go through the wheelchair assistance lane.

I also suffer aching and additional pain in cold and damp weather - it is a common problem for people with joint replacements regardless of what material they are made of.

nuttyasfruitcakenan Thu 10-Aug-17 13:47:00

Whenever I travel I'm always frisked it doesn't matter what airport I fly out of the uk from . I don't have any replacement parts etc . Once at Heathrow was even body scanned !
If I question it I am always told that its random checks .
Amazing that it's me every time.
Surprisingly when I return sometimes even my passport is not checked . Seems they don't want to let me out but have no problem letting me back in.
I've got so used to it now I make sure that I leave plenty of time before my flight to allow for the checks

VIOLETTE Thu 10-Aug-17 14:11:27

Ha Tricia ...I know like me you live in France .....I did as a friend in the UK if they used those security tags on clothes there ...she had never seen any, if they do 1

I bought a new pair of trousers once, and went into Carrefour ...whereupon the alarm went off ......I told the security guard which item of clothing it was, and he just laughed ! What makes me laugh is that they set off the alarm when you go IN the shop .....how can you nick something before you have even been in ! I like to buy my husband new shirts and jumpers ...(always have to buy one identical to an older one he has cos he hates new clothes ) but then I forget to cut out the security tag and he goes off at the barrier !!!! Have had to explain to the accueil many times wh (they all know me so are used to me !!) .....

Once, in the UK I actually got all the way home with a new coat ...went to put it on and try it with some shoes I had, when I noticed the large round plastic tag had not been cut off ...had to get back in the car and take it back ! Fat lot of good as a security tag !!! grin

grannyinmypocket Thu 10-Aug-17 15:00:52

I set an alarm off with an underwired bra once ,shock

Harlequin Thu 10-Aug-17 15:04:02

I have a pair of Clarkes' brogues which always set off the alarm. That was really annoying when I travelled around Australia using 12 internal flights and had to take off my shoes for each boarding gate. Amazingly, I went into the Australian Government building in Canberra without setting off the alarm. Needless to say, those shoes won't be leaving the UK again. I did report it to Clarkes but they weren't very interested!

sussexoldbag Thu 10-Aug-17 16:40:10

Having had both of my hips replaced I always have trouble at airports which I find very humiliating and embarrassing. he worst times have been at Luton , Washington and Vienna airports.

Solitaire Sat 12-Aug-17 11:11:05

My grandson's mum works at airport security and says that frequently the alarms are activated by M&S bras with underwire ...no other brands apparently?

Jane10 Sat 12-Aug-17 11:14:17

Very good quality underwiring in M&S bras!

JanT8 Mon 14-Aug-17 17:40:30

I also have a knee replacement and set the alarm off at airports. Depending on the airport the checks vary considerably! Some are quite invasive and I've also been 'wanded' but at least they are doing their job thoroughly!