Gransnet forums

Health

Ovarian cysts

(14 Posts)
pixie1 Fri 11-Aug-17 20:25:48

Does anyone here have experience of ovarian cysts and feel able to help/inform about treatment and/or removal?

I have 'innumerable' cysts on my left ovary - total mass measuring 8.2 x 7 x 7cm and two on my right ovary measuring 5 x 7cm and 3.6 x 3.2cm. These were discovered three weeks ago and I'm due to have bloods taken this week to check for CA125 (for ovarian cancer) and also due for a pelvic ultrasound.

I'm 67 and post menopausal which I gather is not the best age.

Luckygirl Fri 11-Aug-17 21:39:58

Two of my DDs had them at the same time, which was a bizarre coincidence - they had keyhole surgery to remove them.

A friend of mine did have vast ones like yours and had a hysterectomy at the same time as they were removed. She made a normal and speedy recovery with no problems. I do hope very much that yours will be sorted as easily.

paddyann Fri 11-Aug-17 21:45:11

I have ovarian cysts ,had them all checked by scans internal and external and blood tests ,also had samples taken from the lining of my womb.I was told they were benign and had them checked every 6 months for three years.They didn't increase in size.I was offered surgery if I wanted it but decided that as they weren'tcancerous not to go ahead with it.However my doctors.oncologist and gynaecologist have said if I have any change of mind to call them direct at their clinics and I can be operated on within the week.Last check up I had was last year when they found cysts at the neck of my womb,same tests ,same answer so I'm still not having surgery .Good luck with your tests ,be aware that MOST cysts are nothing to worry about ,dont stress about it ,if it is something sinister they'll deal with it very quickly and if not they'll give you the choice of what you want to do

Tinkerbell2208 Fri 11-Aug-17 23:08:26

I had an ovarian cyst the size of a grapefruit and significantly raised CA 125. A very rapid total hysterectomy and removal of ovaries and cervix - cyst was described as "borderline" so no further treatment needed. That was three years ago at age 60 - all fine now except need a tiny bit of HRT. I wish you the very best.

jusnoneed Sat 12-Aug-17 08:40:51

I had my first one when I was 22, (at first the doc thought I was pregnant and my son was only just a year old) it was about the size of a grapefruit. I had surgery to remove it and no problems after.
I had a second one which was found when I was carrying second son 12 years later. So all through pregnancy I had scans and then it was removed at same time as son was delivered by C section. They left a bit of one ovary but I went through menopause from mid 30's.

LadyGracie Sat 12-Aug-17 09:04:30

I had a total hysterectomy at 51 because of ovarian cysts, quite straightforward good recovery, never looked back

Teetime Sat 12-Aug-17 09:13:17

I've just gone through this too after an unexpected bleed before Xmas last year. Usual range of blood tests, scans, hysteroscopy in out patients and another under anaethestic. On Thursday I had what I think is my last scan and the large Ovarian cyst which had been getting smaller had disappeared. Mine was all growing as a response to my lengthy period on HRT.
Good luck pixiel I was told the vast majority of these things are benign.

bikergran Sat 12-Aug-17 09:23:40

My dd has O Cysts that come and go (shes now 41) and had this problem many many yrs.She was admitted to have cyst removed..gowned up prepared etc etc ..taken for scan first, where they found the cyst gone! thank goodness they did a scan first...she has them come and then dissapear of their own accord but causes lot of discomfort when they re appear.

pixie1 Sat 12-Aug-17 12:14:17

Thank you all for your responses they are very much appreciated.

sunnym Sat 12-Aug-17 12:40:34

I had to have a total hysterectomy and oopherectomy for Ovarian cysts, endometriosis and adenomyosis when I was 36 back in 1994.
It was the best thing I ever did as I was in a right mess before they did the operation.
The Surgeon did a fantastic job of getting rid of everything he said "I am going to turn you into a new woman"!! and he did!!grin

Ambergirl Sat 19-Aug-17 22:03:16

Hello Pixiel - Ovarian cysts are common and mostly nothing to worry about. A pelvic ultrasound will help to define them better and can easily see if there are any worrying features. There are strict criteria for looking at cysts, and worrying ones are referred with a 2 week wait (Govt guideline). It sounds like you are having the tests required. It is a little less common to see them at your age, but without a full medical/menstrual history it is difficult to say. You say they have been seen and I am assuming this was an incidental finding perhaps on another form of imaging. You need a pelvic scan for clarity, and hopefully this is more re-assuring. There are lots of different causes for ovarian cysts, you just need the scan and then referral as appropriate. Mostly they are benign, or non-worrying. A CA125 is a very common, but not terribly accurate test, it needs to be interpreted along with the scan. Good Luck.

pixie1 Sun 20-Aug-17 22:14:27

Saw the ob/gyn doctor who did the vaginal ultrasound and arranged for fast-tracking bloods and ct scan as he thought the ovaries looked 'sinister'

He assured me that his team would be looking at the results this week and would decide a plan of action once known.

I have seen the ct results and it shows no metastasis in lungs, kidneys etc so that is encouraging but will await my meeting with him later this week.

Thank you all for your comments/helpful advice.

Luckygirl Sun 20-Aug-17 22:30:33

Good luck with all this.

Ambergirl Tue 22-Aug-17 20:45:57

Great that you are being seen and they are planning care. The NHS is very good when you need to be seen in these acute circumstances. It sounds like you have a good team caring for you pixiel. Good Luck.