Gransnet forums

Health

The cost of Prescriptions

(103 Posts)
gillybob Wed 16-Aug-17 10:27:25

Just returned to work after a GP appointment where I was prescribed 4 separate items including a course of antibiotics and my HRT. The cost £34.40 !

The helpful pharmacist suggested I pop outside and buy a Prescription prepayment certificate over the phone at a cost of £29.10 for 3 months, which has saved me a little bit.

This is a lot of money to me and I was tempted to ask if there was anything I could put off having to save money. It made me wonder how those living on a very tight budget who don't qualifying for free prescriptions manage ? Do they just refuse prescriptions or avoid visiting the doctor?

paddyann Wed 16-Aug-17 10:33:25

thank goodness we have free prescriptions in Scotland ,my husband had a heart atack 6 years ago and had multiple medicies for life.I know befroe they were made free there were peopel who had to decide if they could afford medication they needed instead of using the money for other necessities.Free prescriptions in Scotland is actually cheaper than the admin would be if they had to be meanstested etc.

Luckygirl Wed 16-Aug-17 10:38:58

I too a very very glad that I am of an age to get free prescriptions, and also my OH. He has a huge amount of drugs which keep him going, but with his illness he could have got them free at any age in fact.

Sometimes when I am at the surgery and see people paying out for their drugs I am bowled over by the cost. Some drugs cost more on prescription than they do over the counter!

I think your only way forward is pre-payment, I think it is cheaper if you do it by the year.

mcem Wed 16-Aug-17 10:46:45

Like paddy I am very happy that prescriptions are free in Scotland as my DD needs lots of different and expensive med's.
I have statins free as I receive State Pension but always buy paracetamol and ibuprofen otc.
Statistics do show that by-passing all the paperwork offsets the costs and I wonder if this would hold true in the many other areas involving bureaucracy.

gillybob Wed 16-Aug-17 10:54:40

How unfair is it that in England some people will be afraid to visit their GP or will refuse a prescription due to the cost when just over the border they are free. Don't get me wrong I am happy for my Scottish friends to enjoy free prescriptions but just a bit put out that we English still have to pay such excessive costs. To be fair I don't think i have ever been faced with paying for 4 items at the same time and hopefully won't again. Shelling out £30 that I hadn't expected to is a lot of money.

devongirl Wed 16-Aug-17 11:01:20

I completely agree gillybob, I would be really shocked if I had to pay that for medicines I needed. I'm also fortunate in now qualifying for free prescriptions. I hope you'll be able to make good use of the prepayment certificate - be sure to top up with whatever drugs you need before it expires.

Like you, I don't begrudge free precriptions to people in Scotland, but it just feels like another unfairness here (think university tuition charges...)

Morgana Wed 16-Aug-17 11:14:16

If u need to go to doctors to get wounds dressed u have to pay for the dressings!

Roxannediane Wed 16-Aug-17 11:14:28

About the only good thing about turning 60 last year was free prescriptions, not that I have many - one every three months!! No pension until I am 66 and no job after being made redundant.... just an
unpaid (grand)child minder now!!
But I'm not complaining!!!!

libra10 Wed 16-Aug-17 11:16:00

My husband has always needed prescriptions throughout his adult life for several conditions, and had to pay until retirement age.

We didn't mind this, although for some conditions you are allowed free prescriptions. He has over-active thyroid, prescriptions payable, yet people who suffer with underactive thyroid are allowed free medication. Our son (in his forties) has been diagnosed with Glaucoma, and has to pay for eye drops to regulate levels.

Now at retirement age, my husband has been diagnosed with Diebetes Type 2, and luckily we don't have to pay for all the medication.

gillybob Wed 16-Aug-17 11:18:24

Roll on 60 then Roxannediane only another 5 years to go! Although like the pensions there's time yet for them to move the goal posts. (67.5 for my pension so far, could change again yet though).

jimmyRFU Wed 16-Aug-17 11:21:06

I signed up to a monthly direct debit for my allergy medication. It spreads the cost and makes it cheaper because no matter what I have its covered. I am 60 in October so start with the freebies. Hubby had bowel cancer in 2008 (survived) but needs stoma equipment. He got it free because of being a cancer patient luckily. There are advantages to being 60. Not many of them worth having but free prescriptions is one.

caocao Wed 16-Aug-17 11:23:40

Morgana - Hopefully that means you are getting properly sterile unopened dressings. I'm currently having an open surgical wound on my nose dressed at my GP surgery in Wales and am petrified I will end up with it infected as they are cutting pieces off already opened, partly used dressings!

creativz Wed 16-Aug-17 11:25:53

I used to pay for the prepayment prescription certificate which worked out to approx £10 per month, it was the most economical option and saved me a lot of money as I have to get about 6 separate repeat meds per month, thankfully at the moment I'm entitled to free prescriptions.

Musicelf Wed 16-Aug-17 11:26:24

I've needed lots of different medications for many years, and it used to cost me a fortune. Then they discovered my underactive thyroid, and prescrived thyroxine, which meant that all my prescriptions were now free - it's a lifelong condition, which apparently means everything else gets treated the same. I turned 60 not long after, so it was all free then anyway, but if I'd still got to pay, I'd really have to decide which ones were more vitally important than the others. My husband is also on lots for his heart and other conditions, so we do feel a little guilty for costing the NHS such a fortune!

I do feel desperately for people who cannot afford the charges but who do not qualify for help.

Nanny123 Wed 16-Aug-17 11:26:53

I lived in Ireland for a few years and there we would have to pay 50.00 euros to see the doctor and then pay for the prescriptions per item - some months my basic repeat would come to 144.00 euros - one tablet that i was put on cost 98.00 alone. We did have a system whereby you wouldn't pay anymore than 144 in any one month. We also had to pay for every A&E visit, and also for any consultants we seen - and that was with having health health insurance. Coming back to the UK was a breath of fresh air - and very much reassuring

Musicelf Wed 16-Aug-17 11:26:55

Um.....that will be "prescribed" - not prescrived!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 16-Aug-17 11:34:46

It's difficult gillybob - when my late husband had mnd he had to pay - until very late on the GP decided to fill a form in to get prescriptions free. Too little, too late, I'm afraid. It's all right if you're over 60 in England. I can only imagine that you'd have to prioritise which medicines are most important.

Ramblingrose22 Wed 16-Aug-17 11:38:38

Musicelf - When I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid I too got exemptions from paying for all my other medications. I was working at the time and think this is crazy. I should only have had an exemption for the thyroid medication.

IMHO it is also wasteful that people who pay income tax at 40% receive free prescriptions. I know this will not be a popular view.

If these things were changed, more money could go toward helping those who have trouble affording their prescriptions.

Deedaa Wed 16-Aug-17 11:41:06

At one point in the 90s my husband was prescribed five different drugs while the GP tried to find out what was wrong with him. Even the pharmacist was asking if he needed them all. Fortunately an operation sorted it all out. I think the drugs he is on at the moment would cost £80 or £90 a month if we still had to pay. DS was off sick for some weeks and had to pick the meds he really couldn't do without because he couldn't afford them all on sick pay

SiobhanSharpe Wed 16-Aug-17 11:43:05

Sign up for the yearly prescription 'season ticket' by direct debit -- it is well worth it as long as you have more than one item on prescription per month.
www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/PPC.aspx

ninathenana Wed 16-Aug-17 11:43:05

This thread has already reached FB

marmmee Wed 16-Aug-17 11:49:43

I think the English n.h.s should sort themselves out we in wales also get free prescriptions it seems the smallest countries in the u.k can do it so why not England baffles me.

Philp17 Wed 16-Aug-17 11:50:39

The list of conditions which qualify for free prescriptions appears to be very random. Transplant patients do not qualify and they have to take an array of medications daily. There is a petition going around demanding that this should be changed.
www.change.org/p/rt-hon-jeremy-hunt-mp-free-prescriptions-for-transplant-patients?recruiter=474551482&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=stepper_psf&utm_term=share_petition
Nearly up to 10 000 signatures, so if you think this is unjust,
please add yours!

Gaggi3 Wed 16-Aug-17 11:55:19

I have several items regularly on prescription but because I will need them for the foreseeable future, I get 3 months supply at a time. This would reduce the cost if I had to pay, and reduces paperwork, pharmacy time etc.
Also I had all stoma equipment
free for the year I needed it, when I was 56. I hadn't had cancer but had my colon removed because of ulcerative colitis. I hope it's the same now,as there is a high incidence of inflammatory bowel disease.

MinniesMum Wed 16-Aug-17 11:55:40

I used to buy a yearly pre-payment certificate. When I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid suddenly everything was free! I never understood why as perhaps only the Levothyroxine should have been free. If people were not taking life-saving drugs because of cost then I can understand why.