Gransnet forums

Health

Anyone use Denplan?

(10 Posts)
Antonia Mon 21-Aug-17 16:30:04

We have just moved to the UK and need to register with a dentist. My sister has advised us to do Denplan but I can't find out what the fees are. Does anyone use this, and is it worth the cost?

joannapiano Mon 21-Aug-17 16:32:44

DH uses Denplan and finds it good value.
I have had too many problems with my teeth and it would be a LOT of money to get me covered.

Welshwife Mon 21-Aug-17 16:53:45

I have used Denplan for 25 years. When you join the dentist inspects your teeth and then you get a quote - whatever band I came into I started off at about £8 a month - i now pay a bit less than £20.
You need to know how your dentist set up his plan with them - mine has all his work and materials covered and I just pay for the technicians fee. That began at about £20 for a crown but is now about £70 - still cheaper than the NHS I think. It covers you when you are abroad etc - I broke a tooth in USA and sent the dentist an email - Denplan answered me and paid for a repair and eventually a veneer when I got back to UK.

Luckygirl Mon 21-Aug-17 17:56:01

I moved from an NHS dentist, who was rather slapdash with the NHS patients, to another dentist on Denplan and I am happy with it. I pay £20 a month and get 6 monthly dental hygienist and dentist check-up + all treatment including x-rays etc. The only additional charge is anything that needs to go to a lab or needs to be constructed off the premises (like a crown). I am now paying when I was not before, but the service is excellent and far far better than it was before.

grannysue05 Mon 21-Aug-17 18:07:06

DH and me have been with Denplan for 25 years.
Prior to this we were with a NHS dentist who always found something to do - fillings and so on. This is how he makes his money.
Since being with Denplan at aprox £20 monthly each, we have 3 monthly hygenienist appointments, six monthly dental checks and all X-Rays.
In all that time we have had two fillings each. I recently had a small bridge and only paid the lab fee which was reasonable.
We cannot recommend it highly enough.

Jane10 Mon 21-Aug-17 18:11:45

Another satisfied Denplan customer here. Very reasonable cost. A lot depends on your dentist. Ours is lovely. Very punctilious. I'm not so keen on the hygienist but thats another story!

Iam64 Mon 21-Aug-17 19:15:24

Yet another satisfied Denplan customer. Our dentist announced about 20 years ago that he could no longer be NHS. He is good and I decided to stay with him. My initial denplan was about £8, it's currently £20 a month and worth every penny. It's covered all kinds of complex treatments, plus I have 3 monthly appointments with the hygienist and 6 monthly dental checks.
I had a problem recently, was seen within 4 hours and treated at no expense. No complaints from me.

Jalima1108 Mon 21-Aug-17 19:55:01

Our dentist moved all the patients from Denplan to DPAS and, after reading these posts, I may have to find another dentist who uses Denplan.

We pay less, have two check-ups and two hygienist visits annually, but have to pay 80% of treatment costs.

Antonia Mon 21-Aug-17 20:41:54

Thank you all for your replies. I have identified the dentist we would like to use, and the practice uses Denplan. I will go with it, based on the satisfaction from people here.

SueDonim Mon 21-Aug-17 21:02:09

Another one here who has been satisfied with Denplan for many years. We pay about £80pm for three of us.