Gransnet forums

Health

HRT for over 60's

(27 Posts)
Grankind Sat 16-Sep-17 13:20:38

This subject is back in the news again, and it now seems that HRT is suitable for many women and does not carry as much risk as assumed earlier. I was very happy on the lowest dose combined pill, as I still have my womb, for 16 years, but on the advice of my GP gave up taking it last year. I did so gradually, but am now finding that all the old symptoms are back. The hot flushes are not so frequent, but they are intense when they occur, but the worst symptoms are aching joints, anxiety, sleep disturbance and hair loss. The aching joints are bothering me most as I do quite intensive exercise classes including dance, pilates, yoga and circuit training each week. I watch my diet and don't smoke and drink in moderation. I have also spent the last year helping with childcare of my young grandchild. I do feel tired most of the time and am wondering if any of you ladies of my age, I'm 69, Have experienced similar. I am on the point of returning to my GP to ask if I can go back on, as the latest news suggests that if there is no familial link with breast cancer, HRT is safer than thought.
The doctor always said that if the HRT improved my quality of life, then the benefits outweighed the risks, but as I got older she kept repeating that the risks of breast cancer were greatly increased by age. I am now wishing that I had stayed on it, possibly forever. I am starting to feel like an old woman! I can never find enough information about older women on HRT and would like to know your thoughts.

Luckygirl Sat 16-Sep-17 14:04:10

I am with you on this - I felt so much better on HRT. But I have focal migraines and they said it was a no-no. Sigh.

paddyann Sat 16-Sep-17 14:15:44

my sister asked to be put back on when she was 68 and the Gynaecologist agreed it was the best thing to do ,I see the same man and I've been told I can stay on it for life...my symptoms were horrific and I wouldn't like to risk the return of them ,I'm 63 .I think its should be your choice,I also dont smoke ,only drink now and again and eat well so HRT to me is just taking care of myself too

Anya Sat 16-Sep-17 14:48:17

I hope no one is on Premarin?

valeriej43 Sat 16-Sep-17 15:01:42

Grankind has it been in the news again very recently? i have heard nothing lately/
My Dr was going to let me go back on to livial, last year and then some other health scare came up and i changed my mind again,
I am a bit older than you i think, but i still get a hot flush sometimes, not as bad a previously, but my main problem is i dont sleep much,3-4 hours and thats even with taking Nytol
Also my skin is so dry, and looks dehydrated,i try to drink more water and moisturise well, but it makes no difference
My gums are shrinking rapidly, and i read that can be caused by lack of oestrogen,and my nails split, even with extra vitamins
If i were you i would go back to your Dr and ask again
My sister has just been put back on livial, as she still gets hot flushes, and my mother did,even in her 80s
I dont know why Drs think we have to put up with being miserable all our older lives

valeriej43 Sat 16-Sep-17 15:06:25

Anya Why, ?i know that is from pregnant horses urine, but as it is such an old type of HRT i am surprised its still being prescribed
Have you had problems with it? or having problems?

Volvariella Sun 17-Sep-17 09:38:13

Grankind - the breast cancer risk is still controversial as the stats are confusing and also depend on the type of HRT. There is still much research to be done. However the stroke risk in older women taking HRT is better understood - since stroke risk itself increases with age too. The current recommendations are that if women over 60 do start to take HRT for the first time then patches/gels are preferred - it is oral HRT that may be associated with increased stroke risk. If you are otherwise healthy (weight, diet, alcohol, exercise) then your risk is low anyway (genetics aside). It is also thought safest to start HRT within 10 years of menopause. I'm not sure what the position would be if you were late 60's and had stopped for a year ie whether a different preparation might be preferred if you restart?

I am mid 60's and still taking HRT - have done so for some years - but I use patches. I dread to think how I will feel if I stop - last time I tried even to reduce the dose flushes came back withinh a few weeks.

Anya Mon 18-Sep-17 07:09:55

valerie I have problems with the ethics of keeping a mare pregnant, removing her foal at birth, keeping her tied up in such a narrow space she cannot move around for all of her reproductive life just so some old women can ingest her hormones.

Anya Mon 18-Sep-17 07:16:46

And still commonly prescribed.

nightowl Mon 18-Sep-17 07:44:31

I couldn't agree more Anya. Not to mention that the foals also have a very bleak future. If female they may join the ranks of mares, if male they will be slaughtered, as will their mothers when breeding and living in such conditions very quickly takes its toll. These 'farms' are still widespread in America and I believe Canada, so the products are still being prescribed right across the world. I find it unbelievable that we can treat animals in this way.

Volvariella Mon 18-Sep-17 08:23:19

There is discussion about women in their 60's on HRT on the other HRT thread too. Although the PRE (horse urine) type HRT types are still licensed there seems to be a gradual move towards withdrawing them (several have been withdrawn) as pretty well all the other types contain estradiol of one sort or another.

valeriej43 Mon 18-Sep-17 12:36:19

Anya i totally agree, and that is what i thought you mean,i would refuse any HRT that is produced in that way,
This is why i thought those types of HRT would have been stopped now
The abuse of any animal for this or any cosmetic reason is terrible
I have also seen what happens to those poor horses

devongirl Mon 18-Sep-17 12:40:58

Anya I'm ashamed to say that although I work on HRT use I had no idea how equine oestrogen was produced. That's absolutely abhorrent.

valeriej43 Mon 18-Sep-17 12:41:11

Regarding HRT for over 60s,i have been for the results this morning of a womb scan i had, and was told by the Dr that the womb thickness should be no more than 4[cm] i think, mine is only 1.5, so very good condition, and she says after all the tests, blood pressure,weight etc, and not on any medication, there is no reason why i can go back on HRT,SO GOING TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH MY OWN DR NOW
ALSO NO MAJOR HEALTH PROBLEMS IN MY FAMILY
SO PLEASED
Also dont smoke or drink
Sorry caps on by accident

Volvariella Mon 18-Sep-17 14:41:09

Great news valerie. The Measurement is in mm. 4 cm would be very thick indeed.... which sort of HRT were you taking?

valeriej43 Mon 18-Sep-17 20:01:13

Tibolone ,but quite a long time ago,it might be too long ago to go back on them, but my sister has been put back on them,a year younger than me,
Anyway got an appointment with Dr next thursday
The Gyne Dr was faxing results through to my Dr
Wasnt sure what measurements exactly she said,only caught the 4, and mine is 1.5,
Tibolone were brilliant, never felt better on them, she said he might not give me those but we will see
My daughter has just got Femseven and ruined the first 2 when they came off in the bath, but dont stick very well anyway, shes fuming, cost her 2 prescription charges, for a months supply too

valeriej43 Mon 18-Sep-17 20:03:10

So many threads on menopause and HRT i can never find the one i want straight away

Volvariella Wed 20-Sep-17 08:38:14

I can only see two at the moment. Maybe the search function would help?

valeriej43 Thu 28-Sep-17 16:15:52

Posted in another thread, but should have been in this one,Dr has given me Tibolone again,plus Vagifem smile

valeriej43 Tue 10-Oct-17 13:59:28

Alsoo been prescribed Vagifem, but now seem to have got thrush
Has anyone else had this problem if on Vagifem?

kittylester Tue 10-Oct-17 16:56:41

I think a few of us are on Vagifem. I use it twice a week (when I remember) and it works well. I've never had thrush but someoen else might have done. Maybe start a thread entitled Vagifem and see what happens.

valeriej43 Mon 16-Oct-17 17:16:23

My bladder has gone into overdrive now, since starting the livial again and also vagifem,
Has anyone else had any bladder problem on any type of HRT woiuld be interested to know

valeriej43 Mon 16-Oct-17 17:17:35

Meant to add,up twice in the night, and having to dash during the day,

Esspee Mon 16-Oct-17 17:40:35

I haven't heard of anyone being prescribed equine oestrogen in many years. Everyone I hear about is on some type of transdermal product.
I get mine in an implant, twice a year. Great thing about this is that for 363 days a year you can just forget all about the menopause. I don't have ovaries so no progestogen needed thankfully. It has been 28 years since I started HRT and I'll be taking it until I die.
Life without it is unthinkable for me and I feel really sorry for ladies who suffer through the accelerated aging associated with oestrogen deficiency (menopause) thinking that things have to be this way.

Volvariella Sat 21-Oct-17 13:17:27

Unfortunately many women are still prescribed the horse urine type as it is very cheap. Menopause Matters forum seems to have reports of women on there. Some seem to love it. I would never touch it though. Noone needs to suffer (thought lack of oestrogen) but it is more difficult if you have to take progesterone.