Gransnet forums

Health

Menopause. How old were you?

(48 Posts)
Deni1963 Wed 18-Oct-17 10:42:52

I'm nearly 54 and had a mirena coil put in over 7 years ago. I was one of the lucky ones and my periods stopped completely.
I've just had blood work as the doctor wants the coil out, and I was unsure if I had gone through menopause.
Result : post menopausal.

How old were you when you went through menopause ? And once post menopausal is that it? No more symptoms?

hildajenniJ Wed 18-Oct-17 11:06:49

My periods stopped when I was 53. I'm now 65, and have come through the period of brain fog! My memory is back to normal. I am still having hot flushes though, I don't think I will ever be totally free of them.

tanith Wed 18-Oct-17 11:11:30

Mine started when I was 47 periods stopped completely at about 52 but I'm now 69 and still get a hot flush now and then. I think I was lucky as I never felt mood swings or brain fog.

Scribbles Wed 18-Oct-17 11:12:06

I was 54 when my periods ceased completely. Prior to that, I'd had some hot flushes and my moods were very up & down for a while. I could go from ecstatically happy to almost suicidal in minutes and I hated that! Once the periods stopped, those symptoms ceased and, since then, the only really aggravating things I've noticed are that I now have a hairier chin than my husband and my skin has lost much of its elasticity so I tend to avoid mirrors lest I get depressed. I get more tired than I used to, too but that seems common to women and men after around the mid sixties.

ninathenana Wed 18-Oct-17 11:15:51

I was 50 when I had my last period. I'd always been irregular and really suffered due to what I now susspect was PCOS (D has it and her symptoms are very similar to what I went through).
My periods just stopped with no fuss or symptoms of menopause. I say my easy menopause is compensation for the previous horrendous 39 yrs smilesmile

jusnoneed Wed 18-Oct-17 11:52:16

I had always had very irregular periods, suffered PCO too (had two cysts removed) and went through menopause from 33. Still have the occasional hot sweat (now 61), and always suffer in hot weather which seems to get worse as I got older. Don't know if that had anything to do with menopause but suspect hormone changes may be the reason.

gillybob Wed 18-Oct-17 12:34:35

I really don't know whether I have gone through the menopause at all. I am 55 and was wrongly put on continuous HRT when I hadn't been bleed free for the 12 months recommended. A consultant has recently taken this away and I haven't stopped bleeding since. I think my body is confused. I am having other menopausal symptoms such as hot flushes, mood swings, poor hair, brain fog etc. though.

Imperfect27 Wed 18-Oct-17 13:08:26

My mum was 54 when 'everything' finally stopped. I am 54 and this seems to be holding true for me too. Had hot flushes, poor concentration and awful sleep for a few years. All that seems better now too.

Willow500 Wed 18-Oct-17 13:08:58

I was probably about 41 when I started flooding horrendously and ended up in hospital for a couple of days. They diagnosed fibroids and ovarian cysts, gave me some tablets to stop the bleeding and haven't had anything since - the fibroids and cysts apparently shrank. I didn't really have any other symptoms so assume I sailed through it without knowing!

kassi Wed 18-Oct-17 13:43:04

Age 46. One last very heavy period, then nothing whatsoever and no symptoms at all. I was very lucky indeed!

MissAdventure Wed 18-Oct-17 14:23:18

I think I was about 47. I seemed to add a new symptom to the list every month before that. Nausea, headaches, feeling faint, aching legs.
The hot flushes have been the worst thing, and my thermostat seems to be faulty since then. I absolutely can't regulate it if I get too hot.

CassieJ Wed 18-Oct-17 18:09:50

I was 46, one last period which lasted about 6 weeks, then nothing. Also not ever really had many symptoms that others seem to get, which I am thankful for.

Cherrytree59 Wed 18-Oct-17 18:24:28

I'm 58 last period just before turned 57.
Found the merina coil a life saver.
I would say I'm in the throws of the dreaded menopause at the moment. ?

GrandmaMoira Wed 18-Oct-17 19:06:46

My last period was at 53 and I had had terrible hot flushes for a few years before that. The flushes improved after the periods stopped. I get mild flushes since I had a hysterectomy last year (at 64).

M0nica Wed 18-Oct-17 19:09:15

Mine was at 51. My only menopausal symptoms were heavier periods for a year or two and fibroids that did not need any treatment.

spottysocks Wed 18-Oct-17 19:15:50

My last period was at 50 but I suffered from terrible flooding in my 40s and could'nt go out some days as it was that bad. blush

BlueBelle Wed 18-Oct-17 19:25:24

I was about 46 had a lot of flooding was given a DandC had nothing since that day and not one symptom ever

Chewbacca Wed 18-Oct-17 19:30:48

Last period was at 35. I tried HRT for a year but I really didn't get on with it at all, so I stopped taking it. I still occasionally get hot flushes but they've never been anything that I couldn't cope with. Only downside of very early menopause, and not taking HRT, is that osteoporosis is a high risk and so I have to have regular dexa scans.

Deni1963 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:55:31

Thanks for all the replies! I can't believe I didn't even have any symptoms really although my moof swings might account for it a few years ago, very happy and next minute just awful. Luckily my skin and hair are looking okay - but I haven't really felt any different at all. Now I have to face having the coil out! For me it was a life saver!

Serkeen Wed 18-Oct-17 20:36:35

I was 38 when my menopause started I like my Nan had an early one

Symptoms do get better and will completely go I myself did seem to have symptons come n go

paddyann Thu 19-Oct-17 00:08:35

I was put on HRT for severe symptoms in my mid fifties still bleed monthly now and I'm 64 ish .My sister is similar and has gone back onto HRT at 69 because of severe symptoms.My mum 's periods stopped when she was early 40's ,in fact she thought she was pregnant and was mortified because both my sisters were pregnant at that time .However she wasn't and she never had another period.She always said a late starter finished early and the opposite for an early starter.In our case she was spot on.She was 15 when she started,I was just shy of 11

NfkDumpling Thu 19-Oct-17 07:42:25

In my forties my periods came closer and closer and heavier and heavier until I only had less than a week clear in every three. Large fibroids and cysts found so I had a complete hysterectomy and opted for oestrogen only HRT. Still happily on the smallest dose as I turn into the bitch from hell if I come off - and apparently its now been decided that oestrogen only has more benefits than drawbacks!

My DD2 asked only last week when I had the menopause as she's hoping it may be happening for her, but I cheated. I haven't had one!

gillybob Thu 19-Oct-17 08:30:18

Paddyann could I be cheeky and ask if the hrt you are on is the cyclical kind? My consultant has taken me off hrt all together after just a year as I am bleeding almost continuously. I was fine when I was on cyclical (with the short bleed) but they changed me onto I continuous which obviously didn't agree with me somehow. Waiting for test results from scans and biopsies this week though so I guess a lot depends on what they say.

Luckylegs9 Thu 19-Oct-17 08:36:17

I didn't have one. No flushes, mood swings anything. Realise I must have been very lucky as my friends coped with varying symptoms.

harrigran Thu 19-Oct-17 08:42:06

I started getting heavier periods in my mid forties and a lot more pain on the first day or two. Bleeding stopped at 55 and I had no more symptoms. I have never had a hot flush.