Gransnet forums

Health

worried about DH

(50 Posts)
overthehill Tue 12-Dec-17 16:33:17

The other day DH started to stumbled abit over what he was trying to say. He has done the same today just for a short period he appears fine in eveything else but I am worried. Any thoughts anyone

IngeJones Wed 13-Dec-17 12:27:15

I wouldn't wait till it happens again! The next time might be the major one. I agree with several other posters here, that a difficulty in speaking that comes and goes in a matter of seconds or minutes is far more likely to be an early stroke warning than any other form of dementia or neurological disease. If you describe what has already happened on more than one occasion your doctor could put him straight onto medication that could stop it ever becoming serious.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 13-Dec-17 12:50:28

I'd like to ask if he has any other problems such as difficulty with swallowing? If it's just having a word on the 'tip of his tongue' but can't recall it, it happens to us all.
I'd keep an eye on things and persuade him to see the GP if it continues. Good luck.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 13-Dec-17 12:58:10

Having this morning watched a medical programme leads me to advise you to take your DH to see a doctor ASP.
There was a lady in this programme in A&E with concerns she could not form words.
It may be nothing for you to worry about but BE safe than sorry and don't wait for another day.I was not able to watch the rest of programme so I cannot give you the results of the tests that were carried out on this lady.
I sincerely hope your DH is ok

sarahellenwhitney Wed 13-Dec-17 13:07:02

Overthehill
DON'T wait to see if it happens again. No GP worth his salt would pat you on the back for waiting to 'see if it happens again'.

TellNo1Ok Wed 13-Dec-17 13:14:09

Do just go to GP and get it checked out...
Just go and be sure what .... if anything ... is going on...
And don't wait.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 13-Dec-17 13:24:46

Are you sure your husband is not dehydrated? The older we get, the more common it is not to feel thirst, or to cut down on drinking water in order not to have to make too many trips to the toilet! This is very counterproductive, as dehydration causes confusion and difficulty remembering things and I would not be surprised to learn it also can cause speech difficulties.

A couple of large tumblers of water more than your husband normally drinks is certainly worth trying, but make and appointment with your GP too, to be on the safe side.

Esspee Wed 13-Dec-17 13:44:46

You need to act now. Please don't wait a moment longer. If you can't get a doctor's appointment go to A&E. Please.

newnanny Wed 13-Dec-17 14:09:04

Don't wait, go to GP now as v hard to get appointment over Christmas.

Sandieanne Wed 13-Dec-17 14:38:08

I think you should get this checked out. I am a bit of an ostrich and dont usually want to know what is going on, but worrying about it is much worse.

Aepgirl Wed 13-Dec-17 14:46:14

Is your husband aware of these slip-ups, or is it something only you havev noticed? I feel it should not be ignored. At least a visit to your GP would set minds at rest.

Diddy1 Wed 13-Dec-17 14:49:22

Go to see your GP ASAP

Esspee Wed 13-Dec-17 16:17:57

Just checking in for an update.
Please overthehill let us know what progress you have made.

Jalima1108 Wed 13-Dec-17 17:35:22

I do hope they have seen a doctor by now.

Tess1 Wed 13-Dec-17 17:46:35

So do i !

Saggi Wed 13-Dec-17 20:27:52

You’re all assuming he’d go to doctor and get sorted. Mine won’t ever go and get treatment .... walked around on BROKEN LEG for a week before he went. Had a stroke ( albeit minor) and would NOT see doctor.Didnt go for his regular blood checks for three years while telling me he had gone ( I was working full time so knew no different) , until he collapsed and they found him anemic and had to have three pints of blood. Some people are just so scared of anything medical they just bury their heads and hope it goes away. I know , one day,mine will ignore every symptom until it’s too late ...his mother did the same. Just cant bear the thought of any treatment. I don’t understand it at all, but at 70 I consider he’s old enough to decide his own fate. He says he’d rather just fade than have treatments...operations...therapies. It’s an odd way of looking at illness but seems to be his families way!

Mojomax Wed 13-Dec-17 22:39:29

I would certainly get it checked out. I ignored all TIA symptoms through pure ignorance and put it down to being tired etc etc. I had a full blown stroke. Luckily I came out with only sensitive nerves down one side. Please get it checked out. It can't do any harm, but it could do a lot of good!
Best wishes

jura2 Thu 14-Dec-17 14:30:38

Any news? Could even be diabetes- high blood sugar can result in confusion too.

Don't wait for it to happen again - as this could have very unpleasant, or worse (sorry) consequences.

jura2 Thu 14-Dec-17 14:31:30

As Mojomax says, tiny strokes often lead to a full on one, with catastrophic consequences.

Madgran77 Thu 14-Dec-17 16:46:19

Please please don't wait, go to the Dr asap. It is vital!

overthehill Fri 15-Dec-17 10:25:54

Well the doc thinks it could have been early stages of hyperthermia as on both occassions he had been out in very cold temperatures with not much clothing on. The first time he was in an unheated garage doing car maintenance for a few hours and the second time out putting up Christmas lights again for a few hours in freezing cold with minimal clothing on. He said of course if it happens again, straight back.

DH although 74 very soon, still thinks and acts (obviously good in most respects) as someone much younger and doesn't take his age into account.

IngeJones Fri 15-Dec-17 10:29:46

Ah that sounds possible! Men are hopeless about noticing things like temperature and dressing appropriately

tonyp Fri 15-Dec-17 16:59:32

Definitely get him to your GP as a matter of urgency. This is a classic precursor to a stroke so don't delay. Sorry to add to your worry.
Good luck and I hope things work out OK....remember there is so much more that can be done if you get it early.

BlueBelle Sat 16-Dec-17 06:55:48

I m truely surprised your doctor has taken this so lightly

IngeJones Sat 16-Dec-17 08:48:16

I don't know BlueBelle, for instance the GP may know he's already on blood thinners making a TIA unlikely. Or he's just had a full medical, or he may have asked loads more questions about whether he had any weakness in his arm or face etc etc at the time. I am assuming the GP would have fully ruled out a TIA, and not just waved them away.