Gransnet forums

Health

constipation

(22 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 22-Dec-17 07:44:01

Has anyone got a remedy for constipation. I am on codiene for sciatica pain and it is making me very constipated.I am drinking lots of water, eating veggies, fruits, pulses, brown bread etc to no avail. Is there a safe laxative that you can buy over the counter dont really want to bother GP again.

OldMeg Fri 22-Dec-17 07:49:12

Ask your pharmacist. They can help you.

Iam64 Fri 22-Dec-17 08:27:18

Try to cut back on the codeine, it's potentially addictive and does cause constipation. Has your GP suggested an anti inflammatory instead of codeine. You need to protect your stomach but my experience was they were more effective and didn't cause the usual morphine type constipation.

You could buy some Flax seeds from Holland and Barratt or your supermarket. Add a table spoon or more to porridge in the morning and that will both help with inflammation and the other thing!

annsixty Fri 22-Dec-17 08:27:28

I was given sachets of Movicol when I had my TNR I was also sent home with a box, you can buy it over the counter.
I also ate lots of prunes, and kiwi fruit, at least 2 a day, that tip was given to me by the sister.
I soon got it under control. Good luck, it is very uncomfortable.

Nelliemoser Fri 22-Dec-17 08:43:45

Duloclax I think has stool softeners but do check this out. You really need to discuss this with the Pharmacist in your local chemists. They can be extremely helpful and are there to advise. They probably know more the medication than GPs do.
I had problems with the effects of these opiate pain killers after surgery. it was not fun.

Auntieflo Fri 22-Dec-17 08:58:11

In the past, I have used both Movicol and Laxido. Do try and get it sorted before you get so uncomfortable.

Luckygirl Fri 22-Dec-17 09:00:12

If push comes to shove tchgrin there are always suppositories - very effective I find.

whitewave Fri 22-Dec-17 09:00:56

My mum uses senocot I think it is called

Lindylo Fri 22-Dec-17 10:13:28

Eating figs and dates are a very good remedy and also liquorice.

Outtawork Fri 22-Dec-17 10:18:41

Try oranges, satsumas & if you can all bran or something like that.

hildajenniJ Fri 22-Dec-17 11:21:33

A good portion of sweetcorn and lots of seeded bread are good enough to get me going.

Teetime Fri 22-Dec-17 11:22:36

I used to find my patients responded well to a few dried apricots per day - they have the most fibre of any fruit apparently. Try to stay off aperients (laxatives) if you can but if you must have them advised by a pharmacist of GP. I have been taking co-codamol prn for back pain and arthritis for years (no addiction if its a therapeutic dose well monitored) and manage very well by including dried fruit and nuts into the diet. Also the single most important think in managing constipation is to drink plenty of fluids - doesn't matter what as long as its not sugary fizzy drinks.

LadyGracie Fri 22-Dec-17 11:42:02

Lactulose is very good, my doctor recommended it after my hysterectomy.

Sar53 Fri 22-Dec-17 12:56:50

I've suffered near all my adult life and my doctor has prescribed Movicol, but in the last few months I have discovered soft liquorice . Four pieces a day works wonders.

Fennel Fri 22-Dec-17 13:12:32

I've just been reading up about licorice, and it is known to be a laxative.
I saw some licorice root for sale in the supermarket this am but it was expensive so I didn't buy it.
My Gran used to drink senna tea, but that's supposed to be harmful if taken over a long period.

travelsafar Fri 22-Dec-17 13:46:25

thank you for all the recommendations, i am goingto try sennakot and buy some liquorice.

OldMeg Fri 22-Dec-17 16:02:47

Do make sure that the senokot does not react with other medication you are taking travelsafar - when you buy it check with the pharmacist.

BBbevan Fri 22-Dec-17 16:23:15

Liquorice is good for treating constipation. But be careful if you have high blood pressure as it can raise it. Good luck and I hope you feel lighter soon

bikergran Sat 23-Dec-17 10:09:35

Apparantly prunes are the best natural laxative (they performed a n experiment a while ago on tv, didnt use the real stuff) !! but a mock of what happend when you eat prunes ) there's an ingredient in forgot what its called.
But you have to start off with maybe just 2/3 (not the whole packet) have to be the natural ones , not ones out of a tin. I buy them in those re sealable pouches , last ages.

MontanaGal Sat 23-Dec-17 16:41:27

Greek yogurt with fruit mixed in.. That's the only thing that works for me.

Nanabilly Sat 23-Dec-17 16:46:10

Grapes work for me.

Alexa Fri 05-Jan-18 22:23:52

I'd give Laxido a medal. It changed my life for the better! Easy to find out the dosage that is best for me.