Gransnet forums

Health

Torn Rotator cuff repair

(16 Posts)
SillyNanny321 Wed 03-Jan-18 14:39:51

Hi has anyone had an operation to repair a torn rotator cuff?
I have read some blogs online & they are a bit worrying added to what I have been told at the Hospital.
I live alone & am expected to magic up from somewhere someone to be with me at home after the op as sent home on the day. Then having to wear a sling for anything upto 6 weeks after the op. When I asked how I would manage dressing, washing ( no shower allowed) cooking, looking after my two cats, I was told the cats would 'have to be sorted'?? Meaning what? Also that she was sure my family would 'rally round'! My brother has to have a hip replacement operation in two weeks time so no help there. My son& daughter in law live 20+ miles away, have 2 children & work to pay their mortgage so how can they help? There is no-one else! Anyone else been in a similar position with having this operation & no aftercare. Tips on how to manage if anyone has please?

Teetime Wed 03-Jan-18 15:07:05

If it were me I would have a chat with the GP to mobilise you some social care support. You may also find some of the local charities like AGE UK have some services you could have although there may be a small charge. As to the cats you vet may know of some help you could get with them. Good luck with the op. Best wishes flowers

NanaMacGeek Wed 03-Jan-18 15:12:11

Things may have changed since I had this operation (within the last 8 years) but I think you will need some help for the first few weeks. I didn't just wear a sling, my arm was strapped to my waist for at least two weeks. It was also very painful, although I believe I was a bit unlucky, it should have healed a bit faster and needed a cortisone injection to allow the physiotherapy. Dressing was extremely difficult, doing up a bra was impossible (even a front fastening one needs two hands!). I have my DH to help me.

You should investigate what help is available. Someone who had this operation more recently may give you better advice. I don't want to upset you so hope that there have been improvements to reduce recovery times for this operation.

Since recovering, though, the repair has made a tremendous difference and I have full movement with no pain or stiffness.

glammanana Wed 03-Jan-18 15:36:09

I have suffered with this for quite a few years and have managed the pain via injections over the years,the problem was exasperated 2 yrs ago when I fell onto my side when outdoors and shattered the complete shoulder joint in to quite a few fragments which have proved impossible to repair,my surgeon has advised me against the full replacement operation as he can't promise a good outcome and me to be painfree so I am going to continue managing the best I can with very little use of my right arm,I have learnt to do everything with just one arm even typing and washing my hair a bit of a chore but I can manage.

SueDonim Wed 03-Jan-18 16:06:58

Ask for an assessment by an occupational therapist. They should have some ideas to help you cope. It sounds very hard, I hope you can find a way to manage.

Granarchist Wed 03-Jan-18 17:15:35

OK I did have OH to help - he managed to give me scrambled egg on toast for breakfast my first day out of hospital - toast not cut up - really helpful! I would make sure your freezer is full of meals for one which can be eaten with one hand. Freeze a load of soup in mugs which can then be defrosted and heated in microwave and consumed one hand only. Use pouched cat food so no need of tin openers. Forget wearing a bra for a bit. My surgeon and physio only wanted me to wear the sling when tired. I had a strapping velcro thingy which kept it in place at night. Practice putting that on by yourself before the op. It can be done. The business of having someone at home on discharge is just to make sure you don't have a problem/pass out etc so I would tell them that you don't have anyone and they will probably keep you in overnight. I had three nights in after mine as I reacted badly to the anaesthetic. Good luck and don't forget to do the physio. I now have 100% mobility in that shoulder.

silverlining48 Wed 03-Jan-18 19:35:30

I had this operation about 5 years ago. I did the physio and the operation was 100% successful.
Granarchist gives good advice, just slob around a bit for the first few day. i dont recall it being too long before i felt better though i had my husband to assist. Your children may work etc but am sure they would help if needed.
Hope it works out well for you.

SillyNanny321 Wed 03-Jan-18 21:34:55

Thanks to all of you for your help. It has given me lots to think about. I have an appointment with my GP on Monday to see what he thinks. I may have to wait a while now for an op as I have a problem with my eyes picked up by the optician on my recent check up. I have amd & cataracts one of which the Optician thinks should be done as soon as due to not much sight in that eye. So at least if I put my eyesight first I will have more time to take on board all that you lovely people have told me & sort out some ways round the problem of after the op. Again thank you all!

Katek Wed 03-Jan-18 23:15:32

Just a couple of thoughts to add-any chance of boarding your cats for a week or so and staying with your son for first few days? Good luck as and when you have the op to

SillyNanny321 Fri 05-Jan-18 10:48:06

Talked ro Hospital yesterday about whether to have the repair op or concentrate on getting my eyes fixed first.
Very understanding & have cancelled the op till after i have my eye 'fixed'!
Gives me more time to think & organise what I will do after the repair.
So again thanks for all your thoughts.

annodomini Fri 05-Jan-18 11:40:46

When I had a partial shoulder replacement, 12 years ago, the OTs wouldn't let me go home until they had contacted Social Services about organising support. However, I'd have had to pay £16 per hour, so I told the SW 'no thanks' and I managed with some help from friends and teenage GD. I had intensive physiotherapy after about three weeks and was fortunate in that there was a bus from close to my house right to the hospital. I was able to have a shower when the dressing came off the wound which was a great relief. I'm puzzled that you say you can't have one. I got a cleaner from an agency for £10 per hour and was quite sorry to lose her when my arm got better! When I recently broke the same shoulder (!), my experience with the op was very valuable.

lovingit Fri 05-Jan-18 12:08:54

I think all of us who live alone, without family near ,dread being ill and having to rely on others .I have broken my right wrist and my life has turned upside down .
Ask for help from everyone!!
I had lots of great advice from GNs to help with the practicalities and have ordered several things that will make left handed life a little easier.
I

SillyNanny321 Sun 07-Jan-18 10:53:55

Thanks annodomini the only information I have been given is from the leaflets given at the pre-op appointment. My broither had shoulder surgery after a very bad work accident 10+ years ago so his experience will have been a lot different. I have been told that I will have to wear a sling 24/7 for upto 6 weeks. I have tried as advised to practice dressing with one hand, cooking & cleaning with one hand & trying to do housework one handed. All nearly impossible with one arm strapped close to your chest. Maybe this is the 'worst possible case' scenario that must be told to cover any form of 'compensation claim' that all hospitals are rightly frightened off? My closest friend is not very well herself & could not cope with helping me. I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow so may find out more then but in the meantime thank you for your help. Knowing I am not alone is a big help! I will have more time to think this all through when my eye problem is sorted out, hopefully soon.

Nana3 Sun 07-Jan-18 12:04:06

Be very wary of occupational therapists SN321. I found them stubborn and unhelpful, they would not let my Mum go home as there were two steps to her toilet, she had a broken ankle. She paid a fortune to go to a care home at their insistence where she fell and broke a hip. Maybe we were unlucky but I just wanted to let you know how they have power and can rule your life if you're not careful.

Nana3 Sun 07-Jan-18 12:06:48

Sorry should have said, good luck with your eye and shoulder problems and best wishes flowers.

SillyNanny321 Tue 09-Jan-18 09:59:56

Hi all, saw my GP he told me more than the people at the Hospital did. There is more than a rotator cuff repair that they want to repair. GP had fancy name that went right by me, want to shave something then after try to repair the rotator cuff tear.
Means wearing sling for at least 6 weeks, having someone to help dress & undress, cook meals, get me to Physio. All impossible as I do not have family nearby to 'rally round' as nurse said! GP said get my eye done then rethink the op. Even with a massive rethink I cannot find a way to have this op. So looks like I will be managing the ache with painkillers & hope this does not get too much worse. Good to know there is always Gransnetters to whinge to, thank you all!