Gransnet forums

Health

Tendonitis

(7 Posts)
supernanauna1 Sat 13-Jan-18 23:36:16

I've had a nagging pain in my hip for the past six months. It only happens when I go out walking and never affects me otherwise. I had an x-ray and ultrasound scan but they tell me the bones are fine and it's the tendon that's causing the problem.

I then saw a physio who gave me exercises to do but it seems the exercises just make the hip hurt and don't help with the pain when walking.

Has anybody else had this problem please?

OldMeg Sun 14-Jan-18 07:17:47

No, but DH has and it can take a long time for the swelling and pain to subside. Just when he thinks things are improving it flairs up again.

It might be worth paying privately for a sports physio, even if just for one or two sessions. They seem to be more expert and at this kind of injury, and no they don’t expect all their patients to be athletes.

DH does find the old RICE (rest, ice and elevate) treatment helps but you can do the C/compress obviously. And keep taking the paracetamol even though you don’t want to take them I bet, until the condition subsides.

Jane10 Sun 14-Jan-18 07:56:18

I had tendonitis in my elbow so very different from hip. It was painful and got in the way of life a lot. I was desperate and even tried acupuncture. Nothing worked except good old tincture of time. There didn't seem to be anything special I did or took that helped much. However, it did get better. Knowing that he won't always feel like he does might help your DH? I hope so.

OldMeg Sun 14-Jan-18 08:56:37

Thanks Jane.

midgey Sun 14-Jan-18 09:49:04

Supernan sounds like you have put your sacroiliac bone out, Is it fine around the house, up and down stairs etc etc then set off for a walk and it becomes really sore? You need a chiropractor or osteopath.

M0nica Sun 14-Jan-18 12:06:08

I had tendonitis in my hand. It was finally cured by a steroid imjection.

supernanauna1 Wed 17-Jan-18 00:16:50

Midgey - Crikey I wasn't expecting that suggestion - and you've described the pain perfectly. How would that happen? And would I get a chiropractor or osteopath on the NHS?

The exercises the physio gave me just make the pain last for longer - even when I come into the house, the pain continues for a few minutes and that wasn't happening before the physio.