Gransnet forums

Health

Chronic migraine

(11 Posts)
SueDonim Thu 01-Feb-18 18:03:54

CazB, I get a lot migraines, too. I'm not sure if they count as chronic, but they respond to Zomig. I get different types, this week I had a migraine with aura, which started in a shop - not very helpful!

I'm in my 60's too. I had my first one when I was 11yo and I am still waiting to grow out of them, like the doctor said I would. hmm

grannyactivist Thu 01-Feb-18 17:53:59

I had chronic migraine from my early teens and it was extremely debilitating. During the menopause I barely had a day or two to recover before the next one would hit me and I was unable to function properly. For years I had resisted a prophylactic, but finally I did agree to take one and after some trial and error I find that Pizotifen works for me. i do still get visual disturbances, but NO pain. It feels like a miracle and if I could turn the clock back I would have had it years ago.

Nandalot Thu 01-Feb-18 17:50:25

Sorrry about the Gobbledegook. Should read: I have to take it early in the evening or I am groggy the next day.

Nandalot Thu 01-Feb-18 17:48:55

I aalso suffer from chronic migraine, my first attack at 16. I am now on a very low dose off amytripaline . It does seem to help though uibhave to take it early evening, I am groggy the next day. As I don’t like taking medication, I stopped it for a couple of weeks and the migraines came back so I am on it again now.

CazB Thu 01-Feb-18 16:41:07

Thanks for your comments. I have tried lots of things, including altering my diet, but nothing seems to make much difference. I don't often have migraine attacks as such, just days of bad headaches which I control with Imigran. I have good and bad months. I have always been a headache sufferer, but it became a real problem around the menopause. I'm now 69, and the hope is that they will gradually become less.

Morgana Sat 27-Jan-18 18:15:21

I stopped having chocolate in the morning or coffee at any time of day. Suspect that aspartame can also cause migraine.

humptydumpty Fri 26-Jan-18 22:39:11

I had migraine for years, the only thing that worked for me was Migril (ergotamine), not sure if it's still being made (glad to say mine was hormone-related and very rare post-menopause).

whitewave Fri 26-Jan-18 21:46:15

My daughter is a sufferer, she is taking beta blockers which help. It is such a debilitating problem, and she has days of severe pain and sickness where she can’t see properly to drive or function to any great extent.

paddyann Fri 26-Jan-18 21:40:41

theres a new injection for migraine available from GP's .My grandson who is almost 15 has been speaking to his GP about it.It apparently has fantastic results

Morgana Fri 26-Jan-18 20:01:24

Have you already tried changing your diet?

CazB Sun 14-Jan-18 16:39:25

I have suffered from frequent bad headaches, diagnosed as CM for 19 years. I have been on many different meds, and the only one that helped somewhat was flunarizine, but it does cause some weight gain. My consultant wants me to try candesartan which I've started at a low dose, but have to build it up. I'm nervous about taking it, as it may produce side effects. Has any one else been on it for HA's, and know of anything that's helped for my problem?