Gransnet forums

Health

Cataract surgery

(33 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 18-Jan-18 19:26:17

I have cataracts - I have trouble reading music and the glare when night driving is a problem for me.

Saw the optician today and she said the cataracts were insufficiently advanced for surgery. Googling it they say surgery is appropriate when they start to interfere with daily life.

Has anyone had this surgery and how and when was the decision made to do so?

Thanks for your help.

NonnaW Fri 19-Jan-18 11:36:59

Not yesterday, last month. Sorry, don’t know where that came from. And it was a routine eye test!

Jayjay1 Mon 22-Jun-20 12:40:59

Hi Luckygirl
I just signed up on here and saw your post. I know its from a couple of years ago. Just wanted to know if you had the surgery. The reason I'm asking is that I have terrible glare in the light ie sunny day or even rainy day with white clouds etc. The light reflects and makes me see blurry, double, colour loss, and also when driving have depth perception issues. I have been to opthalmology 3 times through my GP only to be told that I do have cataracts but they are so small that they shouldnt be causing any problems. I can read the chart with my glasses to about the 3rd to bottom line. However when l go out my sight changes in the light. It's never the same. Eg I leave the office and its sunny outside and Im almost. blind as l cannot see or make anyone out, even as near as 12 feet. Then l walk into sainsbury and the light changes and my sight improves drastically. On a sunny day l cannot see any better with or without my glasses. I'm - 3.0 in both eyes and with my glasses on I see exactly the same as without my glasses. I have been to Spa Medica and they said I have cataracts and are willing to operate. I really don't know what to do but one thing is for sure that I cannot go on like this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

grandtanteJE65 Wed 24-Jun-20 12:54:49

It depends on the type of surgery when a cataract is ready for removal.

I had laser treatment on the cataract on my right eye last summer. At that time I was told that the one in my left eye was not ready to be removed. I have an appointment on Monday to have it checked.

I had difficulty judging depth and adjusting from light to shade.

The treatment was easy and completely painless, done with local anaesetic in the form of eye drops. It took only 20 minutes and I have frequently felt a great deal less comfortalbe at the dentist's, so it is nothing to worry about.

watermeadow Wed 24-Jun-20 16:10:26

I’m waiting for cataract surgery. When I went to be assessed at the hospital I was told that consultants have to apply for funding and it’s only granted if it can be justified.
At the same time the consultant asked why I had waited so long. I had to wait until SpecSavers referred me so their fault, not mine.

JohnRNIB Tue 30-Jun-20 16:28:32

Hi @Jayjay1

As posters have said previously, current NICE guidance is that cataract surgery should be offered depending on how they're impacting your quality of life.

You can contact the RNIB Eye Health Information Service through our Helpline for help and advice - just telephone: 0303 123 9999 Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, and Saturday 9am to 1pm, or email: [email protected]

ExD Tue 30-Jun-20 17:27:36

Yes, do as JohnRNIB suggests. The idea of cataracts having to be ripe is outdated so you have every right to insist. You won't regret it, and if you get the secondary film its easily zapped by lazer.
I imagine there'll be a huge backlog so the sooner you're on the waiting list the better. I now only need my specs for reading.

Jimpy Sun 26-Jul-20 12:49:00

Does astigmatism have any bearing on the results of nhs cataract surgery, does anyone know? I dont want to be worse off. Apparently private procedures use a Toric lens to correct astigmatism which is when your eye is the shape of a rugby ball.