Gransnet forums

Health

Canesten!!

(31 Posts)
Willow500 Sat 17-Feb-18 14:30:37

I've been on anti-biotics which has caused thrush. I've just been to the chemist and been told I can't buy Canesten as I'm over 60 and have to see the GP for a prescription! I've never heard of anything so ridiculous. Not only is it a waste of my time, the doctors and also money as I don't pay for prescriptions it also means that theoretically I could ask my 16 year old granddaughter to go and buy it as the age limits are 16-60. I've just read that you can buy it off the shelf in the supermarket so it will be off to Tescos tomorrow! angry

Willow500 Tue 20-Feb-18 18:07:04

I went to another chemist yesterday and just asked for it - the assistant didn't ask my age just if I'd had the symptoms before then sold it to me! The sheet inside does say not to be used under 16 or over 60. Hoping it clears up now but will go to the GP if it doesn't.

Hatpev Sun 17-Jun-18 18:18:09

Lie! ?
I said it was for my daughter and am I glad I did!
We are somewhere in Croatia and boy do I need it. ☹️

Deedaa Sun 17-Jun-18 21:36:00

I don't think any surgeries will do prescriptions over the phone unless you speak to an actual doctor.

grannieChris62 Wed 22-Aug-18 13:22:51

yet more ageism how are we to keep taking time off work now that we have to work till 66 keep going to GP wasttine their precious time and nhs money and then get the blame for everything that is wrong in this country. They have to have some one to blame for the complete mis management of this wonderful country of ours We are the easy targets

janemar Wed 22-Aug-18 13:34:24

I had the same experience, I was told it is because it is a symptom of diabetes.I went to another chemist and said I had been taking antibiotics which caused the thrush and was given the canestan. I have now found that probiotics taken daily stop me getting thrush.