Gransnet forums

Health

Sciatica/trapped nerve

(34 Posts)
Nanos Thu 29-Mar-18 09:19:49

I have been diagnosed with Sciatica and a trapped nerve.
I cannot sit on my left side without dreadful pain and my leg goes into a wave of cramp. When I finally manage to get up and walk around the house and then need to sit down, my bed is the most comfortable place. I have decent painkillers, but feeling very guilty about lying in bed.
Any suggestions from other sufferers would be most welcome.

HildaW Wed 30-Jan-19 13:33:26

One of the simplest exercise to help sciatica in the lower back is to lie on you back on a firm but not hard surface. Pull your knees up as far as you can go (so that you are in a sort of foetal position and rock gently back and forward on your back. It massages the back and improves the blood flow as will as sort of unhinging the vertebrae. That being said anyone with lower back pain does need to check it out to make sure its 'only' sciatica.

Scribbles Wed 30-Jan-19 13:40:58

You should request a scan to establish the cause of your sciatica. My daughter was in agonising pain and virtually crippled for around 2 years until spinal stenosis was diagnosed - putting it very simply, the sciatic nerve was adhering to the "lining" of several lumbar vertebrae.
The answer was complex neuro surgery which took place last September to free the nerve and fuse the affected vertebrae together. She's no longer in pain but the recovery is long and slow and her bending and lifting abilities are still very restricted. However, both she and her consultant are reasonably optimistic about a virtually full recovery over the next year or two.

I sincerely hope the OP's condition is nothing like so complex but my point is to get it properly diagnosed. If Daughter hadn't been persistent about not being fobbed off with ever more powerful but less effective analgesia, she would still be in agony.
Get well soon.

SDPilates Wed 30-Jan-19 16:24:18

Hi you could try Pilates? Pilates is really good for helping people with sciatica. Depending on where you are you should be able to find a local Pilates instructor, and if you are in the South West you could try www.southdevonpilates.co.uk/

Suegez1972 Wed 30-Jan-19 17:19:45

Physiotherapy, stretching the muscles and a machine called novosonic therapy which cost about £100 helped me, after 10 months of suffering it gradually went, I would’ve paid anything

MrsJamJam Wed 30-Jan-19 17:52:09

I found a 20 minute exercise routine on YouTube for sciatic pain relief. Did it every day for a month or more and the pain gradually subsided.

baubles Wed 30-Jan-19 17:53:51

My poor DD who is almost 40 weeks pregnant is suffering terribly with this just now. I do hope it’s just the baby pressing on a nerve in which case it will ease after the birth. Not sure she’s fit to push a car at the moment. grin

NotStressedOut Sun 10-Feb-19 19:42:46

I too have had sciatica. I eventually had to have my lower disc removed but have been left with some numbness in the leg and foot. A few weeks after the operation I was able to start physio. It’s anout 12 years since my operation and I still get sciatica. Keeping mobile is the best thing for sciatica. I too cannot sit for very long and I find lying flat does help. However exercise is the best thing you can do to prevent further pain. Do either ask your doctor refer you for physio therapy as they will give the right exercises for your condition. In my area I can refer myself for physio so check it out with your surgery. My physiotheripist also said I should do Pilates as it helps to strengthen the core muscles which helps with sciatica pain. I too take Mirtazapine for anxiety. It is not classed as addictive but it should not be stopped without your GP’s advice. Mindfulness is also good to help with pain. But keeping active and not sitting for too long is best for sciatica pain.

Ashman Thu 28-Nov-19 13:46:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.