Gransnet forums

Health

Husband has had stroke and his sister is being difficult

(10 Posts)
arcadia03 Mon 02-Apr-18 10:28:15

Whilst we are very lucky that my husband is recovering well from a stroke, his sister had promised support (which was very limited) and now wants to visit according to her own terms despite the fact that visiting has to be limited. She just doesn't want to understand the pressures we have in the week with the stroke rehab team who visit daily, the dog walking I need to do, and my early evening part-time job, but she refuses to visit in our free weekends because that is when she sees her adult son and daughter in law.
My husband is a little put out as she couldn't even pop in over the Easter weekend, though it has been a good rest for me. His sister lives 100 yards down the road, and seemingly sees the visiting as a social occasion, without being flexible at all. My own family live far away. His sister overstayed her visit last week, (she arrived late and I had to leave the house for my part-time job for an hour and a half) with the result my husband's throat muscles were sore and exhausted trying to communicate with her and her husband. It took several days for him to recover. I was so cross. What is the matter with this woman who pretends to care?

Cherrytree59 Mon 02-Apr-18 10:56:20

His sister and her husband don't understand how debilitating a stroke is and how difficult it is for wife/husband/carer to juggle care and in your case work.
My advice would be to spell it out and point out that further stress could bring on another stroke.
And/or give her some pamphlets (regarding strokes) to read to help her understand the condition better.

Your priority is to your DC and yourself.

Tell your husband that as soon as he has had enough of his visitors or conversing with them to close his eyes!
Hopefully they will get the message.

flowersWishing your DH a speedy recovery

Luckygirl Mon 02-Apr-18 11:21:56

I know about all this - I have a SIL who gives me verbal grief over my sick OH. We had to cancel a visit from her (she lives far away) as we were both too ill to cope - boy did I get it in the neck!!! She hasn't the vaguest clue how difficult things are and just wants to swan in briefly to fulfill her fantasy of being a ministering angel. Sigh.

Situpstraight Mon 02-Apr-18 11:26:57

I think that the problem is that no one has told his sister!

Please pop a note through her door ( if you aren’t able to tell her to her face) listing the hours/times that it’s convenient for her to visit and asking her not to pop around at other times as your DH needs to rest on his doctors orders.

If that fails, give her a list of things that she can do, like take your dog out or do some shopping for you.

Maybe she thinks that you want the weekends alone?

PS. If you have already told her all of this, then she is a selfish bat and probably won’t change.

MissAdventure Mon 02-Apr-18 11:32:38

People have strange ideas about 'supporting' someone, I've found.
Usually it means doing things that suit them.

blossom14 Mon 02-Apr-18 11:50:40

I do sympathise we are 11 weeks post stroke for my DH and down to 1 visit a week from the rehab team. I felt as though I was run ragged for a lot of the time never mind having a dog and a job to juggle with as well.
Some of our family just don't seem to get that some days all the progress goes pear shaped and the tiredness closes in. We have been blessed with some good friends who judge their visits by how my DH talks ( you can tell when he is struggling ).
Your SIL needs to be told bluntly that she is not being at all helpful.

gillybob Mon 02-Apr-18 11:51:12

Blimey tell me about it . Support ? Don’t make me laugh .

MissAdventure Mon 02-Apr-18 11:55:05

The support I've had from my friend during my daughters illness, death, and my grandson coming to live with me, is a text once a month.
Asks if I'm ok, then, however I answer, goes on to tell me her news.
No visits, not an invite for a cup of tea..

merlotgran Mon 02-Apr-18 12:33:56

We were fortunate to have supportive friends when DH had his stroke. Lots of offers of help with the 'man' stuff like stacking logs and finishing off some jobs he'd started.

Mum had just gone into care so DD helped out with visiting and when things settled down we had visits from relatives who live hours away.

I think the problem is your DH's sister lives nearby. It's going to be a trial and error situation because I don't think she does know how to care or support in a manner that's really helpful.

I'm sure things will sort themselves out. You're the one doing the juggling act though so it's tough on you.

Been there!

arcadia03 Tue 03-Apr-18 09:12:23

Thanks for everyone's understanding and supportive comments. Makes me feel I'm not on my own here.