Gransnet forums

Health

Bugs

(66 Posts)
etheltbags1 Tue 03-Apr-18 18:08:49

Has anyone got problems like I have. Since did started reception she has had numerous bugs. Just before the summer hols she had chicken pox followed by a kidney infection, she has had various sick bugs, and spend Xmas eve vomiting, now after another session, her mother was ill then got kidney problems, now her dad is ill and her other gran has sickness bug too. It is the effect that the fear has on all of us. I have accused my mother of being dirty as she doesn't handwash very often. Daughter is in a frenzy of cleaning the loo and kitchen surfaces, I'm not allowed in in case I get it. We are all scared of these bugs. The little one is not allowed to see the other gran now. It just goes on and on. I'm so scared that I'm imagining germs on everything. Now a friend has said her grandkids have it too and their mother. I just can't cope with the fear if being ill

BlueBelle Tue 03-Apr-18 18:18:45

All kids pick up things when they first go to school especially if they ve been protected too much ( not playing out or being in other kids company at play school etc ) I don’t think kidney infection are common in small kids

I would imagine all this over cleaning washing and worrying is making you more susceptible not less, you sound as if youve become almost phobic and this phobia will pass on to the little girl who is now banned from seeing her other grandmother, goodness me calm down, unless of course you or the other gran are very ill with compromised immune systems it all sounds normal just stop worrying

annodomini Tue 03-Apr-18 19:01:27

BlueBelle is right, try to relax. All these bugs will pass and children, in particular, are very resilient. They are all (I hope) vaccinated against the childhood diseases we had. I had measles, whooping cough and pneumonia all in the first year of school! So I suppose the bugs that get passed around seem quite scary. Has your family been to see the doctor or pharmacist for effective remedies? You accuse your poor mother of being dirty, but it seems to me that she's so far escaped the bugs besetting your DD's family.

Situpstraight Tue 03-Apr-18 19:41:56

The sooner you all catch these bugs the sooner you will build up some defence.

If you stay away from the poor child each time she gets ill, you’ll never see her!

It’s normal for them to catch everything going when they first go to school amongst new children, it’s nothing to worry about.

I’m not sure why you are all so scared about being unwell? Again, it’s fairly normal when you look after the GCs.

Jalima1108 Tue 03-Apr-18 19:54:14

The first year at school they seem to pick up everything that is going and GP seem to catch everything from them too.

Washing hands is sensible but don't go beserk with the cleaning with disinfectant - germs are normal.
At least chicken-pox is out of the way now.

DS always says that a bug goes round just before the school holidays and the DGC get it as soon as they break up and are going somewhere!

Has she had nits yet? or, worse, worms?
Just asking.

Jalima1108 Tue 03-Apr-18 19:55:38

ps I really hate vomiting bugs.
and I do remember having a kidney infection when I was a child but can't remember the treatment for it, probably pre-anti-biotics.

Squiffy Tue 03-Apr-18 19:57:32

etheltbags I remember why you’re so concerned about catching bugs. If you avoid the children while they’re poorly then hopefully you’ll be OK. Take care of yourself.

harrigran Tue 03-Apr-18 19:58:31

I understand where you are coming from Ethel as I have had the same problems after chemo and I can still be very ill when GDs bring bugs home.

Jalima1108 Tue 03-Apr-18 19:59:21

I have a very low immune system too ethel but when I was very ill once it was nothing to do with anything I had caught from the DGC.

etheltbags1 Tue 03-Apr-18 20:11:42

Just to add that my mother has just had a sick bug and was banned from seeing everyone for 48 hours about 3 weeks ago, we just hate being sick or having the runs, I can't spell the proper word for it. We are going to a caravan next week so all very concerned about being ill.?

etheltbags1 Tue 03-Apr-18 20:16:28

Thank you squiffy for that kind remark, I also just wanted to add that no we've seen no nits yet but we have all looked so hard and worms none either but my dd couldn't cope with those. She panicked when I said I saw a moth. And both she and dgd scream in terror if they see a spider, out with the bleach

SpanielNanny Tue 03-Apr-18 20:22:53

ethelbags1 I don’t know your backstory, so I sincerely hope that you can take my comments with the genuine goodwill that they are meant.. have you tried speaking to your gp about this? Is it possible that this is a genuine phobia? Your fear of germs is taking over your life, and preventing you from living day to day. This is so sad, and you may be able to get help. A gp may be able to offer you counselling or coping strategies to help you to deal with this. I hope you and your family find a way to enjoy your holiday flowers

Elegran Tue 03-Apr-18 21:18:50

ethel Remind your DD and DGD that flies spread germs but spiders get rid of flies, so the poor spider is doing more good than the bleach is!

phoenix Tue 03-Apr-18 21:34:18

I think that everyone hates being sick or having the runs, Ethel, but not sure why your dd panicked when you told her you'd seen a moth?

Farmor15 Tue 03-Apr-18 22:00:00

Both my husband and I were microbiologists and are often criticised by our children over our rather careless attitude to hygiene. This is quite common among microbiologists as we know where the real risks are, but don’t try to disinfect everything in sight. Despite, (or maybe because of) our not very clean house, our children weren’t sick very much growing up, apart from usual childhood illnesses. We did give them every vaccine offered and would have got chickenpox vaccine if available as it can be very nasty.

Many children pick up bugs when they mix with other children and sometimes pass them on to adults, which is annoying, but not dangerous unless the person is immunosuppressed. Anxiety and stress can also lead to illness, including suppressing immune system, so worrying about the bugs may increase your risk of catching something, Ethelbags.

Welshwife Tue 03-Apr-18 22:11:47

Every time I changed school I had a winter of colds etc - every school has its own set of bugs. I knew other teachers who were the same.

Nanabilly Tue 03-Apr-18 22:17:58

When my gs first started a nursery he caught everything under the sun.He would recover from one virus only to start with a new virus almost immediately . I took him to see his gp with son and dils 's permission of course and gp told me this could go on until he is 5 years old and he has built up his immune system.
It's a horrid time but the most of it is airborne virus's and there for a nothing you can do about it . In my opinion a bit of dirt never hurt anyone so don't go blaming people for being dirty the problem is the ones who are too clean.

Magrithea Wed 04-Apr-18 09:23:18

Wash your hands when you get home after being out, only go mad with the disinfectant if child is vomiting. My DD had a horrible bug when she started reception, I cleaned up religiously after every session of d&v and no-one else in the family got it.

It's only natural to worry but being too 'clean' can be a disadvantage

HannahLoisLuke Wed 04-Apr-18 09:24:41

I get paranoid about getting a cold Ethel as it goes straight to my lungs and I'm really quite ill for about three weeks.
Generally though I read somewhere that the older we get the more germs we're resistant to because our immune system has encountered them before.

Gagagran Wed 04-Apr-18 09:28:07

I remember how ill you were and what a hard time it was for you Ethel so can understand your concern about catching something. It is a balance between seeing your loved ones and asking them to keep away if they are unwell. Surely they know to be careful?

You have done so well and I hope that continues for you. Keep positive and look after yourself. smile sunshine

keriku Wed 04-Apr-18 09:30:26

One of my sister in laws is obsessive about cleaning and was still sterilizing the kids' plates when they were over a year old - they got big everything going! The other, has pets galore, rarely cleans, has the grottiest bathroom ever and her kids were never ill! If you are going to take I'll you will - my granny used to always say that there is clean dirt and dirty dirt and I thoroughly agree! PS I hope you all feel better soon.

fran1311 Wed 04-Apr-18 09:42:53

Some of the illnesses we get are airbourne so no amount of cleaning can stop us getting these.
Just after Xmas everyone seemed to be going down with a horrible virus, the cough was awful. In shops you would hear people coughing so I carried with me a hand gel that I rubbed in after touching baskets or money. I still got the bug but it was an airbourne virus!! Don't want it again.

radicalnan Wed 04-Apr-18 09:45:15

Too much cleaning is bad for us especially with the products we use. Plenty of hot soapy water and some bleach down the toilet is enough. The bugs are a worry when we are not well ourselves but really if they are doing the rounds there isn't much you can do to avoid them.

If we don't get them via our kids they are out there at the bus stop or in the shops, hand washing helps and no shoes in the house.

Applegran Wed 04-Apr-18 09:55:38

I think getting worried more than is necessary is catching - it looks as if you have all 'infected' each other with this fear of illness, and your shared fear may be much worse than actually being ill. As others have said, we get ill! Our children get ill! And in the vast majority of cases we all get well again. So you could 'feel the fear and do it anyway' - whatever the "it" is that you want to do, maybe seeing a sick grandchild. The child will love that you came, and if you get ill, you will recover.

SussexGirl60 Wed 04-Apr-18 09:58:37

You’re not alone. I’m a Complementary therapist and see lots of people who feel this way(often it’s not why they’re consulting me). If you’re coping with the fear, I would leave it be, but if it seriously affects your life, you may want to look at the possibilities of talking about it to someone.