Gransnet forums

Health

Advice about incontinence operation

(7 Posts)
chickenlegs Fri 06-Apr-18 14:00:49

My DH had prostate cancer treated by radiotherapy and that is now in full remission. However, it has left him with incontinence which he manages with pads - about three industrial sized ones per day.
He had one operation to try and improve this - I think he had a portion of his prostate shaved away - but it hasn't helped. The surgeon has offered to try again and take a little bit more, but warns that there is a "possibility" that will leave him fully incontinent. She doesn't say how high the likelihood is but says that will mean her fitting a "mechanical device" to control the urine.
He cannot decide whether to go ahead. Do any Gransnetters have experience of mechanical devices or this problem please?

Charleygirl Fri 06-Apr-18 14:07:53

Has he tried drugs or is the incontinence beyond drugs?

I would try to find out the % of him being left fully incontinent and maybe weigh it up that way?

Good luck- it cannot be easy.

silverlining48 Fri 06-Apr-18 14:15:10

My dh had his prostate removed last summer and is still using pads, usually 2 a day but hope it may still i mprove in time.
Is this the only option available for your dh. Is there anything else which might carry less risk of full incontinence and all that entails.

valeriej43 Fri 06-Apr-18 22:40:35

My partner had this operation last year, and now has prostate cancer,he is dreading having something like this happen, as he is also having Radiotherapy,
I hope your DH finds something that helps ,without having to have this mechanical device,poor man it must be so depressing for him

chickenlegs Sat 07-Apr-18 20:53:27

Thank you for your comments. He has sent for one of those devices which exercises the pelvic floor muscles and will postpone the operation until he sees what progress he can make. He's very uncomplaining about it all.

midgey Sat 07-Apr-18 21:29:41

Perhaps the mechanical device would be a catheter? They can be pretty uncomfortable.

Jellybaby71011 Sat 07-Apr-18 21:44:27

My husband had his prostate removed in 2010 and was immediately totally incontinent. Pads were inadequate to deal with the problem and an external catheter and leg bag were problematic from the start. After about 18 months he was offered surgery to fit an artificial sphincter with an internal pump which he operates manually. In his words “this has been life changing”. We can go into further details if you need them. Hope this helps.