Gransnet forums

Health

Hair and nails not growing

(11 Posts)
fluttERBY123 Sun 15-Apr-18 12:04:11

I am late 70s, not on any meds, healthy (fingers crossed) not (very) overweight. The last twice I have been to have hair trimmed we have realised hair has hardly grown, if at all and I have noticed ditto with nails and dead skin on feet. Previously I seemed to be cutting nails every week.

Hairdresser says hair grows at different rates, v slow, normal and spurts of fast growth, which is encouraging.

Can't find anything from googling, though might not be putting in right words. Does anyone know anything about this?

OldMeg Sun 15-Apr-18 12:32:02

I’m sure somebody will come up with an answer. Oddly enough it’s often a new poster that we’ve never heard from before.

Strange that. Hope you indeed get the answer you need.

Situpstraight Sun 15-Apr-18 13:03:57

Well, I’ve just asked Dr Google and he says that hair and nail growth slows as we age, although there are people who claim to have written books about their marvellous diets, (yours for only £15.99!) And their hair and nails are growing like crazy.....
My eyebrows have stopped growing, the existing ones are getting longer, but I don’t seem to be plucking any unruly ones out lately, once I’ve plucked them out they don’t return. Maybe they will when the weather improves, meanwhile they’re staying inside in the warm? like me.

Having said all of this a good diet seems to be key here, no more chocolate or cake...........

M0nica Sun 15-Apr-18 17:56:46

I was told this happens as we get older. Having always been hirsute, I am very happy that the growth of body hair has slowed down, although hair on my head is growing as fast as ever. I have also noticed my nails grow more slowly. DH has noticed that his nails are also growing more slowly.

Synonymous Sun 15-Apr-18 18:20:40

I had a problem with my nails so was advised to start taking a good mineral supplement, vitD 3 and drinking more water. It has taken quite a while for my nails to properly grow out, about 2 years I think, but now they are back to normal. It worked for me, it might work for you, but as we are all different who knows?! Worth a shot perhaps? smile

Willow500 Sun 15-Apr-18 18:39:43

My nails have never grown so this won't be an age problem - I gel them now which seems to be the only way I can get them to stop splitting. I have never had much body hair either so hopefully it won't suddenly start to sprout but my eyebrows are now very sparse and I've had to resort to drawing them in!! Thankfully the hair on my head is still growing - my hairdresser also said it goes in spurts and she notices if the sun comes out peoples hair seems to grow faster.

Baggs Sun 15-Apr-18 19:47:47

For two weeks after I broke my arm last year the fingernails on my right hand didn't grow. Those on my left hand grew as usual. I put it down to all the calcium etc that those on my right hand would normally have got going straight to the bone repair and not reaching my fingernails!

Something one used to hear about nail health was jelly cubes—the ones made of real gelatin, which is practically pure protein. One was supposed to eat a cube of undiluted jelly a day for nail health.

janeainsworth Sun 15-Apr-18 19:57:57

I take these flutterby
Boots Hair Skin and Nails

I know all that about if you have a healthy diet you don’t need supplements etc etc, but I think that as we get older, we don’t absorb nutrients from our diet so well, and they make a difference to me.

Synonymous Mon 16-Apr-18 01:05:56

Me too as in supplements Jane and I have become very careful as regards diet in general. I also think you are quite right about the deteriorating ability to absorb nutrients as we age.

Ailsa43 Mon 16-Apr-18 01:22:32

Try a Biotin gel supplement. Only one a day, don't miss a day though, and you'll find that within a couple of weeks your nails will become stronger , and your hair will break off less, especially if you have fine or damaged hair.

if you don't take it every day then the effect doesn't last, so ensure that you take one every day around the same time. It worked miracles on my hair and nails. I've got fine hair that breaks easily, and ditto nails, and I was at my wits end with it, even paying £30 every 3 weeks to have Gel nails to keep my nails looking good, but the ultimate problem with the Gel Nails is that when they're removed the natural nail can be severely damaged and even more paper thin than before, but since taking the Biotin capsule every day for the last year, I have no need for the Gel any more, and my hair is growing much faster because I'm not losing so much everytime I wash or comb it.

fluttERBY123 Mon 16-Apr-18 23:14:28

Thanks everyone - it's just that it happened so suddenly, must accept it's happened.