Gransnet forums

Health

Psoriasis

(9 Posts)
loopyloo Tue 17-Apr-18 07:39:41

Does anyone know of a good skin cream for Psoriasis? Preferably one I can buy over the counter. My DH has a little patch that needs treating and he won't want to go to the doctor.

OldMeg Tue 17-Apr-18 07:41:13

Ask your pharmacist.

MawBroon Tue 17-Apr-18 08:02:58

Epaderm? But it may be prescription only. My MIL and my friends Ayurvedic Doctor used to swear by Rosewater and Glycerine and it is certainly chemical free. Wright’s Coal Tar soap or Aqueous Ointment for washing.
Said to be aggravated by stress - are you giving him a hard time? wink

Situpstraight Tue 17-Apr-18 08:08:42

This might sound odd, but I’m reading a book at the moment by a German author who says that quite a few people who have had psoriasis have had their tonsils removed and it’s cured them. Not sure how many people have been treated or even if it’s recognised in the UK.
Might be something to research though.

Iam64 Tue 17-Apr-18 09:07:46

Is this the first patch of psoriasis he's had? The pharmacist is a good place to start because of a doctor's appointment is needed, the pharmacist will say so. Steroid cream may be needed.
Don't use any soap, wash and moisturise with Zero AQS products, they do an ointment and a moisturiser.

Cold Tue 17-Apr-18 09:13:09

I have had psoriasis since I was 5.

The possible link between tonsils and psoriasis has been well known for decades. However not all types of psoriasis respond to this treatment. I was tested for a project at the Royal London Hospital in 1989 but I had the "wrong" type of psoriasis for the tonsil-removal treatment. It would also depend on the extent - I had full-body psoriasis - but I doubt they would consider surgery for elbow/knee plaques.

I have tested most of the available prescription and non-prescription medications - some work short term, but few work long term and some make matters worse (got burns from one prescribed treatment). The best non-medication that I have found that works pretty well is Body Shop Olive Oil body butter.

pensionpat Tue 17-Apr-18 09:13:26

I've suffered it for more than 60 years. Tried many creams. Some worked better than others. However, for me, when a new one pops up I know if I ignore it, it will end in a large area. So my advice is to strenuously attack it as soon as there are any signs.

Teetime Tue 17-Apr-18 09:14:06

Is it definitely psoriasis? Its a good idea to show it to the pharmacist if he doesn't want to go to the doctor.

Iam64 Tue 17-Apr-18 09:15:49

pension pat is correct - you need to get on top of a patch to stop it taking over.
Also psoriasis often comes with its auto immune friends. See the pharmacist but ideally, your husband should see his doctor.