Gransnet forums

Health

Vitamin D deficiency.

(120 Posts)
Marydoll Wed 02-May-18 19:23:49

Last week, I was diagnosed with a severe vitamin D deficiency.
This explains why I have been feeling awful for ages.
I suggested going on holiday in the sun, but the consultant said," You can lie in the sun in Dubai naked for a year, but it won't make any difference!"
It did conjure up a pretty frightening image in my head, of an elderly, naked, overweight woman, lying in the sun. ??
Has anyone else suffered from this and have you eventually felt better after taking medication?

ji2kooB4iev2 Mon 14-Sep-20 14:51:55

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Callistemon Mon 10-Feb-20 10:01:50

He even posted on a bereavement thread.
Idiot.
No wonder he's alone.

BlueSky Mon 10-Feb-20 09:22:44

Marydoll grin

Marydoll Mon 10-Feb-20 09:03:37

He has been on just about every thread during the night!
Doesn't he realise that if you have low Vit D, you are knackered! ?

BlueSky Mon 10-Feb-20 08:56:17

Marydoll why does your post on Vit D attract spammers? confused

Marydoll Sun 09-Feb-20 23:40:34

Reported

mike28939 Sun 09-Feb-20 23:31:52

blondenana Tue 28-Jan-20 23:31:02

My own GP prescribed vid D and while he was away for a few weeks last year i had to see another Dr about another thing and she took them off me and said you don't need those
I do buy them now but i forget sometimes, whereas on prescription i never forgot each month
I was very annoyed with this other Dr as she tried to stop other meds too, i did say then,i would prefer my own Dr to decide this,or not

Marydoll Tue 28-Jan-20 19:47:25

Firstly, as the original poster, I reported this thread of two years ago, due to the spam post offering vitamins online, which came before BlueSky's post.

For those of us who suffer from osteoporosis and are unable to take oral biophosphates, it is essential for doctors check Vitamin D levels, before administering an Alendronic acid infusion. This is done annually, prior to the treatment being administered.
This infusion can leach Vitamin D from the body, so it is essential to check Vit D levels before commencing treatment.
In my case, the levels didn't register at all, so I had a very high dose course of Vitamin D, prescribed by an endocrinologist for I received an infusion.

Low levels of Vitamin D can cause:
Increased risk of death from cardiovascular disease
Cognitive impairment in older adults
Severe asthma in children
Cancer

For some reason, my body wasn't storing Vitamin D.
Being faired skinned, red haired and living in northern climate with little sunshine, probably contributed to this.

Callistemon Tue 28-Jan-20 19:30:30

PernillaVannilla being coeliac can mean that many nutrients are not absorbed into the bloodstream, one of the ones causing such problems is iron.
Did the GP check his iron levels too?

Callistemon Tue 28-Jan-20 19:28:22

in hot countries like Australia
Where people have been told to Slip, Slop, Slap since the 1980s and are still very careful indeed about sun protection.

BlueSky Tue 28-Jan-20 19:10:41

I'm taking up this thread even though it's two years old. I find it strange that we are all encouraged to take/prescribed Vit D nowadays, as I've always believed that you can have too much of this vitamin as it's not water soluble like Vit C for instance, where if you take too much your body simply flushes it out with urine. It's even recommended in hot countries like Australia! Makes me wonder why all of the sudden people seem to be deficient in it and all sorts of symptoms are blamed on it!

Marydoll Tue 28-Jan-20 18:53:38

This thread two years old.

Reported.

pipelinepharma Tue 28-Jan-20 18:38:42

PernillaVanilla Tue 01-Oct-19 14:51:29

My DH had vitamin D deficiency last year. He is coeliac and apparently there can be an absorbtion problem with vitamin D. He looked like death warmed up, had no energy and pins and needles in his hands. People were asking me what was the matter with him and we were both very worried. Our G.P. prescribed some injections, followed by daily tablets and he is now just fine.

madmarchram Mon 30-Sep-19 14:49:18

Hi all smile,

Very first post so hope you don't mind me joining in.

I have taken Vit D ( colecalciferol 800iu ( 20mg Vit d) daily for around 6 or 7 years now as a maintainence dose. Until starting this dose, I was prescribed 26,000 iu daily for 6 months. My Vit D level was 14 before I started the tablets. It was last tested in June this year and was 51.5 which is the highest it has been for over a decade. According to the doctor, it needs to be between 50 and 120 to be within normal range.

growstuff Sun 29-Sep-19 10:24:23

I'm diabetic, so used to pin pricks :-(.

craftyone Sun 29-Sep-19 10:10:40

I did this for 3 years, hated doing the pin prick but now know how much I need and take it every day. I feel great and always have lots of energy. Also balance with other minerals like mag and with vit K. I was part of the initial d`action programme
www.grassrootshealth.net/project/daction/

growstuff Sun 29-Sep-19 09:58:01

BTW Itchy skin can be associated with Vitamin D deficiency. My own symptoms, which were/are seriously threatening my quality of life, are bone and muscle pains in my legs and lower back.

growstuff Sun 29-Sep-19 09:51:09

If you're diagnosed via a blood test with a Vitamin D deficiency, the GP will prescribe a very high loading dose. I've just had this done.

I have to take a high dose for six weeks with a blood test for calcium after four weeks. I've been prescribed a lower maintenance dose to take after six weeks, but I'm expecting that to stop when my level has stabilised.

The trust's policy is not to prescribe Vitamin D supplements, unless a deficiency has been officially diagnosed or a patient is in a high risk group.

LondonGranny Sat 28-Sep-19 22:20:12

Worried about DH today. He's on some new medication (not sleeping pills) for really bad insomnia caused by abnormal electrical activity in the brain. It's given him really intensely itchy weeping patches on his skin (the consultant knows about it). The consultant reckons it's Vitamin D deficiency, not a drug reaction although he hasn't had a blood test yet to confirm this.

He got really upset about it today, not helped by his lack of sleep but he can't just stop taking the medication as that's really dangerous and he could have seizures if he did.

At first his sleep was really transformed and he slept better than he has for his whole life until the dosage was changed. Now his says his quality of life is far worse. It's the intense itching that's stopping him sleeping.

Has anyone else had severe eczema type symptoms because of a lack of vitamin D? I'm not medically trained beyond a first aid certificate but I'm sceptical especially as it is listed as a side effect and correlates exactly with the increased dosage. I know correlation is not the same as causation. I just can't bear to see him so miserable.

BradfordLass72 Fri 20-Sep-19 11:17:07

I think your GP might be wrong Marydoll

grin

easyvitaminsuk Thu 19-Sep-19 14:34:12

Jalima1108 Wed 09-May-18 13:00:58

Interesting MagicBubble

I had noticed that my shins had been hurting when I touched them lately - and I had upped my Vitamin D intake.

MagicBubble Wed 09-May-18 07:16:45

Some people think that the ranges for Vitamin D suggested by the Department of Health are too low

You may have to take a larger amount

Here is an interesting commentary about:
How Much Vitamin D Do I Need ?

It includes a self-test, where you press some bones to see if it hurts