Gransnet forums

Health

ROSACEA

(3 Posts)
LynneB59 Thu 31-May-18 16:35:37

Having had Rosacea for 30 years (I'm 59), I think I can safely say I know a bit about it. On the Style & Beauty tips on here, one of the recommendations is to reduce the amount of make-up worn. WRONG. My dermatologist told me years ago to actually keep using make-up, with sunblock in it (SPF 50) to PROTECT the facial skin from the sun, which is one of the worst things for Rosacea.

I have found, through trial and error over the years, all the triggers for my Rosacea, and know what treatments worked (I haven't needed any treatment at all now for 10 years or more), and NOT ONE of the very many antibiotic tablets/gels/creams ever worked. Roaccutane, on prescription from a dermatologist only, was the only treatment that helped.

I used to have all the papules and pustules, lumps etc., years ago, severely, but not now. I do have the broken veins, redness, and now the type that affects the eyes. That started a few months ago, which was first incorrectly diagnosed as Conjunctivitis then hay fever. Not ever had the one that affects the nose, thankfully.

tiredoldwoman Thu 31-May-18 18:20:47

I read somewhere that honey applied to the skin was great for rosacea.

Squiffy Fri 01-Jun-18 10:44:02

Going gluten free made a world of difference to me, plus Finacea gel applied when necessary for flare-ups (prescription only). I reacted badly to other topical products, but Finacea has been brilliant.