Gransnet forums

Health

Cochlear Implants

(5 Posts)
Funnygran Fri 01-Jun-18 22:54:35

I was wondering if any of you Gransnetters have any experience of the above. To explain, I have worn private hearing aids for a few years and have also developed tinnitus. Whether it’s because of this or just that my hearing has got worse but on occasions different voices in different environments seem to sound distorted. If it was sound from a radio I would feel I needed to tune it slightly to make the sound clearer and it doesn’t happen all the time. Noisy environments like busy restaurants are difficult. The hearing aid dispenser says it’s my ears and he can’t adjust them any more. GP referred me to the audiology unit and after an awful hearing test (due to tinnitus playing up through stress) I was told I would benefit from an implant. I really feel that I am being pressured by them and also by my family to have it done as the miracle cure. But having read both good and bad reports I am so unsure about what will be a major operation and not reversible. Ultimately it’s my decision and next week I will be meeting a couple of people who have had implants to try and get first hand experiences. I would love to know if any GNers or family members can give me any feedback. I’m having sleepless nights as feeling so stressed about the whole thing!

Teetime Sat 02-Jun-18 09:33:02

I have known patients with implants who say it has transformed their lives for the good. I haven't heard any bad reports from patients.

silverlining48 Sat 02-Jun-18 09:33:53

Look into it, talk to people who have them In, which means strangers too. We spoke to a butcher when we noticed he had one in. As he packed our-meat he told us how great he thought they were. That spurred us on to find out if dh might get one , unfortunately he wasn’t suitable.
Find out as much as you can. Good luck to you.

Motherofmany Sat 02-Jun-18 18:08:20

DS age 20 has had one since he was 8, and as he is blind as well it really has given him a better quality of life. As pp said ask questions, it is not a big operation. DS was out in 24 hours.
Good luck.

Funnygran Mon 04-Jun-18 19:59:58

Thanks for your comments. I have had a good meeting and chat to a few patients today and feel much more positive about it. Still a lot to think about before my next hospital appointment later this month.