Gransnet forums

Health

Thinning skin.

(36 Posts)
gillyknits Sun 10-Jun-18 13:03:35

I know there was a thread on this subject a couple of years ago but I would be interested in any new views. I’m absolutely fed up with tearing flaps in my arms and ankle skin at the drop of a hat. I just need to look at a door handle and then I’m reaching for the bandages.(Can’t use plasters because peeling them off causes massive bruising )
I’ve been to the docs. and had various blood tests but it’s been put down to ‘old age’. I’m only seventy and the thought of years more of this makes me cheesed off.
Yesterday whist gardening I walked into a low branch now I have a large flap on my shin. It was so bad it warranted a hospital visit.
My daughter suggests that I wear waders filled with bubble wrap in the garden and a suit of armour in the house . I said that knowing my luck. I'd get caught in the armour hinges!
I have to laugh about it but It really annoys me. I can’t just sit all day doing nothing in case it happens again.

Belgravian Sun 10-Jun-18 13:22:25

As a child when I did ballet we put surgical spirit on our skin to toughen it!

Sounds horrendous now but wonder if it would help your vulnerable places such as ankles and shins? So check with pharmacist or go first though.

GrandmaMoira Sun 10-Jun-18 13:32:46

I don't have any answers but I am the same. I was much worse when at work as I used to cut myself on filing cabinets and other objects in a cramped office and also on crowded commuter buses and I was still in my 50s when it started.

kittylester Sun 10-Jun-18 13:59:22

My skin isn't thin yet but I do keep getting bleeds under it - not bruising exactly! Is there a cure for that?

Liz46 Sun 10-Jun-18 14:00:51

Does anyone else have a problem with door handles? Mine leap and and attack me if I go near them!

gillyknits Sun 10-Jun-18 14:24:52

I get those broken blood vessels too. Any knock and the skin goes red or purple but they don’t hurt like bruises. Again I was told it’s an ageing problem and nothing they can do.
Good idea to have a blood test, though. Just to make sure.

Fennel Sun 10-Jun-18 17:20:53

gillyknits- I have the same problem. I have some cream which my Dr. prescribed (but I think you can get it without prescription, ) It's lanolin based.
As for dressings, try something like this:
www.urgo.co.uk/374-urgotul-absorb-border
They're specially made not to tear the skin when you remove them.
They're expensive, but yo leave them on for a few days.
I must buy some more.

pollyperkins Sun 10-Jun-18 17:29:34

If I bang the back of my hand on anything I get a big red mark (like blood under the skin). Its horrible but fades in a few days.

annodomini Sun 10-Jun-18 18:19:22

When I had to take steroids, my skin became thinner and I got that red bruising which is known as purpura. When I reduced the dosage of steroids, this symptom began to disappear and as I've been off the medication for a year, I no longer have the purpura. However, the skin still feels very thin and dry. Doublebase gel was recommended and I still use it as a moisuriser on arms and legs... when I remember!

grannyqueenie Sun 10-Jun-18 18:32:44

Liz46, my door handles are very well behaved....the end of the bed less so, it gets me most days!

Panache Sun 10-Jun-18 18:37:44

I readily feel and offer my sympathy to you all.

For the past few years my skin has reached the point it is so paper thin its like tissue paper of the finest grade.
I have bruise like/bleeding marks if you so as much look at me these days.In fact coming home from an operation about 10 days ago I looked as if I had been in the ring with Tysen..............and lost.
Those marks were so deep they are bad today as they were then...........everything from simply wearing a bangle on one arm brings them out and they are now not totally clearing so my arms and legs are in a sorry state.
I have moisturised using 45 cream for several years to no real improvement.
Nurses trying to fit me with those white stockings prior to visiting theatre have caused untold damage to my legs.
Just as well I wear trousers and its that much worse this year I cannot even wear "capri" length.

The price we pay for aging eh??

I wonder what comes next..............on the other hand perhaps best not knowing!!!

Cherrytree59 Sun 10-Jun-18 18:53:18

I second Double Base gel.
For the last 18 months I have been applying Zero cream on my arms legs and back of hands.
It has made a consideraable difference to my skin.
It holds in moisture so no more dry flakey skin.
Imho dry skin is more susceptible to damage when it is knocked or scrapped.

NanaandGrampy Sun 10-Jun-18 18:57:14

I used to have this problem with calf of one leg. I didn’t find anything to help stop it but I used Manuka honey on surgical pads held in place by crepe bandage . It healed the weeping tears about 75% quicker than anything else I tried .

Cherrytree59 Sun 10-Jun-18 19:06:00

Panache I completely understand when the body has been through the mill, it can have dire affect on the skin
flowers

The skin on my Mil legs is in dreadful state
Due to refusing to go bed, she sleeps in the chair (dementia)

stella1949 Mon 11-Jun-18 00:26:43

There really isn't anything that will stop this. Thinning skin really is part of getting older and there is no magic cure for it. Moisturising it every night helps to keep it in good condition, but that's about it.

I'd recommend doing a "walk around" in the house and garden and taking note of anything which is likely to catch at your skin and tear it. Then either remove the offending thing, or make a decision to wear protective clothing - even in summer, a long-sleeved blouse can help to stop the skin tears which plague you. Good luck !

gillyknits Mon 11-Jun-18 10:04:54

Trouble is stella1949 that my skin tears through my clothes! Saturdays leg tear was through my trousers. I was interested in some Kevlar sleeves and socks that I saw advertised. They are expensive and probably a bit warm to wear all the time.
I do try to be careful but sometimes I’m sure that things jump out and get me!?

PamelaJ1 Mon 11-Jun-18 13:08:39

I know that this won’t help you but I am interested to know if you have either done a lot of sunbathing or used steroid creams on your skin.

gillyknits Mon 11-Jun-18 14:35:03

No , not much sunbathing and always use sun cream. The only steroids are in an inhaler that I need to use. I read an article that inhaled steroids could cause thinning skin but my doctor says not.
I think my skin is older than me! That’s the only answer.?

Willow500 Mon 11-Jun-18 18:48:05

I bruise very easily now - the slightest knock (or sometimes not even noticed that) and a bruise comes out. I blame the blood thinners. My FIL suffered terribly with it and his arms were often black and blue. Seems to be an age thing I suppose.

Allygran1 Tue 12-Jun-18 00:59:55

Has anyone else had this side effects of statins. When I was taking statins my finger tip and upper inside fingers, bruised, well it looks like purple bruising and it burned then went blue blood vessel type bruising. It went within a few hours. I also suffered nose bleeds. All stopped when I came off statins.

The other thing of course is thinning skin, and hair. Whilst on the statins my nails needed a lot of attention, they split and broke so easily, but it's difficult to know if it was the statins or just age. I have also been told thinning skin, hair and nails can be something to do with the thyroid, although mine was OK when tested.

The most scary thing is that the statins I took was Pravastatin and it cause short term memory loss and what I call fuzzy head, which is really concentration problems. I came off the statins and have a large bowl of porridge every morning and a small bowl before I go to bed instead. Every thing went back to normal within about four weeks, and my blood sugar stabilised as well. The cholesterol went below 5 and has stayed there. Did this about ten years ago. Still take the porridge.

I am not suggesting anyone on statins should stop taking them. But it might be something to consider. Obviously check with your GP first though.

Happysexagenarian Thu 14-Jun-18 16:53:29

My husband (aged 76) suffers with tissue-thin skin, mostly on his hands, arms and shins. He is permanently covered in dark red patches and sticking plasters! He does a lot of gardening and woodwork and only has to look at a sharp edge or rough surface to break out in yet another 'wound'. I am seriously thinking of getting him a pair of chefs chainmail gloves! He did once take statins but has been off them for 5 years now due to the painful side effects. The GP has said it is just another condition of 'old age'.

travelsafar Sat 16-Jun-18 08:02:31

I am currently displaying two of these horrible purple brusies, one on each lower arm. I spoke to out practice nurse about them and she said it is just an age thing and to be really careful when doing housework, gardening etc.

oldbutchirpy Wed 08-Aug-18 20:37:19

I loved your quip that the skin must be older than you - I reckon mine is the same!
I was searching for some help onthinskin/bruising/bleeding and found the gransnet forum. It’s good to know that I am not alone but where I really could do with some advice is on the topic of plasters when bleeding occurs generally or from one of the many bruises after it has been knocked again. I am still searching for a plaster which will not remove adjoining peel off skin when the plaster has managed to stem the bleeding which is no doubt worsened by my taking warfarin. Any advice anyone?

Fennel Wed 08-Aug-18 20:55:30

old but chirpy try something like this:
int.elastoplast.net/advisor/health-and-protection/moist-wound-healing
Not sure of the cost, but some brands are very expensive. So maybe yoou can get your GP to prescribe them.
I've been using similar for years. Can't remember the name now.

Iam64 Wed 08-Aug-18 21:56:05

allygran, I had exactly the same side effects as you when taking statins. I can't say my memory is as it was 30 years ago but it certainly feels much sharper than it did 3 months ago since I stopped taking the things.

Liz46 - my door handles are fairly well behaved. It's the raised beds surrounded by railway sleepers that are attacking me. sit down and do a bit of weeding, they call out. I dutifully sit on the sleeper and it throws me off. Yesterday I fell backwards, landing on a garden ornament. serves me right for having kitch in the garden.