Gransnet forums

Health

Fatigued legs

(20 Posts)
nannycake Fri 15-Jun-18 22:55:17

I am a fairly fit and healthy 70 year old who walks for approx an hour a day with my dog but increasingly by 2 or 3 o'clock I get severely tired legs if I am out I have to rush home because I feel I an going to collapse. If I am at home I put my legs up and often sleep for the afternoon. This is beginning to worry me because walking the dog is getting to be difficult even though I walk him in the mornings. Does anyone else have this problem? I have mild arthritis in my hip and knee and have neuropathy in the front part of my feet. I don't think any of this is severe enough to cause the aching and fatigue I suffer but would appreciate comments from others.

NanaNancy Fri 29-Jun-18 07:05:09

If they are that severely bothersome then a trip to the Dr. is indicated.
You do not want to wait and have a collapse and unable to get home.
I do wear support stockings if travelling or know that I will be on my feet and extended time but your symptoms sound pretty severe.
There may be more going on than comes to mind.

Teetime Fri 29-Jun-18 09:15:54

I agree get yourself checked but mean time support stockings, legs up, ankle exercsies all the usual. Benefit used to have a thing called Giggle Gel it was a gel for tired legs which made them feel all fresh and tingly not sure if they still do it but it was lovely I think the menthol in it gave you the refreshed feeling. Spas and beauty parlours do various massage treatments for tired legs - once your GP has established there is no underlying cause.

NfkDumpling Fri 29-Jun-18 10:06:00

I’ve had problems with achy legs and sore feet for several years. Apparently I’m quite healthy - but just a tad(!) overweight. I think this may be the problem!

tanith Fri 29-Jun-18 11:21:52

Get checked for anemia also, my OH was having a similar problem but turned out he was severely anemic.

Welshwife Fri 29-Jun-18 13:04:30

Something I was going to suggest too Tanith. I have just been diagnosed with anaemia - which has developed since my August blood test. I am having a scan next week to see if anything shows up but I feel dreadful and find it difficult to eat much.

Fennel Fri 29-Jun-18 13:20:34

Hope they find out what's wrong Welshwife, and you're feeling better soon.
I had anemia last year for some reason and took an iron supplement for a few months. Tardyferon 80mg. After which it was ok, TG.

Welshwife Fri 29-Jun-18 13:56:08

I am on an iron capsule for three months and I am also vit D deficient so have four phials of that over the next three months. I am finding I am better snacking than a full meal and have needed to go back to eating in the evening.

tanith Fri 29-Jun-18 14:47:56

OH ended up having 3 units of blood in casualty it was that bad but there was an undiagnosed illness unfortunately, the doctor said he had no idea how was still standing. I wanted to hit OH into next week for keeping quiet for so long.

NfkDumpling Fri 29-Jun-18 16:07:33

Oh dear, reading all that perhaps I’d better get checked for anemia. I used to suffer from it a lot when I was younger, perhaps it’s still lurking!

dogsmother Fri 29-Jun-18 16:10:50

I agree, if they are feeling so tired that you need to rest up something is amiss! Go get checked out.

PamelaJ1 Fri 29-Jun-18 17:50:00

I’ve just been reading about the symptoms of potassium deficiency . Are you eating enough bananas?
There are so many things one can be lacking but I suppose there’s a limit to what the GP can test for. Financially I mean.

nannycake Fri 29-Jun-18 22:39:47

Thank you everyone for your helpful comments. I have been resting in the afternoons and stretching my calve muscles and it is helping a little. I think a trip to the GP is whats needed.

Menopaws Sat 30-Jun-18 01:48:43

What do you eat for lunch if it's always happening early afternoon? Bread can make you feel weak and tired if allergic to it, just a thought. I know I was always searching to sit down and wanted to close my eyes if ate a doughy lunch

nannycake Mon 02-Jul-18 08:33:22

I have just reduced my bread and carb intake and I must say my energy levels have improved. Time will tell if it affects my tired legs.

lemongrove Mon 02-Jul-18 09:35:12

Me too Meno in fact, in my working days I could hardly stay awake after lunch If I had a sandwich!
OP, could it be you are walking too much? How about two short walks a day with the dog?

Menopaws Mon 02-Jul-18 22:19:50

Brilliant Nannycake, seriously keep it up, it might take a bit longer with the legs but even a little more energy is going to make you feel uplifted.

poliq Wed 15-Aug-18 08:29:16

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MawBroon Wed 15-Aug-18 09:15:04

Reported.
Poliq seems to think this can cure everything from night cramps and tired legs to carpal tunnel syndrome hmm
Spam, methinks.

Sparklefizz Wed 15-Aug-18 09:26:07

nannycake I had very painful and heavy legs every evening no matter what I had been doing during the day. I have M.E. and several other illnesses plus arthritis so the issue was confused to say the least. I tried inverting my legs up against the wall (cheaper than buying an inversion table although I know they are used in physio clinics), and that helped but didn't stop the problem from starting in the first place. I take a number of vitamin supplements, but googled the problem and decided it wouldn't hurt to increase my intake of Magnesium which kept cropping up in the research I did. And Hallelujah! Legs suddenly fine!
smile