Gransnet forums

Health

"everyone aged 25-64 with a cervix"

(108 Posts)
FarNorth Sun 17-Jun-18 17:21:33

Cancer Research UK has aimed its latest smear test campaign at “everyone aged 25-64 with a cervix”.

I am horrified and have emailed them to say that they risk failing to reach many women by not catching their eye with the word "women" in their advertising.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/smear-test-campaign-drops-the-word-woman-to-avoid-transgender-offence-263mj7f6s?shareToken=11fe655f68bc12c06ae27ebabfa6d198

etheltbags1 Tue 26-Jun-18 21:37:52

Life gets more complicated by the dayconfused

FarNorth Tue 26-Jun-18 10:25:02

Presumably they do know where to stick the tampons, but not what the relevant bits are called.
Hence my doubts that CRUK's 'cervix' advert will reach a wide audience.

NfkDumpling Tue 26-Jun-18 07:55:34

Really?! That’s incredible! Surely that’s one of the lessons in school that everyone pays attention in! And how do they manage tampons if they don’t know where to stick them?

SueDonim Mon 25-Jun-18 22:03:28

Wow, that's shocking. sad

FarNorth Mon 25-Jun-18 19:30:35

re is an extract from the article:

"Almost half of women in Britain do not know the basic anatomy of their vaginas, according to new research.

Of 1,000 women surveyed, only half could locate the vagina on medical diagrams of the female reproductive organs, and less than a third could correctly label six different parts.

One in seven women were unable to name a single one of the five gynaecological cancers, which are ovarian, womb, cervical, vaginal and vulval, despite 21,000 new cases being diagnosed in the UK each year, according to gynaecological cancer charity the Eve Appeal."

SueDonim Mon 25-Jun-18 11:12:05

I can't actually see the article but that's proving a point, isn't it?

FarNorth Mon 25-Jun-18 01:00:02

British women know very little about their female anatomy, according to this survey by a cancer charity.

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/vagina-study-nearly-half-of-british-women-cannot-identify-vulva-cervix-a7219656.html

FarNorth Sun 24-Jun-18 11:01:48

OldMeg, you don't 'get' why people feel threatened.

I don't know if Maria MacLachlan is a friend or relative of yours. If not, you may not be interested to read this interview with her.

It details a physical attack on her by a trans activist, subsequent online distortion of the event and personal abuse to her, and the much-publicised trial in which the judge did not award her compensation because she showed 'bad grace' by forgetting to refer to the defendant as 'she'.

www.feministcurrent.com/2018/06/21/interview-maria-maclauchlan-gra-aftermath-assault-speakers-corner/

minesaprosecco Sun 24-Jun-18 07:22:22

oldmeg, some of us are concerned about the danger posed to all women, not just to ourselves or our families, and that is why we are protesting. I agree that anyone can be what they want to be as long as they pose no danger - but I don't limit who I think is threatened by that danger to people who are close to me. The girls in Connecticut who have been beaten in athletics races by boys who self ID as girls, the female martial arts competitors facing Fallon Fox's extra bone density and musculature, the vulnerable women in prisons (Ian Huntley wants to be seen as a woman and might therefore be placed in a women's prison - and he's by no means not the only man in prison doing this) - these women need protection too.

OldMeg Sun 24-Jun-18 06:25:06

That’s why I added ‘IMO’ ME - a clear indication that others see things differently.

What I don’t ‘get’ is why people seem so threatened by a small minority of people with gender issues, none of whom I have ever met. In fact I feel extremely sorry for those I’ve seem on TV, especially big ‘men’ who’ve morphed into ‘women’.

People are , again IMO, allowed to be what they want to be unless they present a danger to me or mine.

FarNorth Sat 23-Jun-18 21:46:27

There are further clues in the advert, NfkDumpling, although the suggestion of 'cracking it' might be a little eye-watering for some owners of prostates.

Possibly Prostate Cymru are reeling after receiving many many emails making that very point, SueDonim.

NfkDumpling Sat 23-Jun-18 06:17:56

Clever! “Look after your Third Nut” would need more clues thought wouldn’t it.

SueDonim Sat 23-Jun-18 01:18:28

Butbutbut, Farnorth, nowadays some women have prostates, too! confused

FarNorth Fri 22-Jun-18 23:47:12

Here's how Prostate Cymru are advertising.

FarNorth Fri 22-Jun-18 22:42:41

'I’m comfortable in my skin and don’t need to be labelled a woman. I’m me.'

Me too, NfkDumpling, and I know what a cervix is and whether I have one.
Not everyone does know those things.

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Jun-18 18:15:40

But don’t you think it could have said ‘women and transmen with cervixes’ ( as CRUK actually have on their website) ? It is fundamentally a female health issue and should be badged as such surely? Just as any prostate cancer issue should say men and transwomen with prostates?

NfkDumpling Fri 22-Jun-18 17:27:09

I suppose I’m coming at it from the equality point of view, that it shouldn’t matter whether an ad is aimed at women, men, trans-whatever’s, gays, lesbians or any other of the many genders there seem to be now. This advert is aimed at people with cervix’s.

Yes, I agree the minority genders are getting far more attention than they warrant so to re-word something just for their benefit is rather over the top. But does leaving out the word woman upset me? No. I’m comfortable in my skin and don’t need to be labelled a woman. I’m me.

FarNorth Fri 22-Jun-18 14:41:41

From OldMeg - 'Yes, erasing women is fine'.

Do you mean erasing the word 'women' from the adverts, or erasing the category of women altogether?

FarNorth Fri 22-Jun-18 14:34:03

NfkDumpling said 'Would there be a problem if a similar campaign was aimed at “Anyone with a Prostate”?'

Yes, there would. Why do you suppose there doesn't seem to be one?

OldMeg said 'Do we always have to target extremes?'

The CRUK has said it's reason for using that wording was to include transmen. Transmen are a tiny minority of women, who are probably well aware of having a female (i.e. woman's) anatomy. Why you think we need to target them in this way?

NfkDumpling also said 'I rather think [....] any woman with low reading skills wouldn’t read it anyway, even if it said Woman with a Cervix. Would they be able to read Cervix?'

It wouldn't need to say "Women with a cervix", the word "Women" would do, as it always has in the past.

As NfkDumpling so nicely put it, women with low reading skills, or a poor command of English, may not understand or pay attention to the word "cervix". However they may well spot the word "women".

Fennel Fri 22-Jun-18 12:04:58

I agree with you, maryeliza.
How can a 'feeling' nix facts?

goldengirl Fri 22-Jun-18 11:17:50

There are many women about - and men too - who don't know what a 'cervix' is anyway!

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Jun-18 08:45:58

Rather than just disagreeing with me, why can you not actually put forward a critique of why I am wrong? Of why not acknowledging the reality of the importance and relevance of biological sex will not and does not impact negatively on women? Perhaps you could explain why every other movement I can think of was based on giving and/ or extending rights to others (or trying to) based on for example race, sexual orientation, disability, sex but the transgender movement wants to take rights away from from biological women. If bullshit is your response or agreeing that it’s bullshit, then quite frankly you have no arguement at all.

Iam64 Fri 22-Jun-18 08:30:24

What minesaprosecco said and, what maryeliza said in her most recent post (22.6.18 at 7.24am)

NfkDumpling Fri 22-Jun-18 08:10:43

Ditto OldMeg

minesaprosecco Fri 22-Jun-18 08:00:49

You're entitled to your opinion oldmeg , but it's not bullshit, it's reality.