Gransnet forums

Health

"everyone aged 25-64 with a cervix"

(107 Posts)
FarNorth Sun 17-Jun-18 17:21:33

Cancer Research UK has aimed its latest smear test campaign at “everyone aged 25-64 with a cervix”.

I am horrified and have emailed them to say that they risk failing to reach many women by not catching their eye with the word "women" in their advertising.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/smear-test-campaign-drops-the-word-woman-to-avoid-transgender-offence-263mj7f6s?shareToken=11fe655f68bc12c06ae27ebabfa6d198

FarNorth Sun 17-Jun-18 17:22:51

Here is the full text of the Times article about this :

Cancer Research UK has been criticised for dropping the word “woman” from its latest public health campaign against cervical cancer in an effort to be more inclusive of transgender people.

Cervical screening rates have fallen to a 20-year low in England. Every year more than 3,200 women are diagnosed with cervical cancer and 890 die.

However, the charity’s latest message for cervical screening awareness week has prompted dismay after it encouraged “everyone aged 25-64 with a cervix” to go for their smear test, with no mention of women at all.

A pinned tweet promoting the campaign said: “Cervical screening (or the smear test) is relevant for everyone aged 25-64 with a cervix. Watch our animation to find out what to expect when you go for screening.”

The charity confirmed to The Times that the words had been chosen deliberately so as not to exclude those who are biologically female but identify as men.

Critics said that they did so at the expense of alienating greater numbers of women who may already be reluctant to have the potentially life-saving test.

Fiona Osgun from Cancer Research UK said: “Cervical cancer develops in anyone who has a cervix. This includes women as well as people with other gender identities such as trans men. But screening might not be relevant for all women such as those who have had a full hysterectomy. We phrased our information on cervical screening awareness week to reflect this.”

Critics accused the charity of putting identity politics before public health. Some asked why no such language appeared to be used when discussing cancers that affect only men. On its website, Cancer Research UK explains that “only men have a prostate gland so only men get prostate cancer”. Paula Sherriff, Labour chairwoman of the all-party parliamentary group on women’s health, said: “I think the word woman should be explicitly stated, particularly as not everyone will be familiar with the word cervix.

“While we need to be conscious that [trans men] may well be eligible too, I think the message is diluted by not using the word ‘woman’ or ‘women’.”

Anne Spiller, a practice nurse at a GP surgery in northwest England, said she was infuriated by the message. “The problem is a lot of women do not even know about their cervix. They may think that they do not have one reading that and not bother!” she said.

“All women understand that every woman between 25 and 65 needs a smear. Put ‘those who possess a cervix’ in the mix and you have lost it.”

Karen Ingala Smith, founder of a charity supporting women subjected to sexual and domestic violence, said the reluctance to address women put lives at risk. “Uptake of cervical screening [smear tests] is at a 20-year low,” she said. “You’ve got to wonder who’s the brains behind the decision to drop the word woman and replace it with ‘everyone with a cervix’. Seriously misguided erasure of women with potentially fatal outcomes.”

Another critic tweeted: “You rely heavily on donations. Please don’t erase the word ‘women’ when talking about cervix examinations. I don’t think you’ve skipped the use of ‘men’ when dealing with prostate cancer.”

Research by Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust showed that five million women are invited to screening each year in the UK yet one in four does not attend. A spokeswoman for the charity said that it too used the phrase “anyone with a cervix” to remind trans men they are also at risk. “But we use ‘women and anyone with a cervix’ in our messaging, so as not to isolate any groups.”

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/smear-test-campaign-drops-the-word-woman-to-avoid-transgender-offence-263mj7f6s?shareToken=11fe655f68bc12c06ae27ebabfa6d198

notanan2 Sun 17-Jun-18 17:28:30

erasing women in order to include transpeople is not acceptable.

Women with a low level of understanding of biology, learning disabilities or English as a second language won't necessarily identify as a "cervixed being" but would identify as a woman...

.....but screw them and their health/lives so long as transactivists aren't offended by the word woman being used in relation to biology.

They literally don't care that women DIE from not getting this message loud and clear.

Luckygirl Sun 17-Jun-18 17:34:34

I think I will just go for a lie down.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 17-Jun-18 17:35:41

Flipping ridiculous!!!!

I have no problem with trans people, but have no knowledge as to whether their constructed vagina/cervix can get cancer.

notanan2 Sun 17-Jun-18 17:39:17

Granny I think it's aimed at transmen not transwomen

but transmen know they have women's anatomy if they haven't had it removed so would adequately get the message if it said women.

But this way women could DIE from not getting the message just so that they sound cool to the activists....

....this always targets women....we're the soft target. It never targets mens services.

FarNorth Sun 17-Jun-18 17:39:23

No, it can't GrannyGravy13. Transmen, if they haven't had a hysterectomy, can get cervical cancer.

Most transwomen don't have a constructed vagina/cervix in any case, but retain full male genitals.

maryeliza54 Sun 17-Jun-18 17:44:55

What's wrong with two separate awareness campaigns - one for women and one for transmen? I am just so sick of this erasure of women - I'm going to email them too

notanan2 Sun 17-Jun-18 18:03:55

well if you want to understand the mentality: toilets are being re signed "men" and "non men".

It's an attack on women and all of the progress women have made against misogyny.

maryeliza54 Sun 17-Jun-18 18:08:02

Just been on Twitter - apparently on the CRUK web site they say they target men re prostate cancer as ‘only men have a prostate’. Er?

SueDonim Sun 17-Jun-18 18:08:46

I was shocked by this, too. A friend who works in the field of medical education said that many, many women are extraordinarily ignorant about their own bodies and have no idea they have a cervix.

As someone else points out, too, what about women for whom English is not their first language? Many will likely recognise the word 'woman' but not the word cervix.

It's a good plan if Cancer Research want to reduce the proportion of women presenting for screening even further. hmm

I am just infuriated that I am being reduced to a 'person with a cervix'. How dare they? angry

merlotgran Sun 17-Jun-18 18:09:00

I think I'll join Luckygirl in the darkened room. angry

notanan2 Sun 17-Jun-18 18:11:15

FYI Green Party door steppers also use "men & non men" because it's "inclusive"

It doesn't include me mate!
But what do I matter..

maryeliza54 Sun 17-Jun-18 18:16:47

I really don’t know whether to laugh or cry - we’ve used the words ‘erasure of women’ so often and lo and behold, look what is happening.

Fennel Sun 17-Jun-18 18:17:00

This is going too far.
Can we make a formal protest as Gransnet members to Cancer resarch UK?

annsixty Sun 17-Jun-18 18:36:16

Why not "women and non women" this is sexual inequality and I think I will take someone to court.

maryeliza54 Sun 17-Jun-18 18:44:13

We can all email CRUK.

dbDB77 Sun 17-Jun-18 18:49:13

Remember the song?
"Yes we are wise and it's wisdom born of pain
Yes we've paid the price but look how much we've gained
If I have to I can do anything
I am strong
I am invincible
I am woman" ..... oops sorry I mean non-man!?

Wheniwasyourage Sun 17-Jun-18 18:53:42

Hang on a minute - I have just been on to the Cancer Research Uk site and looked at the Screening link (sorry, I've never managed to work out how to put a link on here, but it's easy enough to find) and it says that women of the relevant age range are eligible for smear tests, and also anyone else with a cervix, eg trans men, so they have presumably changed it and there is no need to email. We are apparently now women and not just people with a cervix.

FarNorth Sun 17-Jun-18 18:58:14

Anyone who does not agree with Cancer Research UK's choice of wording, please do email them to say so.
They are at - [email protected]

FarNorth Sun 17-Jun-18 19:01:51

X-post Wheniwasyourage.

It seems this phrase was used on Twitter and was a "pinned tweet promoting the campaign", according to the Times article.

LiltingLyrics Sun 17-Jun-18 19:07:00

That one in four do not accept an invitation for a smear test is going to have little to do with LBGTQ issues. And isn’t it rather insulting to women who identify as men to assume that they are ignorant about the construction of their body? I suspect that they are only too acutely aware that they DO have a woman’s body.

annsixty Sun 17-Jun-18 19:07:07

I have e-mailed Cruk and await their reply with interest, but not with baited breath.

TerriBull Sun 17-Jun-18 19:11:34

Yes I read about it in The Times, so now we are supposed to define ourselves as people with a cervix angry. It's like we're entering some strange "Alice in Wonderland" world, as the Cheshire Cat was heard to say "Everyone's mad here"

minesaprosecco Sun 17-Jun-18 19:21:13

Me too. Now there's an ironic phrase.