Gransnet forums

Health

Smelling Salts

(21 Posts)
fourormore Mon 25-Jun-18 15:49:50

I suffer from occasional vasel vagel episodes (posh word for fainting!) so I always carry a bottle of smelling salts with me. Fortunately I need them very rarely.
I have just checked my current bottles and the only one that has any woomph in it at all has an expiry date of Aug 2014!
I have tried every pharmacy, health shops and even sports shops locally today and cannot get them anywhere.
Does anyone know if they are still available anywhere - I have looked on line but all I seem to find are adrenalin rushes for athletes!
They used to be made by a company called Mackenzies - and came in a small brown bottle.
If any one knows where I can buy any please let me know!
Also if any one knows of an alternative if the old ones are discontinued?
Many thanks!

henetha Mon 25-Jun-18 16:45:56

I remember these quite well, fourormore. My mother always carried them in her handbag. They are certainly very effective when feeling a bit faint or dizzy.
I looked on Amazon and could not find any. But there are some on eBay. Not Mackenzies though, but alternatives.
I don't know if they would be as good.
I do hope you find them, or something to suit. Sometimes the old remedies are best, aren't they.

allsortsofbags Mon 25-Jun-18 17:18:59

Don't know if it helps but years ago when my mum couldn't find any she put some cottonwool in a small bottle and added ammonia.

I remember because I was given the job of pushing the cottonwool into the bottle and adding the ammonia because I had small fingers grin

Hope you find some.

rubysong Mon 25-Jun-18 18:06:18

I hope you are able to find some. I have the small brown bottle which I must have had for over forty years. It is still pungent but has lost its label. I wouldn't be without it for mild headaches and stuffy noses.

fourormore Mon 25-Jun-18 20:13:16

Thanks folks - I have looked at the Ebay ones and also some I have found on other sites but they look a bit strong and more for athletes etc. for performance improvement?
Luckily I have the 2014 bottle for the time being but if anyone sees them anywhere I would love to hear from you and if I find them in the meantime I will let you know!!!
I may even resort to allsortsofbags' method if all else fails!
Can't believe that something so useful could be discontinued smile

Highlight3561 Fri 14-Sep-18 23:25:10

Hi

I have managed to locate the company who now manufactures Mackenzie smelling salts. When I rang to ask them when they would be available I was originally told this month but apparently they should be available the middle of next month. I hope that this will be the case.

Kerrylou Sun 23-Sep-18 08:16:22

Good morning highlight3561,
Could you let me know the name of the company please ?
Best wishes

grannyqueenie Sun 23-Sep-18 12:50:51

I’m interested to read this, I’ve used Mackenzie’s ones for sinus type congestion in the past but when I tried to replace them last year couldn’t find them anywhere. I hope they do reappear, decongestant medication doesn’t agree with me but the smelling salts do the job brilliantly, with no unpleasant side effects.

Squiffy Sun 23-Sep-18 13:13:28

I've just found this on Amazon, which is the milder version specifically for catarrh/sinus problems:

Old Time Smelling Salts (MacKenzie's version)

annodomini Sun 23-Sep-18 13:44:28

When I was a teenager, I had a 'turn' just outside the chemist's shop. My mum towed me inside and sal volatile (same thing as smelling salts) was administered to clear my muzzy head. That's the only experience I have ever had of this product, but it certainly worked, though my mum took me home in a taxi, 'just in case'...

Snapcase Wed 10-Oct-18 15:15:52

I've had a similar problem looking for smelling salts. The closest to MacKenzie's that I've found so far is in the "Human" section of Hyperdrug.

I don't know if it's quite as potent or how long it lasts yet, but it is pretty similar. I hope this helps.

www.hyperdrug.co.uk/1904-Extra-Strong-Smelling-Salts-35g/productinfo/SMELLING/

fourormore Wed 10-Oct-18 16:12:53

I was the original poster on this thread and to be honest I had given up finding them back in June so I was delighted to see today's post from Snapcase!
I don't know where I was in September so apologies to Highlight Kerrylou GrannyQueenie Squiffy and Annodomini - I missed your contributions! Must have taken the thread off my 'watching' list!
I will investigate them without delay as I can't expect my bottle that expired in 2014 to last forever haha grin
Many thanks to you all flowers

Ilovecheese Wed 10-Oct-18 17:02:26

You could try just using ammonia.

Highlight3561 Wed 10-Oct-18 20:04:55

Hi
Not sure of the company name now but the telephone number :

0800 590 502

Highlight3561 Wed 10-Oct-18 20:09:52

I’ll keep you all posted should I find they in any store. I rang them this week and they are now saying the end of the month. Here’s hoping!

Highlight3561 Wed 10-Oct-18 20:14:23

Just found the company is Teva Uk

fourormore Thu 11-Oct-18 09:57:23

Highlight I looked at the Teva UK website last night and there was no trace of smelling salts of any type so I don't know if they were fobbing you off or whether they really will be getting them back in?
I rang Hyperdrug that Snapcase had found and have ordered 2 bottles of their 1904 Extra Strong Smelling Salts - they cost me just over £16 including P&P so worth going for if all else fails?
I don't fancy making my own potion with ammonia - knowing me I would knock out the whole neighbourhood grin

Michaelpwood Thu 06-Dec-18 11:41:01

Hi everyone. I too have been excited to see that Teva was involved in the production of smelling salts. I wrote to the and they are about to start production of our 'beloved' Mackenzies next year !! See their response ....

Good morning
Thank you for your email regarding smelling salts.
Teva UK has acquired a product named Mackenzies Smelling Salts, which are an ammonia based product.
This a new product to Teva UK and is not one that we have manufactured ourselves before. The production process is nearing completion and we expect the smelling salts to be available for sale again around February 2019.

I do hope that this helps
smile

With Kind regards

Customer Solutions Team

Gonegirl Thu 06-Dec-18 11:51:58

I remember (can never forget) taking a huge sniff of my aunt's smelling salts when I was a child. I thought I would never breathe normally again.

Was there more fainting going on years ago?

Elliepops Thu 06-Dec-18 12:08:49

Thanks for posting a lifesaver. Keep up the good work ,I am suffering a cold ATM and could use some NOW.

Highlight3561 Thu 06-Jun-19 19:20:28

Mackenzie smelling salts are now available from 1 june. I managed to get three bottles from amazon .