Gransnet forums

Health

itchy eyes

(13 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 06-Jul-18 08:24:27

Is anyone else having this issue this summer. I have never had hay fever and not sure if this is what i have at the moment or not, my eyes are so itchy i cant leave them alone, plus during the evenings my nose is 'blocked' and i am sneezing. I know the pollen count is supposedly high at the moment but I cant understand why this year it is affecting me. Any suggestions for the best eye drops to get rid of the itch!!!!

DammitJanet Fri 06-Jul-18 08:35:18

It's hayfever smile.

Antihistamines and try not to rub your eyes too much.

Wearing big sunglasses and having nets (shudder) or your curtains closed might help and don't have a fan blowing directly at you.

Teetime Fri 06-Jul-18 09:43:17

Actimist eye spray or Boots own (Its just a camomile spray) works wonders on itchy eyes I thoroughly recommend it.

annodomini Fri 06-Jul-18 09:54:23

Classic hay fever symptoms travelsafar. This summer the numbers suffering have, I believe, vastly increased. Mine starts in the spring with tree pollens and just seems to go on and on. Anti-histamine eye drops and nasal sprays will help and so would a prolonged period of wet weather but not many of us are looking forward to that!

Bathsheba Fri 06-Jul-18 10:00:27

I never had hay fever until the last few years, and this year it's worse than ever - exactly as you're describing travels. I take anti-histamine, but I'm not convinced it really does any good. Nasal sprays are good for the blocked nose bit. Also, a few years ago I switched from feather pillows and duvets to hypoallergenic ones and this has helped somewhat, certainly with the itchiness I was suffering from.

yggdrasil Fri 06-Jul-18 10:56:16

I use Optrex drops. They work very quickly. I have had itchy eyes this year, hadn't thought of pollen as I have never had problems that way ever before. But I have had 2 cataract ops in the last few years, so thought that might have been the cause.

travelsafar Fri 06-Jul-18 15:00:43

Thanks for replies. I have taken a tablet for hayfever and used Optrex drops for itchy eyes. All are helping at the moment.

natnatroswell22 Tue 10-Jul-18 09:18:04

It's good to know you're already fine travelsafar! Yeah Optrex drops is very recommendable for itchy eyes.

pollyperkins Tue 10-Jul-18 12:18:54

I still swear by Optrex eye wash when at home. Works better for me than the drops. I use Refresh plus drops when out and about as they come in separate sterile sealed phials.

travelsafar Tue 10-Jul-18 18:41:34

I actually think it is the buddlieah tree in my garden that is causing the problem.When i am away from the house and garden they stop itching. It has never bothered me before only this year. Today i have had no problem as the breeze and cooler temperature must be doing something.

Melanieeastanglia Tue 10-Jul-18 21:57:36

I think it might be hay fever. Optrex eye drops are very good, I think.

I know it's easy to say but try not to rub your eyes. This will be hard, I know. They always say not to scratch eczema patches but I am afraid I find it hard not to scratch!

Patsy70 Mon 13-Aug-18 21:04:59

Would the Optrex eye drops still work if you've had cataract surgery?

Richa94 Tue 14-Aug-18 06:02:46

I also suffered from the same problem of itchy eyes, then along with eye drop, oral medication is also prescribed by an ophthalmologist, but here I really want to mention Antihistamine eye drops which help to get rid of itchy eyes.