Gransnet forums

Health

Keeping Cool

(33 Posts)
Alexa Tue 24-Jul-18 10:37:38

Especially if you are looking after an old person or a young child, it's good to know that to cool someone down a tepid sponge method is quick and easy. The thing is not to dry the skin , as the evaporation cools..

Teetime Tue 24-Jul-18 12:06:32

Have you tried the new sports cloths that you immerse in water shake it all about and it goes very cold and you drape it round your neck or other body part- it stays cold for ages. All the golfers seem to have them - I thought everyone was wearing a J cloth. I bought one for DH and he loves it. When he has a migraine his head feels terribly hot so it will be great for that.

Alexa Tue 24-Jul-18 15:27:50

Teetime, it seems like this sports cloth should be prescribed for old people during heat waves and carers advised how to use it.

J52 Tue 24-Jul-18 15:43:23

Apparently holding your wrist under cold running water is very cooling. Must be something to do with cooling the veins.

nuttynana Tue 24-Jul-18 15:43:51

What is it called please and where to buy it ?

humptydumpty Tue 24-Jul-18 15:56:03

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CYP482Z/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?psc=1&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8 - sounded so good I just bought one (£5.99!)

nuttynana Tue 24-Jul-18 17:19:45

Thanks Humpty Dumpty , so have I now !

M0nica Wed 25-Jul-18 07:32:35

Lying in a cool to cold bath for about half an hour will keep you cool for 4 or 5 hours. Excellent last thing at night if the heat makes sleeping difficult.

Teetime Wed 25-Jul-18 08:35:32

The one I bought was the Stay Cool Ice Towel from Amazon.

MawBroon Wed 25-Jul-18 08:42:24

There is always prayer.
From today’s Letters in the DT
Sir
I wonder if any clerical readers can tell me whether the “Prayer for Rain” in the Book of Common Prayer is currently being offered.
As a boy, reading the Prayer Book to while away tedious sermons, I was amused by the enjoinder to “Send us such moderate rain and showers, that we may receive the fruits of the earth” – and its contrast with the “Prayer for Fair Weather” immediately after: “Although we for our iniquities have worthily deserved a plague of rain and water … send us such weather that we may receive the fruits of the earth in due season.”

Whatever, I think churches are a cool place to be!

M0nica Thu 26-Jul-18 07:11:15

Don't forget to keep drinking. I am having a glass of water with every drink I would normally drink from my first coffee to last evening drink. It means I remember to drink more and by doubling my liquid intake I am more than adequately hydrated.

OldMeg Thu 26-Jul-18 07:26:11

For those with dog that feel the heat Chill Out Dog Bandanas are wonderful.

NanKate Thu 26-Jul-18 07:31:23

Thanks Teetime I’m going to buy 3 of these special sports cloths for me, my sister who lives in a very hot Italy and one of my grandsons who has skin problems and this could cool him down.

sodapop Thu 26-Jul-18 08:37:54

OldMeg would you let me know where to get the bandanas from please, I need mail order.

Teetime Thu 26-Jul-18 10:02:31

You're welcome - I haven't got one myself - too cool to look cool!!! Dont fancy walking round the golf course draped in J cloth!!! I put my big umbrella up and drink water for England!!

Fennel Thu 26-Jul-18 10:09:16

Wear lightweight loose clothes.
There's currently a thread on Mumsnet about sweating in intimate places - I wonder if it could be caused by the fashion for tight jeans and leggings?

Anniebach Thu 26-Jul-18 10:09:28

Put on BBC news this morning., my age, my bungalow was built in the sixties, no air conditioning, puts me at risk !

GrandmaMoira Thu 26-Jul-18 10:10:16

Thank you for the link for the cooling towel. I've just bought one.

Squiffy Thu 26-Jul-18 10:36:44

Thank you for the towel link. What a brilliant idea they are! I imagine sales are going through the roof at the moment!

MissAdventure Thu 26-Jul-18 10:42:34

I've just bought one!
Happy days!

NanKate Thu 26-Jul-18 13:06:09

I’ve bought 5 ?

Billybob4491 Thu 26-Jul-18 17:06:00

I soak a tea towel in cold water, wring it out, wrap it around my neck like a scarf, and it immediately cools you down, not very glamorous but very effective.

Soupy Thu 26-Jul-18 17:26:16

DD's rabbit has been having daily ice packs in the hutch and sits there with his little paws on them.
He also has the run of the garden and a wet towel draped over the hutch where his water bottle hangs.

Moi; I might try the ice towel thingy!

wot Fri 27-Jul-18 14:22:31

I've just received my ice towel. Hope to goodness it works!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 27-Jul-18 14:26:16

Waiting for my ice towels to arrive from Amazon. I do not agree with the ethics of this company, but they are extremely efficient.