Gransnet forums

Health

Hair Loss - Statins

(29 Posts)
lancylass Tue 24-Jul-18 11:55:37

Because I have AF my doctor asked me to go on statins. She first prescribed Atorvastatin but I experienced hair loss which was upsetting to me (having always had a good head of hair) and she changed them to Simvastatin - still hair loss. She then put me on a low dosage (20mg) of Pravastatin but I am still experiencing hair loss. Handfuls when shampooing and lots on the bathroom floor when combing or brushing.
I have tried Plantur shampoo which was recommended by a friend and which I have used for about two months now but it is not helping.
I cannot get an appointment with my usual GP until the end of August and that is if I am lucky enough to secure one when I ring on the 30th July ie I rang three times yesterday to get an appointment, the first two times being told they had not released them yet and on the third time of ringing I was told all her appointments had gone. I feel I am being blocked for some reason.
I feel like just stopping the statins myself but am wondering if that is not a good thing to do - ie more harm than good.
The hair loss is really getting me down, has anyone else had any experience with this or can offer any help?

glammanana Tue 24-Jul-18 12:02:36

I take Simvastatin for 2 yrs now and have noticed a sharp decrease in my hair growth but not loss as such,I have very long hair and usually I have to go and have 4/6" cut to tidy it up every 6/9mths but have not had to do this for quite some time.
I mentioned it to my GP and she didn't seem too concerned at all I felt as if I where wasteing her time really.

Eglantine21 Tue 24-Jul-18 12:06:20

Not me, but my sister. I’m afraid it’s one of the side effects, more pronounced in some people than others.

It did seem to stabilise after a year or so. Her hair is not as thick as it used to be but nothing awful. She had it cut very short. It looks tres chic. Think Halle Berry!

Izabella Tue 24-Jul-18 12:12:58

I have been on Simvastatin now for over 10 years, without any apparent hair loss. I also have a couple of friends who have suffered hair loss but are not on statins. I would hesitate to blame the statin and urge you to make an appointment with any of the doctors at your surgery. You are obviously distressed and waiting for 'your' doctor to have a free appointment is only making things worse for you.

I hope you get this resolved.

stella1949 Tue 24-Jul-18 12:23:00

Rosuvastatin doesn't have that side effect - do you really need to see "your" GP ? Any doctor could give you a script for something different I'd try to see someone else if the hair loss is so bothersome to you. Good luck !

lancylass Tue 24-Jul-18 12:39:22

I had already booked to see another doctor but there are so many things going on with me that I prefer to see my regular one but 'beggars cannot be choosers' so I will see a locum (we now only have 2 registered GP's at our surgery).
That is not really the issue - the thing I wanted to know is were others suffering hair loss.
I didn't read the small print, never do, until the hair loss occurred, but then on checking the internet it seems it is a problem but there is more research done in America than here.

Nonnie Tue 24-Jul-18 12:49:41

Have you a local private pharmacy? If so, go and have a chat with the pharmacist, they are very helpful and knowledgeable although the one in Boots didn't seem to know anything when I needed help.

Niobe Tue 24-Jul-18 13:32:47

I had hair loss on Simvastatin too so I stopped taking it. The next one was no better so I refused to take one at all. My GP said to try Rosovustatin as it had suited another patient who also had hair loss on other statins. Much better!

paddyann Tue 24-Jul-18 13:43:05

it was one of the side effects my OH had with statins..though he had others that really interfered with his life.Muscle and joint pain,fatigue, insomnia are just some.We researched statins and decided to take him off them...after speaking to his GP .He has been taking Ubiquinol capsules for over 3 years now and his symptoms have all disappeared AND his hair is back to normal.I t might be worth investigating this to see if it would suit you .GP's are handing out statins like sweeties for the vaguest of reasons.I believe they make vast amounts of money for prescribing them.My OH's cholesterol levels were never particularly high but he had 2 heart attacks...completely stress related ,his cholesterol is checked 3 monthly by his GP and is low and steady on this alternative treatmment .We buy it from Amazon

humptydumpty Tue 24-Jul-18 14:26:47

Does the packaging for the tablets list hair loss among the side-effects, lancylass?

dogsmother Tue 24-Jul-18 14:30:02

I concur with chatting to the pharmacist, they are such an under used resource. Hair loss could be something unrelated too?

lancylass Tue 24-Jul-18 14:34:04

Have had a chat with my pharmacist and she recommended I try Lush - cinnamon soap hair wash but said to get my lipid reading from my last blood test which I intend to do tomorrow - letting the land lie a day so to speak. Thanks!

lancylass Tue 24-Jul-18 14:35:13

From what I read that is much better but expensive. Will mention it to the GP that I see, when I see one LOL. Thanks!

lancylass Tue 24-Jul-18 14:39:49

Thanks! I have no idea why I was prescribed them although I expressed my concern at first about yet another tablet. I am on warfarin so can be a bit difficult to take other things even topically. I always check with my pharmacist first.
Never thought about my insomnia but I did complain about cramp almost every other night - suppose that is muscular and although I have had cramp I have never had it so often.
Glad your husband is better on this new medication. Cheers!

lancylass Tue 24-Jul-18 14:41:03

Yes, it is in the list but i honestly did not read this before the hair loss became apparent.

lancylass Tue 24-Jul-18 14:44:30

I do chat with my pharmacist, in fact she is lovely and so easily approachable. Had a chat about this last night (see note about Lush and the soap)
Funny but I had no hair loss until I started the statins some - oh gosh, must be at least four months ago if not longer. Now it is very noticeable - hands covered in hairs as I wash it, all over the bathroom floor when I comb it, tickling me as it slips down my back etc etc - Honestly never had this before so it all points to statins and each one now I have checked the leaflet mentions it. There is also a lot on the internet but mainly American sites dealing with this.

M0nica Wed 25-Jul-18 11:35:27

Ask your doctor how much statins bringing your cholesterol down will reduce you risk of heart attack/stroke and compare it with the figure if you do not take them.

For some people there will be a big reduction so statins are necessary, but I was recommended and was prepared to take statins - until I discovered that taking them would actually make very little difference to my risk profile, so I turned them down.

It may be that you can manage without them.

lancylass Wed 25-Jul-18 14:24:06

Thanks, that is really helpful. Good idea. Must get this written down. Cheers!

lancylass Wed 25-Jul-18 14:36:59

BTW I have got a doctor's appointment for the 20th August - first one with a locum.

petra Wed 25-Jul-18 19:47:41

I've said it before ( more than once) it's the biggest con that was ever perpetrated by drug companies.
When the head honcho at Southend cardiac unit tells your friend to "keep off them" you know something's very wrong!!!
But I knew this round about 2006 when my Dr wanted to put me on them, my levels at the time were 9.2 ( probably still is)
I read masses of stuff and come to my own conclusions.

Iam64 Wed 25-Jul-18 20:53:32

lancylass - I've pm'd you.

I have AF and my cardiologist advised against statins when my cholesterol was under 6. I was persuaded by my GP` take statins because of other risk factors. I developed muscle weakness, pain, cramp, fatigue and felt generally under par after about 6 months. I stopped taking the statins before seeing my GP - we're another area with a 4 week wait to see our doctor.
Meanwhile, another cardiologist told me not to take statins. He said there is no research to confirm that women in my age group have any protection from heart attack or stroke by taking statins.

lancylass Wed 25-Jul-18 22:50:30

I have AF and have a Pacemaker fitted and the battery is running low so I have an appointment on Tuesday next with the Cardiology department. I had already decided to ask to see one of the consultants - so now, armed with the things you and others have said I will see what they have to say.
Thanks for the input. Cheers!

lancylass Wed 25-Jul-18 22:52:18

As I said to Iam (below) I will be seeing the cardiology department on Tuesday next and will ask to see a consultant and see what they have to say.
Thanks for the information - how do I find out what my levels are and what is "normal"?
Thanks!

M0nica Thu 26-Jul-18 06:52:53

Your doctor will usually have done a blood test so will have the figure on record. The figure doctor's usually want you to get cholesterol down to is 5.0.

However if you have AF and a pacemaker, then do whatever your doctor recommends. I have no medical problems apart from raised cholesterol, so I am in a completely different place to you when making decisions about whether or not to take statins.

Iam64 Thu 26-Jul-18 08:16:47

Best of luck at the Cardiology department lancylass. Let us know what advice you're given re statins