Gransnet forums

Health

aspirin

(11 Posts)
Fennel Sun 29-Jul-18 19:44:55

I had a mild heart attack 12 years ago.Blocked arteries, 2 stents placed. Since then on BP tablets and statins. Plus aspirin, which seems to cause bruise marks on my arms and legs.
I stopped the aspirin and the bruises stopped. But my new Doctor says I should take them.
Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do?

ContraryMary88 Sun 29-Jul-18 19:53:13

DH takes a quarter of a dispersible aspirin a day, as per the Docs instructions, he has a similar health background to you.

No bruises, although for a while I misunderstood the instructions and gave him a whole aspirin a day, he had bruises then.
But all went back to normal when I reduced the amount.

natnatroswell22 Mon 30-Jul-18 03:42:47

Yeah I think Mary is right. Maybe that's what caused the bruises after all. Medications should be taken in small amounts at first.

Fennel Mon 30-Jul-18 08:59:05

I'll try taking half. Thanks to both.

Blinko Mon 30-Jul-18 09:04:43

There's a 75mg mini dose aspirin on the market. Is that any good in these circumstances, I wonder?

Lazigirl Mon 30-Jul-18 09:07:05

I was wondering what dose you were talking about because it's usually the low dose 75mg that is advised as a preventative after heart attack or stroke?

Auntieflo Mon 30-Jul-18 09:07:32

I also had a heart attack, 6 years ago, and was told to take a 75mg dose of dispersable aspirin, every day. I think it thins the blood. Fennel, surely you were given the dosage that you would have needed, after your heart attack! Since being diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, I have been prescribed a new drug, Abixapan(sp) so no longer need aspirin. So maybe, if you are taking other blood thinners, you may no longer need aspirin.

HAZBEEN Mon 30-Jul-18 09:08:06

My docyor perscribed 75mg aspirin after my heart attack. I buy mine from Boots. Its easier than trying to cut the other ones in half!
I bruise easily anyway but have still noticed an increase in them but the doctor said not to worry about it.

Fennel Mon 30-Jul-18 12:54:49

I've looked at mine and they're 75mg. So a small dose - I didn't realise that.
I'll just have to put up with the bruises. I'm very thin and the smallest tap brings up a sort of blood blister.

stella1949 Mon 30-Jul-18 13:29:43

My doctor told me that if aspirin was invented this year, it would be hailed as the greatest "wonder drug" ever. It certainly works very well to prevent further heart problems - do keep taking the small dose. A few bruises are a small price to pay for peace of mind.

natnatroswell22 Wed 08-Aug-18 08:33:12

I thought you were taking a higher dose. Well anyways, it's better to always be careful on what we take.