Gransnet forums

Health

Hospital appointments

(45 Posts)
Auntieflo Wed 01-Aug-18 22:42:04

Recently I had a short stay in the Cardiac unit at our local hospital. This afternoon I received a letter giving me a follow up appointment, so far, so good.
Reading on and towards the bottom of the page are requests/requirements to enable said appointment.
1/. Bring list of current medication. OK
2/. Arrange to have a blood test, 1week prior to your app't
3/. Attend the local X-ray dept, for a chest X-ray, 1week
prior to your app't

According to these guidelines, I should have had these TODAY. How? I am not a mind reader.
I will visit the Dr's surgery tomorrow and see if they will do a blood test. I was there today, and there were no nurses on duty.
How many other letters, with similar requests are sent out to the bewildered patients?
I despair, really I do.

Frannytoo Sun 05-Aug-18 12:23:05

My DH had a finger X-rayed a month ago as it had swollen and was painful. This was done electronically at UCH. He was told that it would take a WEEK to send to the GP'S surgery - why so long? He went to see his GP ten days later - no sign of X-ray or comments. Surely this should be a simple procedure?

Elrel Sun 05-Aug-18 12:50:28

Experiences with GP and two hospitals have convinced me that the NHS is choked by its own admin.
Waste and confusion is caused by all these mess ups. It seems that they just haven’t got good enough systems and well trained staff. Thought and expertise are needed not just throwing ever more money away.
All a patient can do is check everything, query everything. and don’t be too patient.
An elderly HCP told me recently that, sadly, today it’s necessary to be pushy, not to trustingly wait as we have done before.

Auntieflo Sun 05-Aug-18 13:31:18

Elrel, I think you have hit the nail on the head. A friend was talking to a consultant eye Dr. She said that in the past, her department had 30 staff, all dismissed and replaced with 3. How can 3 cope with the amount of work previously dealt with by 30?
Re dealing with the bank directly. I had to return my Secure Key for replacement, and was issued with another, and it all went pear shaped from there on. Good news, it is all tickety boo now smile

annodomini Sun 05-Aug-18 13:59:41

In 2016, the ENT consultant put me on his URGENT list for an op to clear out a blocked sinus. Shortly afterwards, I had appointments for a CT scan and for a pre-op assessment. Then nothing for a good six months when I eventually had the procedure done as a day case, just before Christmas. I asked the consultant what was considered urgent and he blamed the people in the office who make the appointments. Mind you, having seen his handwriting, I have had other ideas about that!

ffinnochio Sun 05-Aug-18 15:21:07

Two cases, to add balance.

1. A call to NHS Direct >>> same day appointment at local hospital >>> appointment within a week to see consultant >>> op. booked >>! pre-op. process >>> operation brought forward >>> clinical follow up >>> future appointments made.

2. A call to book a doctor’s visit >>> a chat >>> same day appointment with Nurse Practitioner and email sent to consultant during visit >>>> a phone call a week later from consultant’s secretary to say they’d had a cancellation >>> a successful visit with minor procedure. Follow up in a couple of months.

A faultless NHS experience.

silverlining48 Sun 05-Aug-18 15:34:21

MissA flowers

SpringyChicken Sun 05-Aug-18 16:14:06

A hell of a lot of money is wasted in the NHS by incompetence in admin. It seems like most people have a story to tell. But from what my friend tells me (a nurse), it's the same on the medical side too. It should never be that staff can refuse a shift but then pick it up as bank work for more money.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 05-Aug-18 16:22:14

Yes, sometimes it's a bit of a shambles. The medical staff do their best but are let down by the clerical side. Letters arrive late or not at all. Important details which are written down and highlighted on the records are ignored. Then one department doesn't communicate with another. If a commercial firm acted like this they'd go out of business. Not good.

Maggiemaybe Sun 05-Aug-18 16:34:26

It can’t always be the admin staff at fault. It’s always handy to have back room people to blame, I suppose, when they’re not around to answer back.

MissAdventure Sun 05-Aug-18 16:50:46

It seems to be a lack of communication between different departments.

grumppa Sun 05-Aug-18 17:12:23

Earlier this year I had a very minor op and was told to ring a call a certain person on a specific number at a given time to get the biopsy result. The doctor added: "You will shortly get a letter wirh a different set of instructions; ignore it." I did as the doctor instructed, and it worked!

Elrel Sun 05-Aug-18 17:44:33

Grumppa - thank you for making me smile! You couldn’t make it up, reminiscent of ‘Yes. Minster’.
After a successful procedure i was mortified to bed block for a week. My highlighted care package was not in place. A senior nurse rolled her eyes as she explained: ‘Someone didn’t speak to Someone Else’.

Elrel Sun 05-Aug-18 18:25:42

Ffinnochio - Good to read your post. When the NHS runs smoothly like that it’s brilliant.
It’s just sad that it’s not always so efficient.
SpringyChicken - the bank scam you mention shouldn’t be possible.

Camelotclub Sun 05-Aug-18 18:41:35

I recently had an ultrasound. I only knew about it the Friday before the Monday the U/S was due because the admin left a message on my phone, otherwise I'd not have shown up. Never got the letter, still haven't!

GreenGran78 Sun 05-Aug-18 19:30:03

A few weeks after having a cyst on my bowel treated successfully in hospital with antibiotics, I was told that they wanted to give me a colonoscopy.
I endured the 'starvation', the vile-tasting laxative drinks, the numerous trips to the loo, and the griping stomach pains with as much patience as possible, then presented myself at the hospital. After waiting for over an hour, in my little white gown, the doctor came to me. Apologetically she explained that there had been a mistake. They never gave colonoscopies after bowel cysts because of the slight risk of a perforation. I could therefore get dressed, and go home. I was NOT amused!

MissAdventure Sun 05-Aug-18 20:54:12

The hospital phoned and left a message on my mums home phone to say she was coming home.
Only trouble was that nobody was there, as she lives alone.

Humbertbear Mon 06-Aug-18 06:52:31

Our Health authority has outsourced the sending out of appointment letters. As a result , we never receive a letter. However we do get texts reminding us of appointments we didn’t know we had. When we arrive at the hospital we join the queue of people clutching their mobile phones asking where they are supposed to be. My husband missed an important appointment because no letter had arrived and we were on holiday when the text pinged on his phone.

Auntieflo Wed 08-Aug-18 09:31:48

Another update to last Sat's post. I rang the cardiology unit, as requested, this morning, and what followed was a most peculiar conversation. Yes, I should have been keeping the appointment, scheduled for today!!! The same appointment that the last letter cancelled . Well, I can't, other arrangements have been made. I will have to have another appointment. As I am due to have surgery next Monday, I sincerely hope that I will not be expected to put in an appearance, in cardiology, on that day. If so, perhaps they would like to cut me in half, do what each wants to do, and sort it out. As you can imagine, I am fed up beyond belief at the moment. (My blood pressure is not doing too well, either). ???

Auntieflo Wed 08-Aug-18 15:38:26

Well, the hospital rang me back. This check up, is a preliminary to my scheduled surgery on Monday. Why couldn't they tell you that in the first place. I thought it was a follow up to my stay in the cardiac unit at the beginning if the month. So, I have to have this appointment. I had to cancel my arrangements for today, phone messages, texts and so on, and off we went to catch the bus. By the time we got there, it had taken two hours, what with road works, traffic delays, bus driver changes etc.
I was seen very promptly, and profuse apologies were made. Now at home with a much needed cuppa. ( till the next time) smile