Gransnet forums

Health

Efudix(chemotherapy cream)

(5 Posts)
Gagagran Mon 27-Aug-18 10:36:03

I have used it too on a BCC on my face. GP said it would get a lot worse before it got better and he was right. I used it once a day for 4 weeks - just a light smear on the red spot thing. It cleared it but there is a sort of different coloured area where it was - no raised lump though.

I had one previously, adjacent to the latest and the GP froze that one off. It took two treatments but did go. I have a silvery area from that.

globalgrandma Mon 27-Aug-18 10:07:26

I have used Efudix 4 times -face and neck. My doctor divided my face into 4 plus my chest. I have been doing it once a year - about to do last face section and redo chest . We have so much skin cancer in my family I really have to do it. It is very , very uncomfortable and I look a sight while doing it but friends and family are used to it now! I go for a solid 4 weeks of treatment - my doctor would like me to alternate weeks with one week on, one week off but it would last for so long!
BUT - the results are fantastic! I have lovely , clear skin on the areas I have done on my face. My chest was not so successful so will repeat soon. Because my treatment was not so urgent I chose months when I wasn't planning on doing much and the weather was cool- I wouldn't like to do it in hot weather! So.... my advice is to try and do it. The results , for me, are amazing! There's lots on the internet- diaries, photos etc. Good luck!

Panache Thu 02-Aug-18 14:52:24

I too have had several full blown BCC`s and with first signs of further pre cancers I was advised to use Efudix.......and this was on going for months on end.The areas always worsen in the initial stages and it takes a length of time before you then see improvements.
But since no 2 people or their cancers or pre cancers are the same I would strongly advise having it checked out with your G.P.
Wishing you some real improvements.......and soon.

stella1949 Thu 02-Aug-18 14:45:33

My husband has used it very successfully over several years, for many skin cancers. For him it just stings a bit. But I used it once on my neck area and I felt as if I'd had boiling water poured all over my skin. I stopped and have never used it since.

I'd be talking to your doctor about this - Efudix does work, but if it hurt your hands badly I'd imagine that your face would react even more. And once it flares up, nothing seems to soothe it. Ask if there is some other treatment which wouldn't react so badly on your skin. Good luck.

farview Thu 02-Aug-18 14:34:41

Had to use this 2yrs ago on my hands and it made them so awful and painful..Now have to use on my face,both cheeks and wondered if anyone has any experience of this..how bad was it? Had two skin cancers removed from hands 2yrs ago,these are all just pre skin cancers! Usage over 4wks is 5days cream,2days off... etc