Gransnet forums

Health

Heart Bypass Surgery

(37 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 10-Aug-18 15:20:20

Anyone have any knowledge of this. I have just heard my favourite sister had a fourth heart attack a week ago. She is having this surgery next Tuesday. I am not in contact with my family so can’t ask them. I love her so much and admit I am fearful.

Eloethan Fri 14-Sep-18 23:14:48

Is there a doctor or anyone with medical knowledge re heart by passes on here please?

He has never smoked, drinks very rarely, is vegetarian and is of normal weight.

It is 11 days since my husband's triple by pass op. He is still feeling exhausted and is asleep most of the time. He doesn't have the energy to do the short walks around the house that are recommended. His wound is also still very painful - he has to hold his shirt away from his chest as he can't bear the touch of it on his skin. He has been taking paracetamol and codeine four times a day, plus other medications. On telephoning, the hospital says his current pain and weakness is normal but is it?

Grannyguitar Mon 20-Aug-18 19:52:58

My husband had a triple bypass eight years ago. He spends three days every week doing maintenance work at the local railway, and often does additional days on platform duty. He has never been healthier, and I bless the day the doctors decided he needed an op!

Anniebach Sat 18-Aug-18 15:35:54

Thank you all x

I dare not send my sister a card, it may upset her, I wouldn’t want that to happen. She has a husband who adores her and a daughter and son and our two other sisters so she has lots of support.

sharon103 Sat 18-Aug-18 15:25:34

Sending hugs Annie. Just a suggestion, could you send a get well or thinking of you card to your sister and hope that when she gets well again that she will hopefully contact you again. I hope that she makes a good recovery.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 18-Aug-18 15:12:46

My aunt had open heart surgery at 84 and made a full recovery, otherwise I am afraid I am not much help. Also my daughter is type 1 and has been since the age of 9, she lives alone with daily carers going in to help her. She has a life line band on her wrist with a button to press to connect her to help if she ever falls or feels she needs help. She often wakes in the night feeling she has very low sugar levels and is able to get help. I hope in time you and and your family will get back together, never give up hope Annie.x

Auntieflo Sat 18-Aug-18 13:34:29

Dear Annie, sorry to hear that you are having another difficulty to deal with, and that you and your sister are estranged. My DB has not spoken to me for more years than I can remember, his wife is a darling. They are both very poorly at the moment, and I am hoping and praying that he might come to his senses, soon. We can but live in hopes, as they say. flowers for you.

Anniebach Sat 18-Aug-18 12:13:42

Thank you all. I won’t google , I am useless at it, get things I don’t want and not what I do want.

I will have to wait until I hear she is home, can continuing praying for her, I could smack her for being so difficult, it worked when she was small ! Suppose I find it difficult to accept she doesn’t need me for support now, miss her so much, don’t hold much hope though she has refused to speak to our brother for 20 years ,

grandtanteJE65 Sat 18-Aug-18 11:36:40

I do hope your sister is still doing well, Anniebach, you and yours have had quite enough to try you lately.

Hoping and praying all continues to go well and that it might even ease the family situation a bit for you.

FlorenceFlower Sat 18-Aug-18 11:00:52

Hi, pleased you have found advice on this thread helpful. Personal views and experience often the best.

I know you didn’t want to Google this subject, but if you should change your mind, the NHS website gives good, balanced and easy to read information:

www.nhsinform.scot/tests-and-treatments/surgical-procedures/heart-surgery

Some other websites are equally helpful but some websites can be alarmist, unhelpful and sometimes just plain wrong!

?

Diggingdoris Sat 18-Aug-18 10:46:50

My father had a quad bypass and new valve fitted at 80 and went on to live to 97, so stay positive, they do amazing things these days.

Anniebach Sat 18-Aug-18 10:41:54

Thank you all, I was so worried and fearful, I heard last night she is out of ICU.

Jaycee5 Sat 18-Aug-18 10:33:45

My father had a triple by-pass about 8 years ago. He is in his late 80s now and seems to be physically well now.

paddyann Fri 17-Aug-18 14:06:38

two of my OH's friends had triple bypass surgery ,neither was a candidate for heart problems ,well not from looking at them .Both fit, healthy ,non drinkers or smokers .One has gone back to his high security job as a bodyguard and the other has decided that he will semi retire and enjoy life rather than work as much as he was before .Both are fit as fleas though they have to take medication for life

SueDonim Fri 17-Aug-18 12:19:56

That's good news, Annie. I hope she continues to make good progress.

I can only echo what others have said. I know a number of people who've had variations of the bypass op theme and for all of them, it's been absolutely life-enhancing. smile

Anniebach Fri 17-Aug-18 12:01:20

Hope and pray so Maw, it has been troubling not being able to ask if she had the op and if so how it went , she sent a text to her God-daughter last night, she is the wife of my son in law who isn’t! Come to think of it his first wife, my younger daughter is her God-daughter too

MawBroon Fri 17-Aug-18 11:55:04

Excellent news Anniebach onwards and upwards!

Anniebach Fri 17-Aug-18 11:52:52

Have heard my sister had a triple by pass on Tuesday, she is off the ventilator, I hope she will be alright now.

Thank you all x

Eilyann70 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:00:15

My SIL had a quadruple by pass over 30 years ago - she's now 85 and going strong!

Anniebach Sat 11-Aug-18 16:38:51

They have taken a long time haven’t they? She has had stents procedure twice

M0nica Sat 11-Aug-18 16:25:41

I am surprised they did not do bypass surgery earlier.

Anniebach Sat 11-Aug-18 16:16:23

After my sisters third heart attack they said her heart was damaged

M0nica Sat 11-Aug-18 14:36:10

My best friend has just had a triple bypass. Four weeks after surgery she is almost back to normal. Another friend had the same operation and it was transformational.

Nothing to be fearful about. It is routine surgery and rarely has an unsuccessful outcome.

NannyG4 Sat 11-Aug-18 13:54:03

My husband has had two major heart operations...aortic valve replacement and heart bypass in 1999 at age 47. Made a complete recovery returned to full time work and joined the gym...joining a sspinning class. Three years ago he had to have the valve replacement procedure repeated and another by pass. Again made a full recovery and again still attends a spinning class at the gym. Also cycles walks and enjoys a full and active life. I know it's a worrying time for you and your sister and anyone else undergoing this pricedure. But please be reassured this surgery is for the best and will give your sister a much better quality of life. Please give her my best wishes. Also to your husband Eloethan. If I can be if any further help please let me know.

Anniebach Sat 11-Aug-18 10:30:03

I feel less fearful now, thank you x

sukie Sat 11-Aug-18 03:10:08

I will echo what others said have said. My mother had a quintuple bypass at 77, followed by a pacemaker about 5 years later and she is still going, 20 years on. Best wishes for your sister, Anniebach and for your DH, Eloethan.