Gransnet forums

Health

Statins and resultant skin problems

(40 Posts)
giulia Sun 26-Aug-18 07:45:25

I have been on statins for about a year. Since I started, I have developed various skin problems and am now wondering if the medicine could be the cause.
I started with excema on my hands and put the blame on rubber gloves. I then started seborrhic dermatitis on my head but it has now progressed to my ears and - just now - to my eyebrows, despite the medication I have been prescribed for both.
I have had eruptions of acne rosacea on my chest and blamed that on the heat and resultant sweating.
Worst of all, a granuloma erupted over a bunion scar on my foot early January and has still not closed despite my (over 20) visits to a dermatological hospital. Even they seem perplexed.
This morning, it came to me that the root of all this could be the statin I take each day.
Naturally, I will consult my doctor but first thought I would check it on on Gransnet to see if any of you have had similar problems.

BlueBelle Sat 11-May-19 17:49:25

I totally refuse to take statins my cholesterol is a bit higher than the accepted level (which goes down and down over the years) but I d rather take my chances

MadeInYorkshire Sat 11-May-19 18:47:54

My cholesterol is actually fine, but have a lot of nasty other co-morbidities like diabetes etc it was thought that I should maybe go on them ... I think I may drop them for a while and see what happens as I am always in pain now in my limbs etc and my whole body just feels as though it is full of inflammation ... I did think it was the Sjogrens and my auto-immune stuff, but maybe it isn't??

I will report back if it makes a difference as my hands are now permanently dry. sore and stiff, and one of my fingers is forever getting stuck down (Trigger Finger/tendonitis) ... x

NfkDumpling Mon 13-May-19 07:34:54

annepl - I make up my own muesli using 50% oats, 25 -30% flaxseed and the rest in goodies - seeds, sultanas and nuts. Apparently walnuts and almonds are best. And I sprinkle a level desert spoon or Lecithin granules on top. Flaxseed and Lecithin from Holland and Barrett. Healthspan sell plant sterol tablets but I got my levels down before I discovered them.

I also cut down drastically on animal fats and rape and palm oil fats (which includes swopping butter for Benecol or I prefer Pro-Active). This effectively cuts down on cake, biscuits, milk chocolate, chips and crispy snacks - thus the bonus of a bit of weight loss! I now snack on nuts instead. They have the right sort of fat. It makes for a very healthy diet!

NfkDumpling Mon 13-May-19 07:35:50

of Lethicin

NfkDumpling Mon 13-May-19 07:39:37

The friend who advised me had cholesterol levels through the roof and she’s got her’s down to three point something too. Just on diet.

annep1 Mon 13-May-19 07:58:59

Thanks nfkDumpling for all that helpful info.

BlueSky Mon 13-May-19 09:11:09

Thanks Nfk very helpful. I'm in the same boat, still trying to resist statins and hoping other methods will work. I bought some plant sterol tablets but they are rather huge to swallow. I've just discovered Benecol chews just a pleasant tasting little pastille, so will see when I have a blood test in June. But I'm determined not to take statins unless the consultant wants me to. They were prescribed by a new young doctor which I honestly don't trust.

Soup75 Mon 13-May-19 10:19:55

A friend took herself off statins as she had several side effects her GP didn't approve and now is not giving her cholesterol check ups as it was her decision to come off them. Anyone else had this problem....Im in the UK.

blondenana Mon 13-May-19 11:59:02

My sister had very bad joint pains while on statins, so did my son,i had some but not as bad,
Speaking to my local pharmacist about statins she said she would never take them, that says a lot i think
I stopped mine ages ago

Grannyknot Mon 13-May-19 12:10:57

I can't comment on statins and skin problems (I've never taken them), but here's a thing smile - my cholesterol shows up "on the high side" (6+) so for the past 5 years every time the GP noticed that, he/she has suggested that I start taking statins. I've resisted.

At the end of last year, I participated in an extensive cardiac research programme at our local hospital, my heart was checked every which way with scans and MRIs, exercise stress testing - you name it. Results came back that I have 0% coronary disease. So boohoo to the statins ...! (I don't think I ever really needed them). I've framed the letter. (Joking!)

NfkDumpling Mon 13-May-19 18:25:44

Soup 75 - My doctor is reluctant too and I’ll have to wait round for my annual check up.

Lloyds chemists and I expect others too will give you a cholesterol test for around £10-£15. It takes a couple of minutes. Much like the prick test diabetics do. It gives a print out giving levels of both cholesterols.

Grape1 Wed 12-Jun-19 13:48:54

I was put on statins just by chance when I went to the docs with a throat infection ! That was late 2016 ... and since then I haven’t had a blood test at all. I came off them for a few weeks after I’d had a couple of falls then went back on. In the intervening time my husband died and I just wasn’t concentrating on my own health. I’ve now started with eczema on my hands and eye lids ... the itching drives me mad ! I saw the doctor ( first time since being put on them ) and came away with hydrocortisone cream and antihistamines. ( I’ve had hay fever for the last 65 years and it’s the first time I’ve had eczema) The doctor thought it might be stress related. Over the last few days I’ve been researching statins and realise that this could all be connected, plus my sleep is appalling and I also have nose bleeds. All seem to be side effects ... plus I’ve put on weight. To get an appointment at my doctors is a very rare thing ... it’s now into July, so I’m going to try the next couple of weeks with no statin. The itching is driving me mad and I’m embarrassed for anyone to see my hands and day by day my eye is going worse. I’ll take the risk ... I’ve no problems with my heart ( touch wood ) don’t smoke and walk regularly. I’ll keep you informed !

petra Wed 12-Jun-19 14:07:51

I've said this before on the station threads but I'll say it again.
My close friend was put on statins after a heart attack. Prior to that, no cholesterol problems.
After starting the statins she could hardly put one foot in front of the other.
I begged her to come off them: she did.
Some time later I went with her to see her consultant.
He asked if she was still taking the statins. She told him,no, and why.
He said and stay off them !!!

BlueSky Wed 12-Jun-19 16:10:30

As I said before I will only consider taking statins if specifically prescribed by cardiologist. And even then would return to see him if I experienced side effects even though I know at times we blame statins and other medication for all ailments.