Gransnet forums

Health

Cognitive behavioural therapy

(52 Posts)
Bopeep14 Tue 18-Sep-18 09:07:44

Hi all I have been given the option of doing Cognitive behaviourl therapy has anybody done this and found it useful? I have been feeling low for a while now and really don’t want medication. To attend the course i will have to get two buses or a taxi ( I don’t drive) just wondering if it’s worth the expense. I have done some reading on the internet but would be interested in someone’s first hand experience, if you are willing to share.

Teetime Tue 18-Sep-18 09:09:22

It works bopeep14 give it a go. smile

silverlining48 Tue 18-Sep-18 09:42:08

I think it can be be very successful bopeep, it’s a pity it isn’t closer but why not try it anyway. Even just for a couple of times to see how you feel.
If you have a bus pass it’s just the time spent, and it may be worth it, good luck and hope it helps.

NanKate Tue 18-Sep-18 09:50:39

Hello Bopeep I can vouch that it has helped me calm down from a very traumatic year. My doctor offered it to me and I decided to do it Online not in a group session.

Can you not get it free through your doctor, who will put you in touch with your local Mental Health team?

If you want to PM me along the way I can help you get into the swing of things.

If I could sum up the results of CBT for me it has stopped me dwelling on dreadful past events and also imagining the worst scenario future events and I now try and live in the present, which in modern day language is called Mindfulness. I have very much benefitted from meditation done on my trusty IPad with earphones.

Hope you feel better soon.

henetha Tue 18-Sep-18 10:16:58

It worked for me, Bopeep. I had six months of group CBT because of panic attacks. It teaches you how to deal with things. It was free, through my GP. Good luck.

Anniebach Tue 18-Sep-18 10:21:26

NanKate, how is it done Online ?

Luckygirl Tue 18-Sep-18 11:59:56

You can indeed do it online - google it! And there are excellent books that take you through the process.

It is a therapy that can be very effective. It does not suit everyone - we are all different.Our local NHS mental health team only offers CBT - the cynic in me says it is cheap!

I really do think it is worth a go - either on your own online, or via a therapist - in the latter case, you need someone who you can relate to. The lady I saw barely took her eyes off her computer screen! - but I am hoping she is the exception!!

humptydumpty Tue 18-Sep-18 12:06:15

Annie this is the online course I have heard good things about:

ccbtmain.cbtprogram.com/products/fearfighter/

Anniebach Tue 18-Sep-18 12:10:04

I just looked on line Luckygirl, very costly , recommend 10 to 15 sessions , £50 a session. Waiting list in this surgery, over a year . Thank you for replying

NanKate Tue 18-Sep-18 13:18:12

Hello Annie my doctor suggested I had CBT and linked me up with the local mental health team, they then offered me group sessions or online and I opted online. They then sent me a programme Online of about 8 modules. I did one a week and my supporter emailed me back with comments weekly. At the end she phoned and we discussed if I wanted more support or to finish.

Before the course began I had two phone calls to explain my situation. I sobbed through both but felt better that I was getting support. I am a lot better now. Ask me anything you need to know. It was free through the NHS.

oldbatty Tue 18-Sep-18 14:01:51

Bopeep, it is of course entirely your choice and I am not medically trained ,but maybe consider a chat to your GP and a short course of the appropriate medication may lift you.

mabon1 Tue 18-Sep-18 14:20:08

Worth two buses I'm told by a friend.

lizzypopbottle Tue 18-Sep-18 14:22:49

It might be available over the phone. It works just the same. You could ask.

Venus Tue 18-Sep-18 14:27:06

To be honest, I didn't find it very useful. Your strength has to come from within. Relaxation tapes are a help and I think music in general lifts my mood. I'm not saying don't try it but it didn't work for me.

lesley4357 Tue 18-Sep-18 14:31:19

OH is a psychotherapist and thinks CBT is a waste of time. At best it only offers short term respite. It treats the symptoms rather than the disease.

Kacee Tue 18-Sep-18 14:31:53

I have had a course of CBT and unfortunately I don't feel it worked for me. It was one on one and I wasn't over Impressed with my councillor

Anniebach Tue 18-Sep-18 14:33:38

Thanks NanKate, only advice my GP gave was to contact local branch of MIND, I did, my younger daughter thinks they are making things worse ! Was promised a weekly visit, encouraged to buy scooter. The woman who arranged this then was off for a months. When she came back she apologised and suggested a chap from there stood in for her should she take time off again. She has been off for two months, in the last six weeks he has called twice, first time he had his dog in the car and kept looking out the window checking the dog , then said ‘ sorry I will have to go she doesn’t like cars, see you next week. He didn’t turn up, came the following week apologised, he forgot me. See you next week, that was three weeks ago. I keep wondering if I am a nuisance to them. I don’t whinge, we just discuss my recovery programme , but he then forgets .

Sorry I have hogged the thread

diamondsgirl Tue 18-Sep-18 14:36:06

CBT is amazing.. I can not recommend it highly enough. Some years ago I was in the midst of a breakdown and CBT was and still is, a shining light in my life. Please try it and don't rely on the internet, it will seem odd at first but well worth it.

Jobey68 Tue 18-Sep-18 14:45:21

My son is currently having CBT and alongside medication it has helped turn his life around, his therapist has changed the way he was seeing things and taught him coping mechanisms, the meds have reduced the anxiety enough for him to focus on his CBT.
My nephew also has used both to help him through anxiety attacks and I can only see the benefits it has had for them both.
All the best to you Xx

Bopeep14 Tue 18-Sep-18 14:58:37

Thanks all for your as usual helpful advice, I have got it through the NHS, the expense comes from the two buses or taxi, not quite old enough for a bus pass yet. ? Thank you Nankate for your kind offer my course doesn’t start until the middle of October but I may take you up on your offer. I am very sceptical but will give it a go. I like you sobbed all the way through my initial phone call yesterday, I need to get back to being me I feel so guilty because I have lots of good things in my life but can only seem to focus on the bad at times.

keriku Tue 18-Sep-18 15:04:45

I had it following severe PND and it truly helped me. Give it a go! However, I will admit that initially the thought of attending the appointments sent my anxieties through the roof! It was definitely worth it though. I hope it works for you too.

b1zzle Tue 18-Sep-18 15:14:34

I didn't find it very useful either. Probably because I tend to be a 'people-pleaser' so I just ended up doing/ saying what I thought the therapist wanted to know/hear. But it's free on the NHS. All it takes is a doctor's referral, so give it a try. It could work for you.

Arto1s Tue 18-Sep-18 15:34:56

I have a friend who has had many counselling sessions for CBT. It isn’t a cure, but it has helped her so much to deal with anxiety and panic attacks.

Sue162 Tue 18-Sep-18 15:37:48

As I posted on another recent forum, I am using CBT at the moment, together with Citalopram which I have taken for years. At 74, I felt I was desperate to enjoy the rest of my life without constant panic attacks and anxiety. My GP referred me to Talking Space which involved a half hour talk with my counsellor and fortnightly booked telephone appointments. Like so many people, I had some horrible things happen in my youth and I have fought to find answers. There are none and CBT teaches you to stop thinking about the reasons for your anxiety but to learn techniques to combat it. Early days, but helping me so far. Sorry for the long post. Hope it helps. flowers

cornergran Tue 18-Sep-18 15:43:04

Please give it a try bopeep, if you can suspend disbelief for a few weeks (some of it seems odd at first). you may find some if not all of the taught techniques helpful. Usually, I know areas differ, the group sessions are the first step offered as they teach basic CBT techniques. If even a little bit helpful there should (may) be the option of a few 1:1 sessions afterwards. No therapeutic approach suits everyone but CBT is often really helpful in dealing with unhelpful thoughts. Initially it was introduced as a routine NHS provision as it was thought to have a validated positive outcome record. It is now acknowledged there are other approaches equally effective and the NHS offers different approaches in some areas. Wishing you well. It is worth a try.