Gransnet forums

Health

Flu Vaccine

(47 Posts)
JessM Fri 21-Sep-18 13:05:13

Vaccine now available - this year with 2 varieties. One for older people on NHS and the other for anyone else. I paid for one for years when self-employed. And I'll be getting my free one in local pharmacy next week. Avoids queues and hanging around in surgery waiting room. My local pharmacy have a cheap offer for first few weeks of £8.99 for those who pay. I'm champing at the bit to have mine as I am having treatment for breast cancer and my immune system is consequently weak. I wish the NHS would remind working people that for a small payment they can protect themselves. Even for the fittest people, influenza is a horrible illness that ruins best part of a month and sufferers would probably pay a tenner just to make it stop for a single hour. And if enough people got the jab it would reduce the spread of flu in the community and take some pressure off the NHS.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 21-Sep-18 13:20:40

Had mine at the local,pharmacy yesterday (have had one every year since they were available as I am asthmatic).

lemongrove Fri 21-Sep-18 13:23:19

Good to remind us all JessM and good luck with your cancer treatment.?

harrigran Fri 21-Sep-18 18:09:36

A reminder to those having cancer treatment, tell them about your treatment before you have the flu vaccine. I wasn't allowed to have the injection while I was having chemotherapy, had to wait until it was finished.

Luckygirl Fri 21-Sep-18 18:27:16

Our flu jabs happen in the village hall - it's a bit of a party with tea and cake!

Fennel Fri 21-Sep-18 18:31:00

Does it really work? And does the injection make you feel poorly?
The last 16 years we were in rural France, very little mixing with crowds of people, we never had the vaccine, though it was offered. TG never had 'flu, not even a cold.
Now that we're back with the crowds, on public transport, do you think it's essential?
Aged 82 and 75.

silverlining48 Fri 21-Sep-18 18:46:06

Might be a good idea Fennel.

BlueBelle Fri 21-Sep-18 18:59:00

I have never had any ill effects I had mine today and am certainly not expecting any side effects I also went to the local pharmacy my surgery was doing it for my age group beginning of November and is a good bus ride away so I just walked in whilst out shopping today
I was very anti for a while but after seeing friends very ill have now had it the last four or five years with no problems

Alima Fri 21-Sep-18 19:13:57

We went to the surgery to book ours last week. Managed to get it done there and then. Neither of us have ever had any ill effects from the vaccine. (Was reading today about a new vaccine available from October. Supposed to combat different strains if I got the right end of the stick. Hope we haven’t jumped the gun!)

Thorntrees Fri 21-Sep-18 19:15:59

You beat me to it harrigran,when I had chemo for lymphoma a few years ago which finished in the August I was not allowed the flu vaccine until the following year. That’s why the more people who do have it protect not only themselves but those who are vulnerable for whatever reason and can’t have the jab. I’ve always had it every year since with no problem.

OldMeg Fri 21-Sep-18 19:19:25

Fennel it gives some limited protection.

SueDonim Fri 21-Sep-18 19:26:23

I plan to get the flu vaccine this year, for the first time. I'm not yet old enough for the NHS one so will pay for it myself.

I had flu last January and was so ill for weeks and weeks. I really don't want that again. My Dh has had the vax for a number of years and never had a reaction.

Fennel, I'd get the vaccine, if I were you. Moving to a different place means you'll be encountering different bugs from your old home and you won't have resistance.

Jalima1108 Fri 21-Sep-18 19:58:17

Fennel the new vaccine for the over 75's can apparently make you feel a bit poorly, but the normal one is not supposed to do so.
It was the nurse at the surgery who talked to me about it as DH was due to have his over-75 jab this week but is leaving it for a couple of weeks as he is anxious not to have a reaction in the next few days, important things coming up.

I hope all goes well with you and your treatment JessM.
Those who have a compromised immune system are advised to have the flu jab, according to my consultant, but not the shingles vaccine.

I'm not sure about the new flu vaccine for those with a compromised immune system as I think it is a live vaccine. They should ask their doctor for advice.

Fennel Sat 22-Sep-18 21:23:32

Thanks - I think I'll discuss it with my doctor.

OldMeg Sat 22-Sep-18 21:26:55

JessM hope your treatment is going well.

Greenfinch Sat 22-Sep-18 21:30:45

We went to the surgery today only to be told that they had run out of the vaccine for the over 65's and it was only half way through the morning. They blamed the government !

annsixty Sat 22-Sep-18 21:49:36

My H and I had the vaccine on Wed, both over 80.
No reaction whatsoever we have both had it every year now for 20 years , never had a reaction or flu.

MillieBear Sat 22-Sep-18 21:56:47

Boots....one free, one not. One very sore arm, one not. Fingers crossed it keeps the lurgy at bay!

JessM Sun 23-Sep-18 19:05:50

Thanks for the good wishes. DH has a sore arm but otherwise fine. Got a review clinic tomorrow so I can double check re vaccine, but I seem to recall Dr mentioned it a few months back as important. The vaccine used on adults is not "live" so should not make anyone ill unless they have egg allergies. (Eggs used to grow vaccine). There are always other flu-like illnesses around in the winter. Immunity takes a couple of weeks to build up. So although those who get a virus of some kind just after the vaccine think the vaccine is the cause, I think that is a case of looking for somewhere to point the finger of blame.

GrandmaMoira Sun 23-Sep-18 19:19:16

It is not only those with egg allergies who can't have the flu vaccine. I am allergic to neomycin and can't have the vaccine. I wish I could have it as I am asthmatic and prone to colds and chest infections.

muffinthemoo Sun 23-Sep-18 19:26:15

Have had flu twice in the last decade including one hospitalisation sad

I always get the vaccine because some protection is better than none.

Liz46 Sun 23-Sep-18 19:47:01

I had the over 65 flu vaccine a few days ago. I had a sore arm for a couple of days but am a great believer in having the jab. As I said on another thread, I looked after my husband when he caught flu. I had had the jab because I have asthma and I didn't catch the flu from him. He is normally strong but was flat out in bed for days.

pinkprincess Sun 23-Sep-18 22:38:38

I first had the flu vaccine in 1999. As was working as a nurse and it was given to all of nursing and medical staff at the hospital. I had a bad reaction to it and declined to have any more.
That was until 3 years ago when I had to be admitted to hospital as emergency when I suddenly became acutely short of breath.The reason given was flu. Just after this I was diagnosed with COPD and now have the flu jab annually at my GPs. Never had any more side effects though.
My DH gets the Pneumonia jab as well as he has cardiac disease.

BlueBelle Sun 23-Sep-18 23:30:56

Pneumonia jab is a one off pinkprincess I had it when I was 70 and the shingles jab too
Luckily never have any reactions to any of them

OldMeg Mon 24-Sep-18 08:10:17

I’ve had both pneumonia and shingles jab a while ago and was informed by the Practice Nurse that they are 50% effective.