Gransnet forums

Health

How would you feel if your GP kept sending you messages encouraging you to eat less and lose weight?

(106 Posts)
M0nica Sat 06-Oct-18 20:32:41

..... encouraging you to stop drinking or smoking or take exercise.

This is a suggestion from some public health quango. Doctors are to target overweight people, or drinkers, or the inactive with regular emails encouraging them to do the right thing.

Am I alone in saying that almost anybody I know, who received regular nagging messages from their GP, far from taking the advice proffered would be just become more determined not to change their habits.

We have already had discussions on GN about persuading DHs to change their behaviour or get someone with diabetes or who drinks too much to change their ways and the advice we always give is to stand back, say nothing as nothing makes people more intransigence and determined not to change their habits than constantly being told what they ought to do.

Revolucion Sat 06-Oct-18 20:40:47

People need coaching to help them change their habits not irritating text messages reminding them of what they already know which is that they should exercise more drink less lose weight and give up smoking.

Suppprt groups and/or CBT would be a whole lot more effective.

Moocow Sat 06-Oct-18 23:18:32

I would send me in a downward spiral. Telling me, suggesting to me etc would just make me feel even worse than I already do.

Alexa Sun 07-Oct-18 00:38:27

I'd be delighted to get so much close attention from the doctor!

absent Sun 07-Oct-18 04:40:48

I don't have a mobile phone. He can send as many text messages about weight loss, eating fruit and vegetables, not smoking, not drinking alcohol, taking exercise, breathing on alternate days of the week or whatever. In fact, my GP is a delightful man who does not bully about healthy lifestyles, although he may make gentle suggestions when I go to see him. Mind you, I haven't seen him for at least three years, maybe longer.

Willow500 Sun 07-Oct-18 05:57:06

I don't think my GP even knows who I am!! Come to think of it I don't actually know who my GP is either grin

Billybob4491 Sun 07-Oct-18 06:27:50

Yes I would feel quite flattered to get the undivided attention from my GP.

BlueBelle Sun 07-Oct-18 07:11:04

Willow I m with you I have no idea who my doctor is now

Auntieflo Sun 07-Oct-18 08:24:42

Yes, well when it is the GP, maybe. But when it is face to face with the health practice nurse, and she is most definitely on the very overweight scale, hmmm...

PECS Sun 07-Oct-18 08:38:26

Well intentioned but badly understood by the sound of it!
When I decide I need to be more abstemious, food or drink wise, there is nothing more annoying than family or friend commenting on what I have chosen to eat/ drink!
If the messages are simply links to where support and advice can be obtained then maybe a monthly reminder of support services is ok. Any hint of a reprimand would not be appropriate. Has anyone seen one of these proposed messages??

Sparklefizz Sun 07-Oct-18 08:58:04

Yes, Auntieflo But when it is face to face with the health practice nurse, and she is most definitely on the very overweight scale, hmmm...

An absolutely massive nurse at the hospital said to me "Let's see how much you weigh!"

I felt like saying "NO! Let's see how much you weigh!"

PECS Sun 07-Oct-18 09:02:05

At least they will understand....
Nurses are just human beings and as imperfect as you or me! Not enough nurses to select those with perfect BMI to do the weighing!

Bathsheba Sun 07-Oct-18 09:22:39

I doubt there's a person alive who doesn't already know that a couch potato lifestyle, eating junk food, smoking and drinking is bad for them, and to become healthier and live longer they should change their ways. We all know this - we do not need to be told.
The fact that I am overweight and do little exercise is nothing to do with ignorance. Text messages from my GP will do nothing to alter my bad habits.
And don't anyone kid themselves that this is 'personal attention' from their GP or even from one of the nurses - this will be an automated function of a piece of software on their computers. Press a button, out goes the latest piece of 'encouraging' nonsense to several hundred patients

Liz46 Sun 07-Oct-18 09:22:44

When my cholesterol was a bit too high my GP told me to see a practice nurse for advice. She started to give me a lecture about what to eat but I'm afraid my eyes must have glazed over. She was so overweight that I couldn't take her seriously. I am not overweight and eat quite sensibly.

My mother lived to 95 and just used to say 'a little of what you fancy does you good'. She had a tot of dark rum in her coffee before she went to bed every night and slept very well.

Nannylovesshopping Sun 07-Oct-18 09:31:25

When I gave up cigarettes with the help of the smoking cessation clinic, the nurse running it absolutely stank of cigarettes, that helped more than any patches, to think that I smelt like that ☹️

PamelaJ1 Sun 07-Oct-18 09:45:09

Very surprised as I’m not overweight?
Bathsheba- I’m amazed when I discover that some people don’t know what causes health issues. To me the information seems to be everywhere.
I was talking to a friend the other day who has just been told that she is pre diabetic. During the course of the conversation it turns out that she drinks liquid sugar during the day AKA fruit drinks. She assured me they aren’t from concentrates! How could she not know how bad they are for her?
Mind you I’m not sure she would be pleased to hear from the Dr.

Blinko Sun 07-Oct-18 09:57:51

Surely there's more help and advice here on GN with all the various threads about weight, diet, 5:2, 16:8, LCHF et al. Some excellent advice and encouragement, from like minded people. I'd recommend GN to anyone who wanted to know.

Blinko Sun 07-Oct-18 09:59:37

Ooh yes, a tot of dark rum any day! brew For me, it has to be a tot of Baileys (or similar).

KatyK Sun 07-Oct-18 10:13:02

I would hate it. Mind you, the GP I usually see wouldn't have the nerve I don't think. I'd say he's morbidly obese - about 5ft 5 and I would say 20 stone-ish, if not heavier.

Teetime Sun 07-Oct-18 10:13:32

I'm Ok with it- I often eat the wrong things then moan about my weight and sometimes (often) have one too many glasses of wine. I'd appreciate a friendly nudge now and again.
I'm glad to see the NHS trying to modernise some of its services rather than soldiering on with things that dont work in the same way anymore e.g. GP practice.

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Oct-18 10:19:38

The last time I saw my GP was at a party and he had a glass of wine in his hand ….

widgeon3 Sun 07-Oct-18 10:39:10

At doctors with athlete's foot........
'just hop on the scales'
'Is that germane?' , i said to the young, very overweight doctor
'what does that word mean ?' she asked but she backed off.
Next time (under pressure of government directives)
' JUST slip off your cardigan and I'll take your BP'
I suffer gravely from 'white coat syndrome ' as it was called before they dropped the white coat. Even the suggestion sends my pulse racing and I feel sick.
This must have been explained to them 20 times but no-where had it been noted.. or maybe read.
'No, thank you. Otherwise I shall regard it as assault,'

monkeywings123 Sun 07-Oct-18 10:49:02

Glad to read that many GNers find it an unhelpful course of action . . thought it was just me - and I agree that predominantly it is likely to have the opposite effect - i.e. make people more obstinate as the pp said its is not ignorance but a lifestyle choice not to abstain from everything . . . especially so when when the "advice" is being delivered by some of the most over weight people anywhere!! As a direct result of being diagnosed with a lung condition (have never smoked) from a cough that took me to the GP in the first instance and made worse by prescribed tablets I now find I am being directed to the dietetic clinic for my "obesity" . . . goodness knows why . . . I have been the same weight for the last decade, eat and drink sensibly and am heartily well otherwise . . . but no mention of any action to tackle the cough or how to deal with my lung condition . . . just seems like yet another "job filler" for NHS staff who we are led to believe are already stretched to the limits . . . . why jump on this latest bandwagon . . .is it because if you don't drink . . .don't smoke . . .your illness MUST be down to the fact that you have via ignorance entered the morbidly obese category?!!

Legs55 Sun 07-Oct-18 10:49:30

As I'm Diabetic (Type 2) I see Diabetic Nurse once a year, Blood Tests to confirm Diabetes is under control, have given up smoking & only rarely have alcohol I would be furious. Yes I'm overweight, no I don't exercise enough but health issues reduce my ability to exercise. I eat healthily, lots of veg, fruit within guidelines & restrict sugar.

Only time I've lost weight easily was when I was taken off Diabetes medication, lost over 2.5 stone in 4 months but Diabetes reading was almost off the scale, I did feel well though. Now I'm on different medication weight has piled back and more also I don't feel as fit & healthyconfused. Text messages can be easily deletedgrin

Grampie Sun 07-Oct-18 10:52:28

No thanks.

I’d end up all gangly rather like our PM.