Gransnet forums

Health

Another knew knee, here we go again.

(112 Posts)
felice Thu 11-Oct-18 14:34:02

After tests last week and seeing my GP on Friday I finally made an appointment to see a knee surgeon. The knee has been knackered for years but I have been putting it off.
Saw a very nice man this morning, said it was the worse knee he had seen when the person was still walking, oops.
Asked me if I wanted to have it done next Tuesday! but have asked for after Christmas, 9th January.

I will be in Hospital for between 4 and 6 weeks so please keep me going in book suggestions and chat.

looking forward to being a bit more pain free but not all the hassle that goes with it.
By the way the Hospital I am using gives you a beer with your main meal at lunchtime and happy for you to have one glass of wine in the evening if it does not affect your health. Nice bottle of white will be in the bedside fridge.

There seems to be a lot of organising to do and how to explain to DGS why I will not be around for a while.
He will visit of course but it is going to be difficult for him.

Charleygirl5 Thu 11-Oct-18 14:45:43

Where on earth are you having your knee replaced because no hospital keeps a person in for 4-6 weeks. The average is 4 days and maybe 12 days if 90 degrees bend cannot be achieved.

tiredoldwoman Thu 11-Oct-18 15:00:32

I'm sure your wee grandson will love coming to visit you in hospital for however long you're in for . Beer and wine in hospital sounds great , I need my knee seeing to as well but I'm putting it off . Hospital booze might lure me !

Jane10 Thu 11-Oct-18 15:14:45

Can't understand you being in hospital so long for a TKR. I was in for 4 days each time. Most people round here are discharged the day after surgery which I couldn't face. I think you may need to discuss again with your doc you've maybe misunderstood the length of time meant. 4-6 days sounds more like it.

Charleygirl5 Thu 11-Oct-18 15:19:35

The hospital cannot be in this country because alcohol is not served in a British hospital as drugs and alcohol do not mix being one reason.

MawBroon Thu 11-Oct-18 15:20:12

My neighbour has just told me she is having hers done in a couple of weeks.
It would have meant waiting until some time next year on the NHS so she is going private.
£12000
Blimey, I was speechless.

Charleygirl5 Thu 11-Oct-18 15:24:44

Maw that is an average cost. A hinge joint like the knee is much more difficult to replace than a ball and socket hip joint like. It is half the price- most times it takes half of the time.

MawBroon Thu 11-Oct-18 15:37:21

I am stunned.
How on Earth do people afford it? (Rhetorical question)
Respect.

Jane10 Thu 11-Oct-18 15:38:35

MawBroon you can get pretty desperate about the pain and the resultant restriction on just everyday life. I suppose if someone's saved up for a rainy day they might as well use it to buy some more life for your years. No pockets in a shroud (she said darkly!)

Jane10 Thu 11-Oct-18 15:41:02

A lady I met waiting in a wheelchair at the airport was telling me that a knee replacement in London could cost up to £40,000. I suspect she must have meant at one of those Uber posh private places.

Charleygirl5 Thu 11-Oct-18 15:45:12

Jane I do not believe that and I have had a lot to do with that in my other life.

A consultation is at least £300 which I find mind blowing.

annsixty Thu 11-Oct-18 16:37:05

I was quoted £11300 2 years ago.

I waited 14 weeks and had it done on the NHS.

Fennel Thu 11-Oct-18 16:59:05

It sounds as if felice could be in France. I had my hip replacement their and people said - you'll get wine with your meals. But I never saw any.
I was insured so didn't have to pay, but was sent a list of costs and it was about 8500 euro, that was 12 years ago.
Maybe felice is going to one of the spa places for 're-education'. Some french people are covered for that by their health insurance policy. My hairdresser told me she had that after she broke her ankle.

Chewbacca Thu 11-Oct-18 18:26:56

My best mate had a TKR last Friday afternoon, sent home Monday morning, physio arrived Monday afternoon. Is already climbing stairs to bathroom & bedroom and walking around with crutches. She's aiming to be driving and back at work in 6 weeks.

MawBroon Thu 11-Oct-18 18:36:13

I think Felice lives in Brussels.

henetha Thu 11-Oct-18 19:31:07

Why 4 to 6 weeks? I've had both knees done and was in for 5 days each time.....NHS, and very successful both times.

grannyqueenie Thu 11-Oct-18 22:05:09

It must be overseas, anyone here would be afraid to turn down such a quick date for fear of the NHS being overloaded as it was last winter and their op being delayed

Luckygirl Thu 11-Oct-18 22:09:58

4 to 6 weeks!!!!!!

stella1949 Thu 11-Oct-18 22:30:59

The time frame can't be right. 4-6 weeks is the time it takes until you are fully recovered and independent - NOT the time you spend in hospital . No matter what country you are in, the normal hospital stay for a knee replacement is a few days. And you'll be busy with physio while you are in hospital - don't expect to read too many books or do a lot of chatting !

felice Fri 12-Oct-18 09:25:49

It is in Belguim, last time I went to a rehabilitation centre out in the country.
They like to keep you until you can do most things and are off crutches, my normal health insurance of 6€ a month will cover it. They would also be quick to take action against the Hospital if I went home when I was not ready.
Not all Hospitals offer alcohol, but I had my Heart valve replacement in this one so know they do.
It depends on your condition, and alchohol does not affect my medications, I do not drink much anyway.
I do know what i am talking about and i can assure you I will be in hospital for 4 to 6 weeks at least, I booked my room yesterday when i made all the arrangements. I have had the same operation on the left knee so no matter what you think Stella I will stay in this particular Hospital for that time. I have chosen to stay there rather than go to a seperate centre as the Hospital is close to home so easy for visits.
Kiné(physio) will be arranged to suit me, and I plan to keep Wednesday afternoons free as DGS is off school then and can have a long visit.
Visiting hours are from Noon to 19.00. Yes they are.......
I have a friends who work nearby and the last time i was in they came in with their packed lunches and we all had lunch together, it was all very nice.
The reaction to my post has been as I imagined, everyone more or less telling me I was not telling the truth.
How many of the posters have been in Hospital here.
Why do people assume it is always done the way they think in every country
I assumed by now that most posters knew I lived in Belguim, sorry.

ginny Fri 12-Oct-18 09:34:47

I doubt most people knew you live in Belgium. I certainly didn’t. Had you explained that in your op I expect the comments would have taken a different tone.
I have had both knees replaced and each time I was in hospital for 2 days with outpatient physio. By six week I was leading my life as usual. I can’t imagine being in hospital for 6 weeks for this.

felice Fri 12-Oct-18 10:12:04

I have mentioned it so many times and had a lot of nasty comments during the referendum.
Well thats the way it is done here, obviously it depends on recovery time, the rehab is very thorough, you even have to cook a meal from scratch standing without any aids, as I am a Chef I found that quite funny.
You go to the local supermarket and must be able to walk 500 mts outside the Hospital with 1 crutch or a cane.
Stairs are essential too using them again with one walking aid.
I feel as though I am apologising for living in a country with excellent health care which is geared toward the patient.
Another point is that all Doctors here are self-employed, and sign individual contracts with hospitals, as far as the patients are concerned if you do not like a doctor you choose another one. I went to 5 GPs before I found one I felt really comfortable with when I moved back into Brussels 6 years ago.
Physio after I leave the hospital is also my choice, I had a young man come to the house for 2 weeks last time 3 times a week. He also did some Cardio physio for me to ensure all was working well with my heart.
It may not be the 'same' as yours but that is the way it works here.

Fennel Fri 12-Oct-18 11:20:22

This might seem like luxury to people in the UK but it's usually covered by the insurance policy which most people pay into. We used to pay out about 200 euro a month for 'top up' health insurance.
As well as that, in France, unless you were a british pensioner, you had to pay to join the french health service, 8% of income after allowances. Which covers 70% of costs.
I don't know if it's the same in Belgium.

felice Fri 12-Oct-18 11:35:50

Belguim is not France, as I said I pay 6€ a month for my health insurance.
I will pay approximately 65€ for my entire stay on top of my 6€.
I have been hospitalized here 8 times in 23 years so really do know what i am talking about.
I am not a pensioner nor did I work in one of the 'institutions', I am just an economic migrant.
By the way a lot of people from the UK here seem to go to the really fancy health insurance companies, and are then very surprised to be told they can use the same ones as the locals.
Unfortuately many ask advice of other Brits instead of checking into the local system, then are amazed to be told that they qualify for the same benefits.

Cold Fri 12-Oct-18 18:40:47

I had my knee replacement in Sweden and was in for 4 days because it was and especially difficult operation with a hinged secondary prosthesis.

I was really ready to go home after 4 days (my surgeon was happy for me to stay in for 7-10 days) and would have hated to be in 4-6 weeks.