Gransnet forums

Health

Menopausal misery

(43 Posts)
GlamM Sat 13-Oct-18 10:34:37

Well for those of you on here breezing through the menopause, I envy you , I really do ! I on the other hand have got the delightful symptom of ‘ vaginal atrophy’. I am itching , all day , all night. Nothing helps. I’ve tried everything, brought anything. Had prescriptions from the Doctors- I’m on HRT now the lowest dose , almost 6 months - nothing changed. I’m very lucky my husband is a patient man, because our once active and great sex life is non existent... is there anyone out there who can recommend a PROVEN cream / tablet / pessary. I can’t keep waking up like I’ve been heavy petting with Freddy Kruger. Thanks.

netflixfan Sun 14-Oct-18 14:18:54

Replens helped me.

sylviann Sun 14-Oct-18 14:47:41

Sorry to hear about your plight ,I had a relatively smooth menopause with slight mood swings . Hope you find a solution to your menopausal misery.

Purplepoppies Sun 14-Oct-18 14:52:35

Loobs I too have LS. It's a nightmare. I have struggled with it for 4 years now. I haven't entered into any sort of relationship predominantly because of LS. I'm waiting for a gynae dermatology appointment.
Definitely worth getting that checked GlamM. ?

annodomini Sun 14-Oct-18 15:08:00

Someone I know had LS and when she went for treatment the sign in the hospital said, loud and clear: Vulva Clinic!

Coconut Sun 14-Oct-18 15:19:52

Try aqueous cream, it is very good for itching ....

GlamM Sun 14-Oct-18 17:00:09

I have never used soap / only wear cotton and have also used the wellsprings cream. I woke up today looking like I had used a cheese grater in the night. I’m waiting to see how fast I can be seen by a lady dr. It’s been over 12 months of itching so I’m not going without something to help. Thanks for the advice on options for treatment

Reader54 Sun 14-Oct-18 18:03:30

I totally agree with the other posters about Vagifem. It has transformed my relationship with my husband, before I started with it intercourse felt like a cheese grater, but since starting Vagifem there is no discomfort at all and I have every intention of staying on it for as long as possible. A male GP recently tried very hard to persuade me to stop having it (no real reason; am low-risk and on low dose) clearly not understanding at all how horrible it is to dread sex so much. Needless to say I insisted on continuing with it...

Juliepuk Sun 14-Oct-18 19:01:58

I take Omega 7 daily which does help but you need something more to actually treat it. Get to see your GP asap or at least get Re-plens or Vagimoist cream to help while you wait for an appointment. It's a horrible condition and you shouldn't have to suffer.

Esspee Sun 14-Oct-18 19:22:32

As all menopausal symptoms are caused by lack of oestrogen the most logical treatment is to replace the oestrogen.
I have been doing this for the last 30 years and the benefits are undeniable. My main worry was osteoporosis and by replacing the oestrogen my bone density is excellent. My health is superb and I still work part-time. I am on it for life!
Personally I choose to have the oestrogen implant but understand that might not suit everyone. The benefit to me is only having to think about it two days a year and forget about it for the other 363.
Incidentally I noticed in an earlier reply someone suggested using yoghurt. Yoghurt does work for BV but must be live yoghurt. BV does not however cause itching, just a fishy/rotting flesh smell.
Best wishes OP. Hope you are back to normal soon.

mazgoli Sun 14-Oct-18 23:47:40

GlamM, I feel your pain! I also was diagnosed with vaginal atrophy - it sounds awful, doesn't it? I use vagifem pessaries twice a week (started out using every night), and I can honestly say that things are now back to normal. I felt quite sore all the time, but that has cleared up. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Larsonsmum Mon 15-Oct-18 14:08:08

Vagifem, and ReplensMD

Elenkalubleton Mon 15-Oct-18 16:39:51

Glam M.I’ve had that,Doctor advised using no soap/ shower gel etc.Im also on very low dose hrt.Which helps to lubricate the area.Dont think anything can be done about the atrophy?

Granny23 Mon 15-Oct-18 18:37:32

'GlamM' said I’m very lucky my husband is a patient man, because our once active and great sex life is non existent I know it is not the same but there are numerous ways to satisfy and please your OH which do not involve Vaginal Intercourse........ Just Saying blush

moggie57 Tue 16-Oct-18 17:19:55

do you drink coffee/? i found that drinking less coffee made me itch less....i went through menopause for at least 10 years , i still get hot flushes where i am dripping with pespirations.i am now 61.....wear cotton clothes ,and cut out DAIRY FOOD,.i cant eat eggs /spicy food/ dairy food. cheese is ok.. and its worked for me. oh and take a pro biotic (tablet) a day. and not the drinkable stuff either as that's classed as dairy.do this for a month and tell me how you feel then. i really think what you eat causes menopause to play up..good luck...

fairisle Tue 16-Oct-18 20:40:56

Have you tried soya products?burgens bread,alpro(or shops own brand)milk, yogurts,cream?soya is a plant based oestrogen, it helped me through my menopause,i didn`t bother with HRT.i`m now 54 the only thing i do get from time to time is vaginal dryness,i use vaseline.I thank my lucky stars i haven`t got a sexlife,i1m happily divorced.If soya doesn`t help i would see you GP.x

GlamM Thu 18-Oct-18 10:16:31

So much great advice , I am dairy intolerant so haven’t eaten anything dairy for 20 years, I drink a lot of water , have great bone density and apart from this hidden issue am in great health. I am quite adept also at finding ways to look after my husbands needs .. mine however are a no go ?. I’m sure my Dr will be great I’ve only got another 2 weeks to get in as the waiting list like with most surgery’s is 3 weeks - in the meantime I’ll squish around with more grease in my pants than a full English !

Sparklefizz Mon 22-Oct-18 09:00:39

Just to say, soya is really bad if you also have thyroid problems. It prevents the uptake of Thyroxine. If you google "Thyroid-Soya link", there is a lot of info.

It's often quoted that Japanese women don't suffer menopausal problems because they eat a lot of soya .... but they actually get a lot of thyroid problems instead.