Gransnet forums

Health

IBS ..

(12 Posts)
overthehill Tue 16-Oct-18 09:19:15

Thought I'd share this. I've suffered with IBS D for about 20 years. The consequence of this means going out and long journeys are a nightmare. You have to take a note of toilets en route so you don’t get caught out and I have in the past. Spare underwear you have to take.

Anyway, onto the good news. I never say I am cured as this can come catch you out, but 100% better than I was.

All due to the Fodmap diet. Won't bore you all with specifics you can google them. Basically cutting out certain foods which have been tested to disagree with certain people and reintroduce sometime later with caution to see if that particular food should be avoided.

What this has done for me is amazing. Not only has it stopped the diarrhoea episodes, an ongoing problem with chronic coughing has cleared up and I notice my nails have grown longer and stronger.

Of course chronic diarrhea is depleting your body of essential nutrients and leaving it weaker.

This has been a life changer for me so wanted to pass it on to other sufferes.

merlotgran Tue 16-Oct-18 09:55:13

Well done, overthehill. I cut out gluten from my diet two years ago and my IBS symptoms disappeared within a few days. It's such a liberating feeling even though it took a while for my energy to return.

I think as we age it's important to consider any possible links between diet and illness. Great that you're feeling so much better.

overthehill Tue 16-Oct-18 10:29:32

Yes Merlotgran stupidly I never connected what I was eating with my condition blush

Doodle Tue 16-Oct-18 22:19:37

overthehills DH and I are experimenting with FODMAP at the moment. DH thinks he may have IBS and we have cut down to a few basic ingredients for our daily intake over the next few weeks to see how he gets on. Glad it has had such a positive impact on your health.

jogginggirl Tue 16-Oct-18 22:40:06

Thank you for this post overthehills and I am glad to hear that you are finding some relief with FODMAPS.

I have been following this food plan for around 2 years now - it has been very successful and literally 'changed my life'.

Good luck to all others trying out this 'diet' for IBS relief ??

Lindylou51 Wed 17-Oct-18 08:15:53

Interestingly my IBM cleared after I retiredsmile

Lindylou51 Wed 17-Oct-18 08:17:32

Oops 'IBS'

overthehill Wed 17-Oct-18 08:48:22

Maybe yours was stress related then Lindylou. I did wonder if mine was all in the mind but in my case no.

Nanagem Wed 17-Oct-18 09:00:47

My doctor suggested I cut out certain foods when I was diagnosed 2 years ago, including pork/beef/white bread, there’s so many things I have to avoid now, even mushrooms.

But I tried taking turmeric and pepper, started a few months ago, and have really found a difference, will look into this diet as well, as you say, ibs is a real life changer, I didn’t realise until I had it, it makes you afraid to leave the house.

wildswan16 Wed 17-Oct-18 09:01:10

I suddenly developed IBS and lost over 2 stones before I managed to get on top of it. (Having got absolutely no help from my GP). I followed the FODMAP diet fairly closely for about nine months, and have now found my tolerance levels, being able to eat a little of some of the previously banned foods.

So glad you are feeling better. You are quite right about the loss of nutrients to the body by constant diarrhoea - it affects everything about you doesn't it.

overthehill Wed 17-Oct-18 10:03:44

Hi Nanagem fodmap diet isn't as severe as you might imagine. Meat is allowed as are eggs and if your not lactose intolerant dairy. I personally found wheat in bread a problem but strangely can eat cakes and pastry.....hurrah! I eat sourdough bread with no problems, although made with wheat, the proving process does something to make it tolerable, for me anyway.
My big no-nos are onion, garlic, bread (as above), pasta, apples, pears any fruit with stones.

Nanagem Thu 18-Oct-18 08:39:58

I really cannot eat beef or pork, but I can eat bacon !, chicken lamb, fish, but not shell fish. White bread in moderation but I prefer brown anyway. Pasta and rice are my stable, and dairy in moderation. Fruit and veg I have to be careful, can eat most everyday stuff, except leeks/mushrooms/cauliflower, though I had a little spring greens last night, couldn’t resist, oh dear.